Another shooting: San Bernadino

Quin

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me to shut up and go away if this is a greg post but when the Brady assault weapon ban expired these weapons then became easier to get correct?

If so, I wonder how many would have been deemed illegal under this law that are now legal and if there have been reporting on this.

Again if I am wrong just tell me and I will go away but that seemed to be a big topic years ago and seems to be under the auspices of "gun control".

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)
I don't know a lot about them, but I do know those guns are highly customizable. I doubt hunters use them as machine guns to take down a deer or whatever.

I'm with you on home defense. Maybe the theory is if an intruder sees that kind of gun they'd be scared off more than with a shotgun? I dunno. You'd certainly get more shots with that rifle over a shotgun though.

Nothing (most likely) scares away an intruder more than hearing a mossberg pump shotgun being cocked. It would blow a hole or even cut a guy in half at pretty close range in your house. WIth assault rifles we are talking about too many shots with bullets that could possibly tear through your walls into your kids bedroom-no thanks.

To me, a FOID and concealed carry card holder, those guns make zero sense.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)
Tell me to shut up and go away if this is a greg post but when the Brady assault weapon ban expired these weapons then became easier to get correct?

If so, I wonder how many would have been deemed illegal under this law that are now legal and if there have been reporting on this.

Again if I am wrong just tell me and I will go away but that seemed to be a big topic years ago and seems to be under the auspices of "gun control".

I believe thats part of it. Also the NRA spends more than 40 million dollars per year helping get their folks elected into office.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)
These two had a small baby, 6 months old, what the hell?

Thats what makes me say this is a radical religious killing. To be willing to effectively end your life and slay dozens of people because you are mad at the workplace?... I guess its been done before but when its done by someone who is Muslim who recently traveled to the middle east we are going to naturally think terrorism right away.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
Thats what makes me say this is a radical religious killing. To be willing to effectively end your life and slay dozens of people because you are mad at the workplace?... I guess its been done before but when its done by someone who is Muslim who recently traveled to the middle east we are going to naturally think terrorism right away.

It would make sense that they picked the soft of the softest target possible as well, but it IS weird he worked there. Thats the confusion.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 10:54 AM)
It would make sense that they picked the soft of the softest target possible as well, but it IS weird he worked there. Thats the confusion.

Right, it's such an odd target that doesn't seem to fit other narratives of dense population or iconic places.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
Right, it's such an odd target that doesn't seem to fit other narratives of dense population or iconic places.

San Bernadino is a super odd city to carry out one of these attacks and the target is even weirder.

Given the results, it was a pretty "soft" target. He was already very familiar with it, so he didn't have to do much recon of the building, they managed to go in and out and escape for a while. The fact that he worked there maybe added a little personal touch to it. While it may not fit the popular ISIS narrative, it still will lead to the same result with the public if he is found to have been converted after his trip to the Middle East.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 11:04 AM)
Given the results, it was a pretty "soft" target. He was already very familiar with it, so he didn't have to do much recon of the building, they managed to go in and out and escape for a while. The fact that he worked there maybe added a little personal touch to it. While it may not fit the popular ISIS narrative, it still will lead to the same result with the public if he is found to have been converted after his trip to the Middle East.

He worked for the Department of Environmental Health, which means this isn't the building that he worked in. His company or department just rented out a room at care center for people with disabilities for their holiday party, if I'm not mistaken.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
He worked for the Department of Environmental Health, which means this isn't the building that he worked in. His company or department just rented out a room at care center for people with disabilities for their holiday party, if I'm not mistaken.

Scratch that. Now they are saying it was indeed the building that he worked in.

It sounds like it is both from what they are saying. The dude has ties to terrorists that the FBI has been following with him having contact with them through social media and such. Plus he has grievances with those he worked with that sparked the whole thing to happen now. It makes sense.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 09:46 AM)
I believe thats part of it. Also the NRA spends more than 40 million dollars per year helping get their folks elected into office.

The AWB only banned guns for cosmetic reasons. If it had an adjustable or collapsing stock, it was on the list. if it had what is called an accessory rail (for scopes or laser sights) , it was on the list. They even had a bolt action Marlin .22 rifle on there, one that you could buy at SEARS back in the day, because it had a scope, adjustable stock and a spot for adding a bayonette or flashlight, if wanted. The latest news report I heard was handguns purchased legally and an AR-style that was purchased 'legally', but not by the asshole. So if it was a straw purchase, the it really wasn't purchased legally, and they should really f*** up whoever bought it and gave it to him.

I'm numb to caring about the shooters. All I want to know is if it was an act of terrorism and what group they are affiliated with. The coverage of the killers no longer interests me in these horrible cases of mass murder. I hope those 2 people enjoyed the lives they were given. Let's see they were born and raised to ultimately go into a place and kill more than a dozen innocent people. Nice lives. Bastards.

This shooting has a little bit of everything.

Workplace Grievance for sure.

From CNN's updated coverage, you get a bit of mixed messages on the "radicalization" link.

On one hand it says..

apparently was radicalized and in touch with people being investigated by the FBI for international terrorism, law enforcement officials said Thursday.

Then later in the article it says..

Yet Farook himself had talked by phone and on social media with more than one person being investigated for terrorism, law enforcement officials said.

The communications were "soft connections" in that they weren't frequent, one law enforcement official said. It had been a few months since Farook's last back-and-forth with these people, who officials said were not considered high priority.

So in a nutshell, as of now, he spoke a few times, months ago, with some guys, who may or may not be terrorists. And if they were, they weren't prominent figures.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
San Bernadino is a super odd city to carry out one of these attacks and the target is even weirder.

I agree. To me, if you're trying to perform a terrorist act, it would make more sense to hit up one building with a ton of people in a large city where the US would take it personal. LA, Chicago, New York. That's why I think the 9/11 tragedy resonated with everyone. It was a large american city which killed so many. If this was a terrorist act, why not drive 45 minutes to LA, go into a downtown office building and start spraying? You hit more people without having to hit up multiple places. Therefore your chance of destruction is even larger. You may say, they wanted to keep their lives but the mis-steps made after going home were that of an amateur that didn't know what he/she was doing.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 12:04 PM)

What makes less sense is this - they essentially got away with it. It was 5 hours which is more than enough to board a plane and be on their merry way. Hell, they didn't close down freeway exits until 3 hours after it happened. By then, even though they stupidly chose to go home, as long as they removed the vests, layed low, they still probably would've been able to get away with it. What makes it bizarre to me is that they chose to go home instead of booking it to Ontario Airport (20 minute ride at that point in time) and flying out to some other city.

I still believe it was a situation where the employee was pissed at his co-workers, managers, etc. and it was brewing for some time. Maybe he was promised something, who knows. He attends this party initially to make sure his targets show up. When they do, he leaves. He paces back and forth wondering if he should go through with it. He's convinced he should. He gets the guns and gear and goes for it.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
This shooting has a little bit of everything.

Workplace Grievance for sure.

From CNN's updated coverage, you get a bit of mixed messages on the "radicalization" link.

On one hand it says..

apparently was radicalized and in touch with people being investigated by the FBI for international terrorism, law enforcement officials said Thursday.

Then later in the article it says..

Yet Farook himself had talked by phone and on social media with more than one person being investigated for terrorism, law enforcement officials said.

The communications were "soft connections" in that they weren't frequent, one law enforcement official said. It had been a few months since Farook's last back-and-forth with these people, who officials said were not considered high priority.

So in a nutshell, as of now, he spoke a few times, months ago, with some guys, who may or may not be terrorists. And if they were, they weren't prominent figures.

Not sure there's any evidence of that yet. Given the buildup of ammo, the pipe bombs, etc. seems to me this is a terrorist act against the easiest target he could think of. Someplace where he knew the layout, knew the security and knew where people would be.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 09:49 AM)
Not sure there's any evidence of that yet. Given the buildup of ammo, the pipe bombs, etc. seems to me this is a terrorist act against the easiest target he could think of. Someplace where he knew the layout, knew the security and knew where people would be.

Couldnt a terrorist easily plot these things out for basically anywhere? Like a mall or any venue that that is going to hold a lot of people at one time. I know security is a little amped up but really nothing that could stop the spraying of bullets for a couple of minutes.