Bacon Going Home

GGajewski18

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 06:41 PM)
Back to Atlanta, Georgia to play for the Braves.

1 year/1.25 million.

Let's start an appreciation thread!

I for one liked Gordon Beckham. Hope he does well in the NL with the Braves. He struggled with the bat for sure but handled that glove at 2B and 3B real well. I was hoping he might stay with us as a super sub again, or be given the chance at 3B again

Braves To Sign Gordon Beckham

By Steve Adams | December 2, 2015 at 11:40am CST

The Braves have agreed to a one-year contract with Gordon Beckham that will guarantee the longtime White Sox infielder $1.25MM, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). The Relativity Sports client can earn an additional $500K worth of incentives, tweets MLB.com’s Mark Bowman.

Despite having been in the league for seven seasons, Beckham is still just 29 years of age. He’s coming off a disappointing season in Chicago that saw him bat a career-worst .209/.275/.332 in 237 plate appearances, though defensive metrics did praise his work at both second base and third base last season. Beckham carries a good bit of experience at both positions and is a lifetime .242/.304/.372 hitter that has averaged 13 homers per 162 games.

While he hasn’t lived up to the expectations many carried when he was selected with the eighth overall pick in the 2008 draft, Beckham will provide the Braves with an option at either second base or third base, both of which are positions of need in Atlanta. While Jace Peterson had a solid three-month run at second base in 2015, he wilted considerably from July through season’s end, hitting just .212/.281/.297 over his final 80 games/299 plate appearances. Some pegged Peterson as a utility player more than a starter when he was coming through the Padres’ system, and Beckham at least gives Atlanta a platoon partner for Peterson, who hit a dreadful .190/.234/.276 versus lefties in 2015.

At third base, Hector Olivera was believed to be a possible long-term option, but the Braves have recently transitioned him to the outfield, so there’s an opening at the hot corner as well. While Beckham probably won’t be counted on as an everyday option there, he does provide some experience at the position and give the Braves an element of depth.

Beckham’s signing could mean that infielder Pedro Ciriaco isn’t long for the Braves’ 40-man roster. The deadline to tender arbitration-eligible players a contract is tonight, and with Beckham and Adonis Garcia both serving as fellow right-handed options, the Braves could jettison the well-traveled Ciriaco.

I am super appreciative that when I bought his jersey after his rookie year, that I did so on the 1959 throwback's with no name on it. Now I can say that is an Iguchi jersey for the beginning of the season and then hopefully by June I can say I was the first one to grab the Carson Fulmer jersey ... and THAT is how you do that.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 12:58 PM)
I am super appreciative that when I bought his jersey after his rookie year, that I did so on the 1959 throwback's with no name on it. Now I can say that is an Iguchi jersey for the beginning of the season and then hopefully by June I can say I was the first one to grab the Carson Fulmer jersey ... and THAT is how you do that.

Or possibly Brett Lawrie

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 01:23 PM)
How in the world did he get a major league contract?

The Braves are in rebuild mode so the move makes sense given the price. Bacon buys them a year to develop more infielders in the minors.

Anyway, let be the first to say " he gawn " , aaaaagain.

I cant hate Beckham. The bar was set to superstar level right off the bat. I don't think that them throwing him in there right away made him any worse of a player to this point. He is what he is, sometimes guys don't pan out to what their perceived ceilings were. Its not like he didnt give his all.

I'm sorry but Beckham was not rushed by the FO. Beckham hit well in the minors in '08/'09 and hit well for the Sox when he was called up in '09. Beckham failed the Sox. In 2010 pitchers made adjustments and Beckham was never able to re-adjust his game. Bottom line is Beckham's talent topped out at an early age. I will say this for Beckham, he lasted longer than Fields. :lol: