White sox open to trading Avisail Garcia

Whisox05

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)
Dang, this is "MLBTR Legit"

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/11/whit...ail-garcia.html

Moving Avisail Garcia and allowing Thompson to replace him would be a remarkable piece of evidence that the front office is being intellectually honest with itself. That's the s*** I want to see -- be ready to cut bait and change course when the evidence suggests you should.

Good front offices don't fall in love with players to a fault. It'll ruin teams.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)
Dang, this is "MLBTR Legit"

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/11/whit...ail-garcia.html

Moving Avisail Garcia and allowing Thompson to replace him would be a remarkable piece of evidence that the front office is being intellectually honest with itself. That's the s*** I want to see -- be ready to cut bait and change course when the evidence suggests you should.

your post the reason of moving A Garcia is and are valid point. he will not be able to improve his approach in hitting to help the sox. maybe another team will have the patience to see this done.

but cutting bait and running, i honestly don't see that, with your comment. taking offers and doing it is one thing. and having an A. LaRoche is a perfect example that they are not doing it.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
Right because the Sox have never made a good trade or picked up guys undervalued by other clubs that turned out well for them.

The Sox have done a very poor job of developing position players, but they've done OK in trades and international signings, this narrative that they're 100% incompetent when it comes to identifying talent is so lazy and tired.

It really is. If someone really feels that way, they won't be happy with whatever hitter the White Sox acquire, and will be in rip mode when the deal is made.

These guys do have a World Championship ring. They haven't developed hitters for a while but have recognized good ones through the years.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 04:32 PM)
Right because the Sox have never made a good trade or picked up guys undervalued by other clubs that turned out well for them.

The Sox have done a very poor job of developing position players, but they've done OK in trades and international signings, this narrative that they're 100% incompetent when it comes to identifying talent is so lazy and tired.

he never said 100%, he said part of the problem.

nitpicking small examples for both sides can make this an endless discussion.

but i tend to favor the thought of they had more failure than success, esp in kw regime.

the book is still unfinished on Hahn.

QUOTE (bruni @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
Eaton - poor 2 month+ start (along with several others) helped doom this team in 2015.

Abreu - they won a bidding war on a guy who looks more and more like Trumbo since 2nd half 2014 than any player that can carry a team to the WS going forward. Furthermore he looks increasingly fragile and is better served as our DH vs 1B.

Rodon and Fullmer - you and I could pick top rated undergrad pitching prospects - - this is not evidence of superior or even above average talent evaluation, but merely the byproduct at being a really bad team several years in a row.

Montas - potential yes, but let's not make this out as a huge win at this time - - look at his ERA from his cup of coffee in the bigs last season. Power pitching without control does little good.

Anderson - we don't know what he can do at the MLB level (and likely wont until late 16 or 2017) but so many are drinking the kool aid here. How many wins is he going to earn this team in 2016?

In the meantime our current brain trust (in the middle of their "3-year plan", remember) put bottom 5 production at C, 2B, SS, 3B and RF and bottom 10 production at DH and LF. How do players like Anderson and Fullmer even make an impact in this '3 year' window?

How you can point this as proof of a front office we should have confidence in is beyond me. Other than identifying Q as a lottery ticket to target, I fail to see much that gives me confidence in the current and stale 'brain-trust'.

nice post,

if i can let me add Hawkins and Barum into the mix

QUOTE (bruni @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 10:35 AM)
Eaton - poor 2 month+ start (along with several others) helped doom this team in 2015.

Abreu - they won a bidding war on a guy who looks more and more like Trumbo since 2nd half 2014 than any player that can carry a team to the WS going forward. Furthermore he looks increasingly fragile and is better served as our DH vs 1B.

Rodon and Fullmer - you and I could pick top rated undergrad pitching prospects - - this is not evidence of superior or even above average talent evaluation, but merely the byproduct at being a really bad team several years in a row.

Montas - potential yes, but let's not make this out as a huge win at this time - - look at his ERA from his cup of coffee in the bigs last season. Power pitching without control does little good.

Anderson - we don't know what he can do at the MLB level (and likely wont until late 16 or 2017) but so many are drinking the kool aid here. How many wins is he going to earn this team in 2016?

In the meantime our current brain trust (in the middle of their "3-year plan", remember) put bottom 5 production at C, 2B, SS, 3B and RF and bottom 10 production at DH and LF. How do players like Anderson and Fullmer even make an impact in this '3 year' window?

