White Sox sign Alex Avila

soxfan49

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 05:40 PM)
Ventura will play Flowers way more not really a real platoon.

Can

I'm not really sure why so many people think this. There was not a LH option before. Should be Flowers with Sale, possibly Rodon and against all LHP. Avila gets the time against RHP.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)
Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien 10m10 minutes ago

Look beyond Alex Avila's stats. He's more than that. It's a crafty David Ross-type signing. Hahn calls him a "well-respected leader."

I don't get this comment unless he's playing 1 day a week because a guy like Montero is ahead of him on the depth chart. If he's a great leader, that's great, but they need more production from that position. He's probably going to play 2-3 a week so his role on the field is going to be much more important than Ross.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)
Can

I'm not really sure why so many people think this. There was not a LH option before. Should be Flowers with Sale, possibly Rodon and against all LHP. Avila gets the time against RHP.

Pay Avila 2.5 mil to be starting catcher.............pay Flowers 4 mil in arbitration to backup................I do not see it!

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 09:10 PM)
Former All-Star and Silver Slugger in '11. But let's b**** and complain. Ya never know man hope he bounces back. At 2.5 mil if you're b****ing you just need to step back and wait for more moves. This isn't a bad signing.

2011 was 4 years ago.He had a few little life signs last year but not alot. We had a better backup catcher last year who got signed for a few hundred thousand more than he got. Plus your going to have to be smart about platooning these two guys. That's great...we got Robin though. I just see alot of bad matchups with pitchers and plenty of missed opportunities.

If there was someone else managing I would be fine with it. But we dont.

Love this signing. Really thought Avila would get closer to $4M to $5M on a one year deal. His 2011 season appears to be a fluke, but he's consistently shown he could hit RHP prior to last year, posting wRC+ against righties of 107, 113, & 119 from 2014 to 2012. Everything will come down to keeping him healthy and our staff has a pretty good track record. Obviously this isn't the sure thing some of us were looking for, but at $2.5M and no prospects, it's a smart value signing.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 09:10 PM)
Former All-Star and Silver Slugger in '11. But let's b**** and complain. Ya never know man hope he bounces back. At 2.5 mil if you're b****ing you just need to step back and wait for more moves. This isn't a bad signing.

So what has he done lately to give me confidence? Nothing. He's a guy. That's it.

Actually, given the market, this is probably the best thing the Sox could have done. I know, we all want a catcher like Salvador Perez, but there are very few like him on the planet. I don't know what the "average" catcher is like, but Flowers feels pretty darn close to it, and Avila is in that area too. What should we do? Trade all of our best prospects for some better, but not great version of our current duo? Trade Quintana for one? The idea just doesn't set right with me. The catchers don't need to be the best offensive players on the team, and it behooves the Sox to improve their offense in another, less costly, way.

As far as Avila goes, I am happy that that the Sox signed him. It should give Robin more flexibility to match up against pitchers, and hopefully platooning or being Flowers backup will help keep Avila healthy (and as a likely result, productive in his time here).

This is now taken care of and the Sox can focus on more important matters. This move is also by no means and indication that the Sox would pass up the opportunity to acquire a good catcher, provided that the deal is at a reasonable cost. Right now, I'd bet a lot that any deal the Sox have talked about for catchers has been pretty much unreasonable from a trade stand-point.

Why Hahn didn't' send a couple of decent prospects to Houston to Get Jason Castro, a guy who is actually a worse hitter than Flowers, and pay him double, that would have made more sense.

In truth, I think the catching position is becoming like relievers have been viewed in the past. Except for a select few that are worth their weight in gold, you are better off dumpster diving, hoping to catch a guy who will have a good year. There are so many that had that one big year and live off it for half a decade. The middle class catcher is going the way of the Edsel it seems, there are a few, but not many, and if a guy can hit, he can't field and vice versa.

I am not going to kid myself and think Avila is going to be the 2011 version. But his OBP is usually pretty decent. It obviously isn't as big of a weapon as if Micah Johsnon could put up a .350 OBP, but at least he isn't making as many outs and is flipping the line up.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 09:59 PM)
So what has he done lately to give me confidence? Nothing. He's a guy. That's it.

Outside of 2015 he's always hit RHP well, and it was clear he wasn't healthy this year. If he's healthy he's a much better option against RHP than Flowers. Even if he doesn't hit his defense is pretty good. Despite hitting under .200 this year he still had a solid OBP.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 09:16 PM)
2011 was 4 years ago.He had a few little life signs last year but not alot. We had a better backup catcher last year who got signed for a few hundred thousand more than he got. Plus your going to have to be smart about platooning these two guys. That's great...we got Robin though. I just see alot of bad matchups with pitchers and plenty of missed opportunities.

If there was someone else managing I would be fine with it. But we dont.

Ok I'll bite, where has Robin failed with platooning in the past? Who should he have used differently?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 26, 2015 -> 11:37 AM)
It is amazing how many people think Robin Ventura knows so much less about Major League Baseball than people who have never been in a clubhouse.

Nice assumption there.

I'll answer the previous question though. I dont think he handled Zach Duke,Adam LaRoche and Tyler Flowers correctly regarding to matchups.

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 26, 2015 -> 01:10 PM)
Nice assumption there.

I'll answer the previous question though. I dont think he handled Zach Duke,Adam LaRoche and Tyler Flowers correctly regarding to matchups.

Zach Duke's big selling point was that he had neutral platoon splits. In order to platoon Tyler Flowers, one first needs a left-handed player with which to platoon him. LaRoche should be platooned at this point, but you could argue that if he wasn't going to get in his groove and be an effective everyday hitter, the Sox weren't going anywhere anyway, so they were giving him every chance to get it going.