White Sox exploring Nobuhiro Matsuda

Whisox05

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 04:47 PM)
Well I would hope we dont give him a 4 year deal. 2 is probably right where you want to be. But I'm not sure he would move over here for 2 years unless the money was way above that offer from Japan.

I wouldn't read too much into it. The Sox need a 3B and its Hahn's job to explore every opportunity. If there's a match then great, if not the search continues.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)
I wouldn't read too much into it. The Sox need a 3B and its Hahn's job to explore every opportunity. If there's a match then great, if not the search continues.

Well it's worth discussing because it's the latest info we've had. Plus it's really the only position where we are getting some names right now.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 04:54 PM)
Well it's worth discussing because it's the latest info we've had. Plus it's really the only position where we are getting some names right now.

If he has a 4/20M then he should take it because I think it would be stupid of the Sox to offer a 4 year deal to a 32 year old player that hasn't p!ayed the majors yet. Imo, its not a match for the Sox and they should move on from Matsuda. If Matsuda is seeking that kind of contract then there's nothing left to discuss since its not a fit for both sides.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 04:06 PM)
Japan is pretty much on the other side of the planet from San Diego and Chicago. Are there non-stops to Tokyo out of SD? I know there are out of ORD.

Not that it matters. If he's coming to the USA he's going to be far from home.

Oh and I don't think a Japanese player is going to feel right at home down at Cermak and Wentworth. Not all asians are the same lol.

There are a few suburbs that are crawling with Japanese people. You're the racist here.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
I will take a 3B with good defense and some pop. If he doesn't walk much oh well, Sox aren't really in a position to acquire a player who does everything well.

My idea all along has been grab a handful of players who do a minimum of two things very well, and maybe aren't great the rest. Emphasis on baserunning and defense. Matsuda provides a defensive upgrade and probably some HR power, that's enough to keep me sated.

The problem with a lack of walks in this case isn't just the direct effect. It is perhaps an indicator that they lack plate discipline and would struggle to hit consistently against MLB pitching.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 01:35 PM)
The problem with a lack of walks in this case isn't just the direct effect. It is perhaps an indicator that they lack plate discipline and would struggle to hit consistently against MLB pitching.

more like guessing

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 02:05 PM)
Not sure what you mean here. I mean, of course I am guessing, if that is what you mean - but I was just pointing out where the lack of walks can have multiple meanings. Or do you mean the hitter is guessing?

nope, i mean hitters who never have the gift of picking up the pitches just goes up there and guess and swing.

sorry for not making myself clearer.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 06:30 PM)
He was saying because of how close we were to trading for Lawrie

He does seem to have some inside info though, so I am curious as well if he is just putting 2 and 2 together or if this is what he was told from someone in the know.

• 2 weeks later...