White Sox still deciding on what to do

Whisox05

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 27, 2015 -> 10:54 PM)
Astrubal is a downgrade defensively at short and his bat doesn't carry at 3B. So basically we'd be paying 20+ million for a 2b that isn't a plus bat or glove. I'll pass.

Asdrubal's bat is an upgrade over Alexei, Saladino and Sanchez since Asdrubal had a 744 ops in '15 which is 100+ higher than those three. The defense as I said is debatable because Alexei is regressing and will continue to do so. Asdrubal's glove and bat play up much better at 2B which is a position in need of an upgrade and would move Sanchez into the utility roll where he's likely to end up anyway. If the Sox had to, they could play Saladino at SS which is his natural position. That's if the Sox cannot find an upgrade at SS which they should still have the resources to do even after signing Asdrubal and trading for Lawrie.

A 3-4 year deal for Asdrubal wouldn't be a thing, imo.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 05:03 AM)
Asdrubal's bat is an upgrade over Alexei, Saladino and Sanchez since Asdrubal had a 744 ops in '15 which is 100+ higher than those three. The defense as I said is debatable because Alexei is regressing and will continue to do so. Asdrubal's glove and bat play up much better at 2B which is a position in need of an upgrade and would move Sanchez into the utility roll where he's likely to end up anyway. If the Sox had to, they could play Saladino at SS which is his natural position. That's if the Sox cannot find an upgrade at SS which they should still have the resources to do even after signing Asdrubal and trading for Lawrie.

A 3-4 year deal for Asdrubal wouldn't be a thing, imo.

Looking at his numbers over the last several years, his offense being better than Alexei et al is almost entirely driven by his slugging percentage, he's had OBP of .299, .307, and .315 the last 3 years. His slugging seemed like it has been trending down since 2011, bottoming out in 2014. Last year his HR rate bumped back up a bit, but at the same time he also was hitting a lot more weak infield fly balls & similar hits like that, so from his numbers I question whether a .744 OPS is what you'd get from him on a 3-4 deal.

I certainly can't rule out the .700 OPS/.694 OPS he put up in 2013 and 2014 being more representative of what you'd get from him going forward.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)
Looking at his numbers over the last several years, his offense being better than Alexei et al is almost entirely driven by his slugging percentage, he's had OBP of .299, .307, and .315 the last 3 years. His slugging seemed like it has been trending down since 2011, bottoming out in 2014. Last year his HR rate bumped back up a bit, but at the same time he also was hitting a lot more weak infield fly balls & similar hits like that, so from his numbers I question whether a .744 OPS is what you'd get from him on a 3-4 deal.

I certainly can't rule out the .700 OPS/.694 OPS he put up in 2013 and 2014 being more representative of what you'd get from him going forward.

I'd take him on a 2-year deal 3 at most and flip him next off-season when Anderson is ready (or move to second if Sanchez/Johnson is struggling).

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 10:41 AM)
so, like.....it would be nice to talk about some potential moves that would actually IMPROVE the team.

We're in a world where J.A. Happ gets 3/$36. You want to improve the team? Make as many players from your own system turn into big leaguers as possible. Otherwise you're throwing money out to try to catch up with teams that are paying a huge premium for that "one last piece".

Sign 2B/SS Asdrubal Cabrera 2 years/20 million

Trade SP Chris Beck and SP Brandon Brennan to the A's for 3B Brett Lawrie

Trade 1B Adam LaRoche (Balances the money), SP Frankie Montas, SP Myles Jaye, and OF Adam Engel to the Rockies for OF Carlos Gonzalez and 1B Corelle Prime

Trade RF Avisail Garcia to the Phillies for SP Jesse Biddle

Trade RP Zach Putnam and SP Thad Lowry for UTIL Derek Dietrich

CF Adam Eaton (L)

2B Asdrubal Cabrera (S)

1B Jose Abreu

LF Carlos Gonzalez (L)

3B Brett Lawrie

DH Melky Cabrera (S)

RF Trayce Thompson

C Alex Avila (L)

SS Tyler Saladino

OF J.B Shuck, C Tyler Flowers, 1B/3B Mike Olt, UTIL Derek Dietrich

SP Chris Sale (L)

SP Jose Quintana (L)

SP Carlos Rodon (L)

SP Erik Johnson

SP John Danks (L)

RP Jacob Turner (long man)

RP Jake Petricka

RP Dan Jennings (L)

RP Tommy Kahnle

RP Zach Duke (L)

RP Nate Jones

CP David Robertson

Thoughts?

