Second baseman Jose Miguel Fernandez defects

Special K

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)
Can this guy play third base at all or is he strictly a second baseman?

Said he could hold down the position in terms of fielding but his arm may not be strong enough.

But from the article, it sounds like he gets on base on a ton and never strikes out. Would slot very well in the number 2 hole, wouldn't cost a draft pick, and fill a void at 2b. Could stick Melky down in the lineup at 6 or 7. This makes too much sense. Hopefully Abreu is recruiting.

QUOTE (Special K @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
But from the article, it sounds like he gets on base on a ton and never strikes out. Would slot very well in the number 2 hole, wouldn't cost a draft pick, and fill a void at 2b. Could stick Melky down in the lineup at 6 or 7. This makes too much sense. Hopefully Abreu is recruiting.

Probably too busy honeymooning

Does Carlos Sanchez grade out as a good defensive 2B? How does he project defensively at SS? I'm not convinced at all that he has a major league bat that can be in the lineup everyday, but he could be a 1 year stop-gap at SS (while waiting for Anderson) if there were to make a move for Fernandez.

How much money will this cost? Is he a good offensive player, more of a defensive player, etc?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 09:15 AM)
Does Carlos Sanchez grade out as a good defensive 2B? How does he project defensively at SS? I'm not convinced at all that he has a major league bat that can be in the lineup everyday, but he could be a 1 year stop-gap at SS (while waiting for Anderson) if there were to make a move for Fernandez.

How much money will this cost? Is he a good offensive player, more of a defensive player, etc?

Carlos Sanchez is a very good defensive 2B. I don't need advanced metrics to tell me that. I think he'd be passable at SS, but nothing special.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
Sanchez can be an elite defensive second baseman, but his bat has more potential than people here seem to think. He has shown flashes of being a decent contact hitter.

Only 23. He's been young at every level. Not sure his offensive ceiling is that great but I do expect him to be better with time. He's one incumbent I wouldn't mind them giving a shot.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
Sanchez can be an elite defensive second baseman, but his bat has more potential than people here seem to think. He has shown flashes of being a decent contact hitter.

I agree with you. I think he is going to be a really good OBP guy in the future. He is still really young and will be elite defensively at 2B and can be at least league average with the bat. He will never walk or K a ton or put up big power numbers, but he will put the ball in play a lot which is extremely valuable. He is still only 23, lots of upside left to realize.

I really wanted Fernandez a year ago when he tried to defect the first time. But given the makeup of the team, I don't think that he is a piece that will turn around the fortunes of this team. He is average defensively, a great contact hitter, but with few other tools. I think by the time he is 27 Sanchez has a chance at being a better player. I would rather invest that money into getting some OF in the system.

Edited by IowaSoxFan

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 10:15 AM)

I would think Saladino would get 1st crack at SS over Carlos if we don't bring anyone else in. His defense is superior to Carlos at SS and both have very questionable bats. Probably the best and cheapest scenario is a platoon with both rather than wasting $ on a guy like Asdrubal Cabrera or someone like that. Should be improved defense over Alexei and hopefully they can't do any worse than on offense than he gave us for 3/4 of the year.