Should the White Sox and Atlanta talk trade?

Whisox05

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Nov 16, 2015 -> 03:46 PM)
why are the Braves so poverty stricken? yes, they sucked, but they have a huge fanbase throughout the south. Atlanta is a big TV market. ???

The interesting thing is that they are the mirror image of the Cubs in that they spent decades being piped into most every home across the entire country, and yet their fan base is horrible, and it was even when they were winning a division title literally every single year.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 16, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)
this is a multi move of sort.

1. they are using the cost of diminishing theory. get rid of players who are going into the arb yrs, for prospects

2. cut down payroll to really the bare minimum that is allowable per the CBA.

3. keeping getting high draft picks.

4. keep the news out there for the fan base to understand..... there is now Atl AL team, so they are the only game in town.

2 is wrong. There is no payroll minimum in MLB.

I mean, the thing with atlanta is NOW is the time where you'd expect the fan base to be a lot healthier. in the 90s, nobody was from ATL but there was a huge boom in transplants. Now you'd think their kids would be growing up and starting to fill the ranks. Maybe that's another ten years of wealth, not sure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2015 -> 11:02 PM)
2 is wrong. There is no payroll minimum in MLB.

i thought 2 or 3 yrs ago miani was getting to a low salary amount that the league intervene, and i thought the office for the union stated something from the rules....

there was 2 complaints, the union and the other owners. 2 or maybe 3 yrs ago.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 16, 2015 -> 04:08 PM)
i thought 2 or 3 yrs ago miani was getting to a low salary amount that the league intervene, and i thought the office for the union stated something from the rules....

there was 2 complaints, the union and the other owners. 2 or maybe 3 yrs ago.

There are owners pissed off because the Marlins are getting a huge check from the luxury tax money, but aren't spending much on payroll. But there is no rule that states they have to spend a specific dollar amount.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2015 -> 11:10 PM)
There are owners pissed off because the Marlins are getting a huge check from the luxury tax money, but aren't spending much on payroll. But there is no rule that states they have to spend a specific dollar amount.

ok, i will go with that.... i stand corrected.

thanks

• 5 months later...

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/re...domestic/nq4t9/

Probably the end of that one...although I'm sure with the recent assault and battery charges, you could get him for an extreme discount to DH.

Now whether JR/KW/Hahn/Ventura would risk bringing him in and the fallout (hey, nobody will notice because the Cubs are soaking up 90% of the spotlight) is another question altogether.

Freeman's contract and age match up perfectly. No team would want to get rid of that. Even a rebuilding team sees that as a guy who's going to be there as soon as a new core is in place.

Dansby Swanson should be up in 11 to 18 months. They'll already be thinking about having some luck bounce their way and get into playoff games at that point (or shortly thereafter, 2018)

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 15, 2015 -> 07:57 PM)
They should be doing what Atlanta is doing to be honest.

I dont blame you for thinking that way. That haul they got for Shelby Miller is what you might expect was offered for frickin' Sale. So Atlanta is doing everything right (well forget Markakis and other past sins)

You see what the Cubs are doing and no one can fault you for thinking that way. Full farm reload still has not happened here, and when you do that, not only can you 'top things off' with FA signings nicely afterward, but the FAs actually WANT to come to you because of that reloading already being in place.

So it is a two-pronged benefit to do what ATL is doing.

Are we good enough right now to get to the playoffs? Yes. So your way is not the only way but it is certainly viable.

Right now we have a lot of talent on 1 yr deals which aint great. You cant get by that way every year.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 20, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
I dont blame you for thinking that way. That haul they got for Shelby Miller is what you might expect was offered for frickin' Sale. So Atlanta is doing everything right (well forget Markakis and other past sins)

You see what the Cubs are doing and no one can fault you for thinking that way. Full farm reload still has not happened here, and when you do that, not only can you 'top things off' with FA signings nicely afterward, but the FAs actually WANT to come to you because of that reloading already being in place.

So it is a two-pronged benefit to do what ATL is doing.

Are we good enough right now to get to the playoffs? Yes. So your way is not the only way but it is certainly viable.

Right now we have a lot of talent on 1 yr deals which aint great. You cant get by that way every year.

