White Sox still deciding on what to do

Whisox05

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 10:41 AM)
If we had not decided to go for it this year and hadn't signed Robertson, LaRoche, and Melky, would we have been big players in this FA market?

I think they'd probably go after Heyward since they were interested in him before he was traded to Cardinals and have shown willingness to spend (Tanaka effort).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
The problem with Heyward is that he's not a great hitter. That's a lot of money for excellent defense and solid, but not great, hitting.

It's not "great" but it's very good.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
I feel like Hayward is going to have a career like Adrian Beltre. Some great offensive years, some .700 -.720 ops years, but always elite defense. Unsure if that's worth 200 million.

I think if we were to get him on an 8/9 year deal with opt-outs after year 4 or 5, his older years won't even matter because he likely won't be our problem.

Edited by soxfan2014

I feel like Hayward is going to have a career like Adrian Beltre. Some great offensive years, some .700 -.720 ops years, but always elite defense. Unsure if that's worth 200 million.

Agree and it's not.

What would Upton cost?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)
I think if we were to get him on an 8/9 year deal with opt-outd after year 4 or 5, his older years won't even matter because he likely won't be our problem.

Ya I agree. He's in a unique position being 26 years old. He'll double dip.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
The problem with Heyward is that he's not a great hitter. That's a lot of money for excellent defense and solid, but not great, hitting.

A career .784 OPS with elite defense is worth a lot of money. He's consistently been a 3.5+ WAR player, of any free agents in the last couple years, he is definitely one of the most likely to fulfill the value of his contract.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 11:49 AM)
Yup. So really we'd be signing him to like a 5 year deal.

Only reason why I'm ok with them signing him. I don't really want either Upton or Cespedes (depending on amount of years) personally. Upton just seems like the kind of guy that would come here and just suck. Injury prone, K's a lot, below average defense. Pass.

Although if they signed one of those two I would probably be irrationally excited until we found out either were bad deals.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)
Only reason why I'm ok with them signing him. I don't really want either Upton or Cespedes (depending on amount of years) personally. Upton just seems like the kind of guy that would come here and just suck. Injury prone, K's a lot, below average defense. Pass.

Although if they signed one of those two I would probably be irrationally excited until we found out either were bad deals.

I would prefer Cespedes cause he's played an in AL and doesnt have a pick attached

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)

I feel the exact same way about Upton. He just seems like Alex Rios part two.

Since his career year in 2004 with the Dodgers, Beltre has been worth on average 4.5 WAR per season. If Heyward gets 8 years/200 million, $25 million/year for 4.5 WAR/year would be well more than worth the value of that contract, teams would be ecstatic if Heyward had Beltre's career. And again that's not even including his 2004 season where he had 9.7 WAR.

Edited by OmarComing25