White sox open to trading Avisail Garcia

Whisox05

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The White Sox demonstrate yet again their inability to judge talent and/or develop positional talent when in house. And now they will "sell low" on Garcia, since they have effectively turned him into Viciedo Part 2.

The biggest reason why the White Sox, under its current Kenny/Rick structure should avoid trading away Sale, Q, Abreu, Garcia et al is not because it is not the right move to make (I believe it is), but rather because their collective inability to assess MLB talent is so below par that we would end up getting fleeced in any deal we make. If ever a franchise has grown stale in management, direction and approach, it is our Chicago White Sox. And yet, ticket prices for season ticket holders are up again.

Priceless!

QUOTE (bruni @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)
The White Sox demonstrate yet again their inability to judge talent and/or develop positional talent when in house. And now they will "sell low" on Garcia, since they have effectively turned him into Viciedo Part 2.

The biggest reason why the White Sox, under its current Kenny/Rick structure should avoid trading away Sale, Q, Abreu, Garcia et al is not because it is not the right move to make (I believe it is), but rather because their collective inability to assess MLB talent is so below par that we would end up getting fleeced in any deal we make. If ever a franchise has grown stale in management, direction and approach, it is our Chicago White Sox. And yet, ticket prices for season ticket holders are up again.

Priceless!

Who says they are going to sell low on him. Being open to trading him and trading him for peanuts are two completely different things. If they don't get an offer they like, they keep him.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
Who says they are going to sell low on him. Being open to trading him and trading him for peanuts are two completely different things. If they don't get an offer they like, they keep him.

But part of the problem is that they are so poor as talent evaluators that even in "an offer they like" they will likely end up with sub par pieces coming back.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
But part of the problem is that they are so poor as talent evaluators that even in "an offer they like" they will likely end up with sub par pieces coming back.

In what world are they poor talent evaluators? Was it when they gave Abreu the largest contract in team history? Or when they traded for Eaton? Or when they drafted Sale? Or when they pulled Quintana off the scrap heap? Or do you want to go back further in KW's tenure like when he acquire Contreras for a broken down Loaiza? Or when he acquired Thornton for Borchard?

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 10:10 AM)
In what world are they poor talent evaluators? Was it when they gave Abreu the largest contract in team history? Or when they traded for Eaton? Or when they drafted Sale? Or when they pulled Quintana off the scrap heap? Or do you want to go back further in KW's tenure like when he acquire Contreras for a broken down Loaiza? Or when he acquired Thornton for Borchard?

I mean, probably when they finished in the bottom ten of the league 3 years in a row.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 09:58 AM)
I'd rather the Sox send him down to AAA or keep him around in case of injury than give him away for nothing.

But I'd bet some teams would put some value in him in a larger exchange of players. His potential is tantalizing.

This is how I view it. He does have potential, and just because he hasn't reached it doesn't mean he won't one day. And maybe a team that wants to see if he can reach that potential will offer the Sox a decent trade. I have a feeling the Sox are not as high on him as they once were, but they won't let him go for peanuts.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 10:13 AM)
Garcia has tons of talent. It just isn't being realized, either due to poor development by the Sox and/or poor attitude/work ethic by the player. That's not something that would have been evident when the trade was made.

Why is it not evident?

Why is it not evident?

When you have a lot of talent, minor league ball is often easy. You don't have to work real hard to succeed. When you get to the majors, it gets a lot harder. You can't always tell which players have the work ethic to do what it takes to succeed at a tougher level. You get to evaluate film on the player's swing and defense, and stats.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 10:10 AM)

Besides Eaton and Abreu they have seem to be poor talent evaluators on position side of things. Most of the guys you mentioned has been pitching which yes they can better evaluate. When it comes to position players they are not as good. They haven't developed a very good position player in a long time. Even when they get guys with upside talent they can't seem to get them going or come here and cant produce.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 11:13 AM)
Garcia has tons of talent. It just isn't being realized, either due to poor development by the Sox and/or poor attitude/work ethic by the player. That's not something that would have been evident when the trade was made.

He can't see pitches well enough to recognize where they will go or what they will do. Not being aware of that, despite 2000PA in professional baseball, is a scouting failure IMO.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 10:11 AM)
I mean, probably when they finished in the bottom ten of the league 3 years in a row.

Oh you mean during a rebuild? Yes, because all teams do great in the standings while rebuilding. During these 3 bad years in a row they have acquired Eaton, Abreu, Rodon, Anderson, Montas and Fullmer in various ways who should make up their core for the next 4-5 years minimum. Yes, poor talent evaluators indeed.

He's bad but this thread is ridiculous. Nowhere does it say that they are interested in dumping him for whatever they can get. It clearly states that they may have to include him in a deal to acquire offensive upgrades. It also mentions an NL Scout that said they are frustrated with him. Of course they are. He's a bad baseball player. I'm pretty sure just getting rid of him because, for nothing, is not going to happen.

Dang, this is "MLBTR Legit"

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/11/whit...ail-garcia.html

Moving Avisail Garcia and allowing Thompson to replace him would be a remarkable piece of evidence that the front office is being intellectually honest with itself. That's the s*** I want to see -- be ready to cut bait and change course when the evidence suggests you should.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)

Right because the Sox have never made a good trade or picked up guys undervalued by other clubs that turned out well for them.

The Sox have done a very poor job of developing position players, but they've done OK in trades and international signings, this narrative that they're 100% incompetent when it comes to identifying talent is so lazy and tired.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 10:19 AM)
Oh you mean during a rebuild? Yes, because all teams do great in the standings while rebuilding. During these 3 bad years in a row they have acquired Eaton, Abreu, Rodon, Anderson, Montas and Fullmer in various ways who should make up their core for the next 4-5 years minimum. Yes, poor talent evaluators indeed.

Eaton - poor 2 month+ start (along with several others) helped doom this team in 2015.

Abreu - they won a bidding war on a guy who looks more and more like Trumbo since 2nd half 2014 than any player that can carry a team to the WS going forward. Furthermore he looks increasingly fragile and is better served as our DH vs 1B.

Rodon and Fullmer - you and I could pick top rated undergrad pitching prospects - - this is not evidence of superior or even above average talent evaluation, but merely the byproduct at being a really bad team several years in a row.

Montas - potential yes, but let's not make this out as a huge win at this time - - look at his ERA from his cup of coffee in the bigs last season. Power pitching without control does little good.

Anderson - we don't know what he can do at the MLB level (and likely wont until late 16 or 2017) but so many are drinking the kool aid here. How many wins is he going to earn this team in 2016?

In the meantime our current brain trust (in the middle of their "3-year plan", remember) put bottom 5 production at C, 2B, SS, 3B and RF and bottom 10 production at DH and LF. How do players like Anderson and Fullmer even make an impact in this '3 year' window?

How you can point this as proof of a front office we should have confidence in is beyond me. Other than identifying Q as a lottery ticket to target, I fail to see much that gives me confidence in the current and stale 'brain-trust'.