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)

Trade 1B Adam LaRoche (Balances the money), SP Frankie Montas, SP Myles Jaye, and OF Adam Engel to the Rockies for OF Carlos Gonzalez and 1B Corelle Prime

CF Adam Eaton (L)

2B Asdrubal Cabrera (S)

1B Jose Abreu

LF Carlos Gonzalez (L)

3B Brett Lawrie

DH Melky Cabrera (S)

RF Trayce Thompson

C Alex Avila (L)

SS Tyler Saladino

SP Chris Sale (L)

SP Jose Quintana (L)

SP Carlos Rodon (L)

SP Erik Johnson

SP John Danks (L)

RP Jake Petricka

RP Dan Jennings (L)

RP Tommy Kahnle

RP Zach Duke (L)

RP Nate Jones

CP David Robertson

Thoughts?

I wouldn't trade Putnam for a guy who's just going to be on the bench. He has a pretty solid arm and trading him for a bench guy I feel would be selling low. Especially when teams put a lot of stock on good bullpens now,

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)

CF Adam Eaton (L)

2B Asdrubal Cabrera (S)

1B Jose Abreu

LF Carlos Gonzalez (L)

3B Brett Lawrie

DH Melky Cabrera (S)

RF Trayce Thompson

C Alex Avila (L)

SS Tyler Saladino

SP Chris Sale (L)

SP Jose Quintana (L)

SP Carlos Rodon (L)

SP Erik Johnson

SP John Danks (L)

RP Jake Petricka

RP Dan Jennings (L)

RP Tommy Kahnle

RP Zach Duke (L)

RP Nate Jones

CP David Robertson

Thoughts?

If you're looking for a 2nd basemen to bat 2nd, I'd rather have Howie Kendrick.

I do still have some blind faith in Avi for some reason, but I get trading him.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 10:43 AM)
^^^

I could live with that, although the Avi trade really doesn't make any sense from the Sox perspective. They don't need another lefty pitcher, especially one coming off TJ surgery.

He might be a lefty, but he still has back end of the rotation potential. If anything, maybe he could be a valuable man out of the pen.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
I wouldn't trade Putnam for a guy who's just going to be on the bench. He has a pretty solid arm and trading him for a bench guy I feel would be selling low. Especially when teams put a lot of stock on good bullpens now,

Dietrich could very well play 2B instead of Sanchez. Dietrich is a poor man's Ben Zobrist, imo. He did hit pretty well last year, so it's not like he would be strictly on the bench

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
If you're looking for a 2nd basemen to bat 2nd, I'd rather have Howie Kendrick.

I do still have some blind faith in Avi for some reason, but I get trading him.

Howie Kendrick has a draft pick attached to him, he's out of the question.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)
He might be a lefty, but he still has back end of the rotation potential. If anything, maybe he could be a valuable man out of the pen.

Dietrich could very well play 2B instead of Sanchez. Dietrich is a poor man's Ben Zobrist, imo. He did hit pretty well last year, so it's not like he would be strictly on the bench

You don't even have Sanchez listed at 2B. You have Cabrera there.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)

CF Adam Eaton (L)

2B Asdrubal Cabrera (S)

1B Jose Abreu

LF Carlos Gonzalez (L)

3B Brett Lawrie

DH Melky Cabrera (S)

RF Trayce Thompson

C Alex Avila (L)

SS Tyler Saladino

SP Chris Sale (L)

SP Jose Quintana (L)

SP Carlos Rodon (L)

SP Erik Johnson

SP John Danks (L)

RP Jake Petricka

RP Dan Jennings (L)

RP Tommy Kahnle

RP Zach Duke (L)

RP Nate Jones

CP David Robertson

Thoughts?