How you can point this as proof of a front office we should have confidence in is beyond me. Other than identifying Q as a lottery ticket to target, I fail to see much that gives me confidence in the current and stale 'brain-trust'.

Yeah Abreu looks like Trumbo.

GMAB.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 04:51 PM)
LOL, I thought of you right when I saw this "news." Sucks to say I told you so on Avi...

but this path of a acknowledge failure is not over yet. it ends when Avi is off the team and what was the rtn of the prospect or player.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 04:58 PM)
What is different? He posted that Eaton doesn't count as a win in talent evaluation all because 1 really bad month supposedly discounts two really good seasons. Where's the logic in that?

then i apologize for being wrong. my bad..

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 04:58 PM)
What is different? He posted that Eaton doesn't count as a win in talent evaluation all because 1 really bad month supposedly discounts two really good seasons. Where's the logic in that?

ok now i see the point. he was stating for having a bad start and then started about having confidence in the FO.

ok.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 05:03 PM)
Trading Avi now makes no sense.

His value is lower now than it has ever been before...

there are options here.

trade him if the fo can get a rtn they can live with

creating a space for TT to play, b/c he deserve the shot, he earned it.

if not, platoon him or send him to the minors to continue to work on his game.

for me, at least this they should have done to DV 2-3 yrs before they did it.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)
there are options here.

trade him if the fo can get a rtn they can live with

creating a space for TT to play, b/c he deserve the shot, he earned it.

if not, platoon him or send him to the minors to continue to work on his game.

for me, at least this they should have done to DV 2-3 yrs before they did it.

I 100% agree with sending him to AAA for awhile to get his confidence back.

It might be a blow to his ego, but he needs to get back to the fundamentals that made him a top prospect in the first place.

His potential is still there, he just has to work on a couple facets of his game to realize it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 06:10 PM)
Kris Bryant's July makes me really question Theo.

ok i can understand, but all this for 1 player and his talent.

for this discussion.

lets further look into when Bryant was pick or more specifically what was the number was when he was picked.

QUOTE (bruni @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 10:35 AM)

Oh boy, where do I start.

Eaton - So he had a bad month. That doesn't change the fact that he has put up 6.6 fWAR in his time with the Sox. The guy they traded for him, 1.3 fWAR. How is this not a massive win? It was quite clear in Santiago's time with the team that they didn't think that highly of him so they traded him for a player they did think highly of. Sounds like good talent evaluation to me.

Abreu - To compare him to Trumbo is laughable. He seems to have gone through the typical sophomore slump last year and still managed a 3 fWAR season with 30 homers and 100 RBIs.

Rodon and Fullmer - Yes they are top talents but other teams passed on both.

Montas - He was acquired as a throw in in the Peavy, Iglesias, Garcia trade. Part of this trade was shedding nearly $20 million in Sox payroll commitments for a team with no intention of competing the next year. How this could be seen as anything but a win is beyond me. Even if he just ends up being a bullpen guy, he was acquired basically for nothing.

Anderson - While he hasn't proven himself in the majors, he has made great strides both offensively and defensively since the Sox drafted him. Remember he was very raw and did not start playing baseball until his Junior year of high school. He has made great strides and I think at this point everyone will be pretty disappointed if he doesn't become at least an average MLB player. Pretty good talent evaluation there to draft a guy with only a couple years baseball experience.

Q - I love how you just kind of pass him aside when he was the best find of any of them. The guy was picked up for nothing and now is so valuable that he is almost untradeable. Imagine how great of pitchers they could find if they could actually evaluate talent.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 11:14 AM)
I am not a fan of Avi and am fnie if we move him and prospects to get a piece we like at 3B or catcher.

I am a fan and I'm still alright with including him in a trade for a Major League ready piece at a position of need. They shouldn't just give him away.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 19, 2015 -> 06:13 PM)
I 100% agree with sending him to AAA for awhile to get his confidence back.

It might be a blow to his ego, but he needs to get back to the fundamentals that made him a top prospect in the first place.

His potential is still there, he just has to work on a couple facets of his game to realize it.

while you make a point on how you are coming to your opinion...

i will say we have a right to differ.

b/c i will say this in my defense, it is too late to develop this part of a natural skill that comes with any player, if they don't have it, that player has to find a way around that missing skill.

also remember, not every person can learned to be a Mike Trout, they have to have a god given talent.