Will Middlebrooks non-tendered

Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 11:33 PM)
The night of the Peavy trade, when we found out which teams are involved, I said: "I'll be happy as long as we don't end up with Will Middlebrooks or Avisail Garcia."

It seems pretty likely that we're about to have both at once!

What is "pretty likely" based upon?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 01:10 PM)
No thanks on Middlebrooks. I would hope the Sox have their 3B sights set just a bit higher than that.

yeah i agree,

but as i said last nite, i really am starting to get a little excited on the many possibilities of getting better in the middle portion of the over starting team and of course now it will all depends on the the green lite and the salary.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 07:00 AM)
Well, I know how much we like young, poor-hitting 3B... see Olt, Davidson, Gillaspie, etc.

Olt, Davidson and Middlebrooks were all the coveted "top prospects" many seem to really like.

When you don't get on base much without getting a hit and strike out a ton, it leads to becoming a bust. Olt looked decent in stretches. I don't think the Sox are counting on him, but see what he is in Spring Training. He did realize he had to change things, and altered his swing.

As for Middlebrooks, the Sox could have had him in 2013 when the shine was coming off but not totally like it is now. They passed. I would expect them to pass again unless he has a thing for Charlotte.

Edited by Dick Allen

If we are going into rebuild mode, sign him up and hope he realizes some of the potential that made him a top 10 prospect. If he fails its not a huge risk and if he succeeds you either have a long term piece or a trade chip to help reinforce the farm when Trey is ready.

He is at least passable defensively, offensively he is a train wreck, but so were guys like Arrieta, Donaldson, and Grandal at one point as top prospects that flamed out and then a light went on. I wouldn't get in a bidding war for him or anything, but given the state of the team he is worth a flyer.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
If we are going into rebuild mode, sign him up and hope he realizes some of the potential that made him a top 10 prospect. If he fails its not a huge risk and if he succeeds you either have a long term piece or a trade chip to help reinforce the farm when Trey is ready.

He is at least passable defensively, offensively he is a train wreck, but so were guys like Arrieta, Donaldson, and Grandal at one point as top prospects that flamed out and then a light went on. I wouldn't get in a bidding war for him or anything, but given the state of the team he is worth a flyer.

This

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 10:15 PM)
Not to push for this guy to be signed, but the Sox had an interest in Middlebrook before. Maybe Coop can fix em

nah, coop is thinking of leaving baseball, he is going to DC to fix the economy,