I think we're going to make a big move with Colorado. Avi involved. They could take a chance on Avi breaking rough in that ballpark. I hope we try to get their 3B McMahon. They have Arenado so he's expendable.

Rockies get: LaRoche, Montas, Avi and another prospect.

White Sox get: Carlos Gonzalez, Ryan McMahon

As for Cabrera, I'm only interested in him on a one year deal. Anderson should be ready next season. I like bringing him in versus bringing Alexei back because of his switch hitting bat and age.

Then I'd be fine with getting Lawrie from Oakland. I wasn't keen on him at first but the more I thought about it the more it makes sense. Certainly, with our trade history with Oakland. Maybe trade Beck and a low level guy for him.

The wild card in all of this Quintana. I think some team grabs him. For what? I don't know. I hope we can acquire some guys without dealing him.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)

Whoops, was unaware Kendrick got tagged.

Trade- Q to DBacks for Ender Inciarte, Jake Lamb, Peter O'Brien and Randall Delgado

Trade- Putnam, Lowry, and Beck to Oakland for Brett Lawrie

Trade- Avi and Micah to Angels for Nick Tropeano

Eaton LF

Inciarte CF

Melky RF

Abreu 1B

Laroche/O'Brien (LH/RH split)

Lamb 3B

Lawrie 2B

Aliva/Flowers C

Saladino/Sanchez SS

Trey as 4th OF

Sale

Rodon

EJ

Tropeano

Danks

Robertson

Jones

Duke

Delgado

Petricka

Jennings

Turner/Kahnle

Obviously don't love weakening the rotation that much, but I think it's a much better team overall and we would still have Montas/Fullmer in the wings if/when Danks can't be productive.

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
I think we're going to make a big move with Colorado. Avi involved. They could take a chance on Avi breaking rough in that ballpark. I hope we try to get their 3B McMahon. They have Arenado so he's expendable.

Rockies get: LaRoche, Montas, Avi and another prospect.

White Sox get: Carlos Gonzalez, Ryan McMahon

As for Cabrera, I'm only interested in him on a one year deal. Anderson should be ready next season. I like bringing him in versus bringing Alexei back because of his switch hitting bat and age.

Then I'd be fine with getting Lawrie from Oakland. I wasn't keen on him at first but the more I thought about it the more it makes sense. Certainly, with our trade history with Oakland. Maybe trade Beck and a low level guy for him.

The wild card in all of this Quintana. I think some team grabs him. For what? I don't know. I hope we can acquire some guys without dealing him.

Those trades would be steals for the White Sox. I would think Cargo and McMahon and Lawrie would cost more than what you proposed. If those trades were on the table, I'd have to think Hahn would pull the trigger immediately.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)
Those trades would be steals for the White Sox. I would think Cargo and McMahon and Lawrie would cost more than what you proposed. If those trades were on the table, I'd have to think Hahn would pull the trigger immediately.

Probably. I was just throwing something out there because I don't know the true value.

'TheFutureIsNear'

Trade- Q to DBacks for Ender Inciarte, Jake Lamb, Peter O'Brien and Randall Delgado

that would be a haul from dbacks, i don't think Tony larussa would allow that to go thru.

Trade- Putnam, Lowry, and Beck to Oakland for Brett Lawrie

over pay... but i am ok with it.

Trade- Avi and Micah to Angels for Nick Tropeano

i am not sure of tropeano as a long term sp. i may be wrong on this.

Sale

Rodon

EJ

Tropeano

Danks

Obviously don't love weakening the rotation that much, but I think it's a much better team overall and we would still have Montas/Fullmer in the wings if/when Danks can't be productive.

overall i like the trade if it can be done. i still would think of adding maybe leake from the FA market for a 2 or 3 yr plan. to rebuild his value. but it is nice writeup.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 03:42 PM)
Article on Justin Upton on ESPN.com today. 5 teams in the running starting with White Sox. Closing comment was something like Sox never punt, so they will do something. Words to that effect.

This is why we are a perennial mediocre team and wont move into a perennial winner until the Gambler is out of the organization.