White Sox sign Alex Avila

soxfan49

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard not to like this. He's been hurt, which has kept his price down, but if he can get healthy there's some real upside. Left-handedness hopefully relegates Flowers to Sale + vs. LHP duties, limiting his ABs nicely. A $2.5m gamble when there really wasn't much else available, and what was would cost a ton of talent.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
A platoon of 2 pretty useless catchers. That's different.

If platooned properly, I think the combo of Flowers and Avila has a shot of putting up a 2.5 to 3.0 fWAR. For a combined $6.5 or so that's not too bad.

Flowers has .751 and .732 OPS against LHP the last two years and Avila had a .720 and .767 OPS against RHP in 2014 and 2013 (I'm discounting his 2015 due to injuries but for the record he was .666 in 2015). Avila is a good defensive catcher and Flowers is solid. I would definitely take solid defense and a low .700s OPS from our catchers. I am actually okay with our catching situation now and think it's time to move on to much more pressing needs.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)
Gross, but at $2.5M, no biggie.

Just hate that this likely takes them out of bigger acquisition at C.

Never say never! :D

November 20, 1980...Jim Essian signed as a free agent. Four years, $1 million (significant for the day)

February 12, 1981...Marc "Booter" Hill as a free agent. ($200,000 in '85...can't find '81 salary)

March 18, 1981...Carlton Fisk signed as a free agent. Five years, $2.9 million

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 08:56 AM)
If platooned properly, I think the combo of Flowers and Avila has a shot of putting up a 2.5 to 3.0 fWAR. For a combined $6.5 or so that's not too bad.

Flowers has .751 and .732 OPS against LHP the last two years and Avila had a .720 and .767 OPS against RHP in 2014 and 2013 (I'm discounting his 2015 due to injuries but for the record he was .666 in 2015). Avila is a good defensive catcher and Flowers is solid. I would definitely take solid defense and a low .700s OPS from our catchers. I am actually okay with our catching situation now and think it's time to move on to much more pressing needs.

I just don't think tyler flowers is a solid defensive catcher. I think this "framing" stat is way overblown and falsely assumes some sort of presaging of an umpire's call. But that aside, he's not good at balls in the dirt. At all. His lateral movement is terrible and you can bet that if there's a runner on 3rd against the Sox the batter can pretty confidently be sitting fastball with Flowers behind the plate. But if we're just talking Avila vs Soto, then it's really just a wash. Alex hasn't been the same since he started battling concussion symptoms and I'll assume he's going to be banged up by the time he leaves Glendale.

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
Unfortunately I think they got worse at this position. Here's the thing. Who gives a s*** if he's a pro? He couldnt hit away from Detriot last year especially at the Cell.

He's a part time catcher. It's not a bad signing or something to have a strong opinion on.

This place is a f***ing joke anymore.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 09:38 AM)
He's a part time catcher. It's not a bad signing or something to have a strong opinion on.

This place is a f***ing joke anymore.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I think most everyone is on board to the Avila move. Hard not to be at the cost.