Not really. Jackson, Navarro and Avila are all very replaceable players. Danks is a sunk cost and the team will be better when he is gone (that hurts to say, Johnny was my guy for so many years). Latos has been great to this point - but its not like signing him to a deal over 1 year would have been a good move.

Outside of that, I think everyone is controlled for at least two years, and pretty much every one of the above guys is replaceable for similar value to what they're getting paid.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 20, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)
Not really. Jackson, Navarro and Avila are all very replaceable players. Danks is a sunk cost and the team will be better when he is gone (that hurts to say, Johnny was my guy for so many years). Latos has been great to this point - but its not like signing him to a deal over 1 year would have been a good move.

Outside of that, I think everyone is controlled for at least two years, and pretty much every one of the above guys is replaceable for similar value to what they're getting paid.

Jackson, Latos, Rollins, Danks, Navarro, Avila are a lot of people to have on 1 yr deals. Think about how much all that contributes on a daily basis. Next year b/c we have little farm talent, we have to do it all over again. Find multiyear star and/or fix the rest with short term deals. It is a process that will make you wish you had a farm. That is the larger point.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 20, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)
Jackson, Latos, Rollins, Danks, Navarro, Avila are a lot of people to have on 1 yr deals. Think about how much all that contributes on a daily basis. Next year b/c we have little farm talent, we have to do it all over again. Find multiyear star and/or fix the rest with short term deals. It is a process that will make you wish you had a farm. That is the larger point.

Ideally, Fulmer, May, and Anderson take 3 of those spots though.

The sox can't pull a braves like rebuild. The fan base would reject the team possibly more than it did after the white flag and the kids can play era.

Is it any wonder why they haven't pulled the trigger on a rebuild or dumpster fire at the deadline or offseason save for July 2013?

If the sox went to a $50 million or so payroll full of retreads and kids, the cheap Jew comments about Jerry would blow up boards and social media even greater than they are today. And Jerry is f***ing hated on social media these last few years.

The Cubs got the free pass because they are media darlings and theo sold a line of bulls*** about doing things the "right way". And they could financially survive because they have a season ticket waiting list full of brokers and hopeful idiots. Same goes for the actual season ticket holders.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Apr 20, 2016 -> 12:10 PM)
The sox can't pull a braves like rebuild. The fan base would reject the team possibly more than it did after the white flag and the kids can play era.

Is it any wonder why they haven't pulled the trigger on a rebuild or dumpster fire at the deadline or offseason save for July 2013?

If the sox went to a $50 million or so payroll full of retreads and kids, the cheap Jew comments about Jerry would blow up boards and social media even greater than they are today. And Jerry is f***ing hated on social media these last few years.

The Cubs got the free pass because they are media darlings and theo sold a line of bulls*** about doing things the "right way". And they could financially survive because they have a season ticket waiting list full of brokers and hopeful idiots. Same goes for the actual season ticket holders.

Sox had 15k in the house Monday Night for a 1st place team. I'm pretty sure the rebuild crowds would be similar.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 15, 2015 -> 07:40 PM)
http://www.writesox.com/2015/11/chicago-wh...reeman.html?m=1

Freeman has been reported as being available along with maybe some other braves.

No

Sox don't need a first baseman anyway. Need an OF. Old man Markakis would make more sense, and wouldn't cost much.

Edited by GreenSox

Even with the presence of Sale (Trout for the Angels games), Abreu, etc., it hasn't meant much because of the team simply not winning and/or playing entertaining AND sound baseball for three years now.

We're 27th in the majors in attendance at this point.

The only teams behind are OAK, CLE and TB. Two of those are teams with stadium issues, one a team which had the longest streak of consecutive sellouts at Jacobs Field but has simply never recovered from two complete sell-offs/rebuilds and another factor was CLE being hard-hit by the 2008-2009 financial crisis.

CLE drawing 9,890 instead of the White Sox or Reds (today's crowds) drawing about 3,000 more is around the worst-case scenario...and then you have the stadium lease agreement which has a controversial clause subsidizing attendance if it falls below a certain amount, can't remember if it's 1.2 or 1.4 million.

As of this exact moment, we're in first place by 1/2 game over KC and 1 game over the Tigers, with Cleveland trudging along around .500.

Edited by caulfield12