White Sox sign Alex Avila

soxfan49

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
Unfortunately I think they got worse at this position. Here's the thing. Who gives a s*** if he's a pro? He couldnt hit away from Detriot last year especially at the Cell.

Comerica is one of the worst ballparks for offense in baseball. You really think he's going to drop off from moving from a bad hitter's park to what has traditionally been a great hitter's park? Come on, it's not like he's coming from Coors.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
He's a part time catcher. It's not a bad signing or something to have a strong opinion on.

This place is a f***ing joke anymore.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

You have to expect to see some negative nannymuggins after a year like last year.

Message boards are overly emotional.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
He's a part time catcher. It's not a bad signing or something to have a strong opinion on.

This place is a f***ing joke anymore.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Your right...this place is certainly not a joke anymore :P

It's not the end of the world. His batting splits have some pretty awful signs in it though.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)
Comerica is one of the worst ballparks for offense in baseball. You really think he's going to drop off from moving from a bad hitter's park to what has traditionally been a great hitter's park? Come on, it's not like he's coming from Coors.

Well the problem is he wasnt hitting well in Comerica either. Just that it wasnt nearly as blackholeish as everywhere else.

Let's keep this in mind to...do you really think Robin is going to put either of them in position to fully maximize their value? That's the main problem I have with a platoon.

Edited by Baron

I feel like the cost to acquire a .750+ OPS catcher is so high I have no desire to do anything else but this. Love this signing. We have a gigantic crater in an actuall offensive position in 2b/3b/RF and everyone wants to pay out the wazoo for a marginal offensive gain at catcher. Unless buster posey is available I have no desire to trade the farm for a .760 ops catcher when we can go and sign a great 2b for 10 million and have a much better offensive upgrade.

Rick Hahn says it's too early to say how playing time will be divided between Avila and Flowers at catcher.

https://twitter.com/ESPNChiSox/status/669573109654138889

Hahn talks about flexibility behind the plate provided by the Avila signing

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/669573159591542788

Hahn says that while Avila's numbes have declined, he still can get on base and hit for power vs. righties.

https://twitter.com/ESPNChiSox/status/669573753920188416

Hahn said catcher's market has moved a little more quickly than other markets. Avila was a White Sox target

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/669573988327276545

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)
Well the problem is he wasnt hitting well in Comerica either. Just that it wasnt nearly as blackholeish as everywhere else.

Let's keep this in mind to...do you really think Robin is going to put either of them in position to fully maximize their value? That's the main problem I have with a platoon.

His problem has been injury, for quite some time. I think if you could squeeze a miraculous (somewhat) healthy season out of him, you would get good results

Catchers almost as a rule can't hit. It's better the Sox spend no trade chips on a mediocre guy. This guy is a lot like Geo except left handed. No average, decent OBP, power, decent defensively. He has been the starting catcher on many playoff teams and he is still in his 20's, and signed for less than what Geo received.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)
His problem has been injury, for quite some time. I think if you could squeeze a miraculous (somewhat) healthy season out of him, you would get good results

That's fine. I just have a hard time believing that Robin is going to put these guys in position to maximize value. Especially when he has yet to do that in his tenure here.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
Catchers almost as a rule can't hit. It's better the Sox spend no trade chips on a mediocre guy. This guy is a lot like Geo except left handed. No average, decent OBP, power, decent defensively. He has been the starting catcher on many playoff teams and he is still in his 20's, and signed for less than what Geo received.

Bingo. I'm so glad we didn't ship out Q for Castro a couple years ago.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
Bingo. I'm so glad we didn't ship out Q for Castro a couple years ago.

Ideally we traded Soto for Avila. Soto probably has a little more pop and Avila is a little better defensively. Hahn saved $300,000 which he can use to ............................................