Todd Frazier Available

GGajewski18

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 11:06 AM)
This is how I feel too. Frazier's age, second half collapse and two years of control make it easy for me to want to keep Anderson. Plus, I believe Anderson will continue to progress and become the SS of the future for the Sox when he's ready.

Sadly, I agree as well. It would be different if Frazier was a bonafide stud or something.

Not trading for him means we're not going to compete next year. This is going to be a long, dreadful season.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 05:10 PM)
Sadly, I agree as well. It would be different if Frazier was a bonafide stud or something.

Not trading for him means we're not going to compete next year. This is going to be a long, dreadful season.

not necessarily, so if the sox don't trade for him, it doesn't mean that they may not explore other options.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 06:23 PM)
It's come up before, but if the Sox want to acquire Frazier and Anderson has to be involved, I'm alright with that on the condition they sign one of the premier OF's on the market to go along with the Frazier acquisition. But as many have said, just acquiring Frazier and Lawire and calling it an offseason would make me more upset than if they did nothing. At that point you gave up pieces of your future for what seems like an 81 win finish.

If you're going to go for it, go for it all in. If you want just to just fill holes and build for the future, that's ok too, but don't fall in the middle.

i totally agree, they would have to have a bigger pkg for a bigger trade.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)

I think 2016 is a year in development. Get Rodon/EJ more IP/experience, get Thompson/ Sanchez/Saladino more atbats to see if they progress, keep Lawrie at 3B to see if he can get back to his pre-injury self, Avi- don't know what the f*** to say about him. Using 2016 as a year to develop gives the Sox a chance to see what they have in the majors and minors. After 2016 they will have a better idea and both Danks/LaRoche salaries off the books so they will be in better shape to take on more salary through trades. Also, most of the Sox minor league talent is at AA or below so allowing a year of development gives Sox minor leaguers more time to develop which will raise their values for next off season.

Another year gives Montas and Fulmer time to develop so if one or both show they are ready, then the Sox can trade one or two of Sale/Q/EJ. Next off seasons FA pitching market is horrible so that's when the Sox should strike and go for the " haul " that's been discussed so often.

If the Sox can stay patient for just one more season things would really line up well for next off season to put out a legit contender for '17 and beyond. The Royals are still riding high and the Twins are rising ast so let them have their moment in the sun, for 2016 anyway. :)

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 05:39 PM)
I think 2016 is a year in development. Get Rodon/EJ more IP/experience, get Thompson/ Sanchez/Saladino more atbats to see if they progress, keep Lawrie at 3B to see if he can get back to his pre-injury self, Avi- don't know what the f*** to say about him. Using 2016 as a year to develop gives the Sox a chance to see what they have in the majors and minors. After 2016 they will have a better idea and both Danks/LaRoche salaries off the books so they will be in better shape to take on more salary through trades. Also, most of the Sox minor league talent is at AA or below so allowing a year of development gives Sox minor leaguers more time to develop which will raise their values for next off season.

Another year gives Montas and Fulmer time to develop so if one or both show they are ready, then the Sox can trade one or two of Sale/Q/EJ. Next off seasons FA pitching market is horrible so that's when the Sox should strike and go for the " haul " that's been discussed so often.

If the Sox can stay patient for just one more season things would really line up well for next off season to put out a legit contender for '17 and beyond. The Royals are still riding high and the Twins are rising ast so let them have their moment in the sun, for 2016 anyway. :)

i agree, beside developmental, but a yr of new players getting bounded or use to a new environment.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 11:23 AM)
It's come up before, but if the Sox want to acquire Frazier and Anderson has to be involved, I'm alright with that on the condition they sign one of the premier OF's on the market to go along with the Frazier acquisition. But as many have said, just acquiring Frazier and Lawire and calling it an offseason would make me more upset than if they did nothing. At that point you gave up pieces of your future for what seems like an 81 win finish.

If you're going to go for it, go for it all in. If you want just to just fill holes and build for the future, that's ok too, but don't fall in the middle.

AMEN.

If you're going to go for it, go for it. But don't trade an Anderson and then trot out Garcia and LaRoche and have Erik Johnson as your #5.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
AMEN.

If you're going to go for it, go for it. But don't trade an Anderson and then trot out Garcia and LaRoche and have Erik Johnson as your #5.

Agreed. I have been against the approach of signing free agents year after year because of their inability to develop position players, but they can't say they wan to go for it while Chris Sale is in his prime, and then leave so many gaping holes when some of them could be addressed in free agency AND in one season, they do drop $25+ million off the payroll when Danks/La Roche are up. I'm sure they could find a way to get creative, and pay a free agent less money in year one, but make up for it the back of the deal and/or give that player an option to opt-out early.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 07:58 PM)
Agreed. I have been against the approach of signing free agents year after year because of their inability to develop position players, but they can't say they wan to go for it while Chris Sale is in his prime, and then leave so many gaping holes when some of them could be addressed in free agency AND in one season, they do drop $25+ million off the payroll when Danks/La Roche are up. I'm sure they could find a way to get creative, and pay a free agent less money in year one, but make up for it the back of the deal and/or give that player an option to opt-out early.

they have been drafting way better, esp in the hitter dept. with hahn, i fully trust that problem will be fixed in the future.

but the problem in now in the interim.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 12:39 PM)

Plus, unlike many, I'm not throwing in the towel on Garcia just yet. He's 24 and played 1 full season in the majors. I still think he has a lot of potential and want to see what he can do in year 2 before dumping him.

But I could also see adding players while developing. I wouldn't mind him moving to LF, Melky to DH, and signing one of the big 3 OF's to play RF.

As for Frazier, I wonder how highly thought of Trey M. is in baseball circles. Maybe Trey, Beck/Danish, and Micah could get it done.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
they have been drafting way better, esp in the hitter dept. with hahn, i fully trust that problem will be fixed in the future.

but the problem in now in the interim.

If they are drafting better, all the more reason to keep them and let them come to the majors as a White Sox player. The alternative is much harder - keep trading young players away for veteran hitters and/or using free agency to sign veteran hitters. These options haven't worked. Let's try a long-term approach. Develop our own talent.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 07:11 PM)
If they are drafting better, all the more reason to keep them and let them come to the majors as a White Sox player. The alternative is much harder - keep trading young players away for veteran hitters and/or using free agency to sign veteran hitters. These options haven't worked. Let's try a long-term approach. Develop our own talent.

and you o have a valid point, but the window of opportunity is limited time. the sox needs to make one fell swoop in getting those missing pieces to fix the team

If 2016 is a development year then trade Sale,Q and Abreu. Get it over with already. You cant afford to waste years of their youth/contracts to try and see if any of the players besides Rodon can become anything decent. That's a waste.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 07:34 PM)
If 2016 is a development year then trade Sale,Q and Abreu. Get it over with already. You cant afford to waste years of their youth/contracts to try and see if any of the players besides Rodon can become anything decent. That's a waste.

there has to be a happy medium and only hahn will be able to figure it out.

we as fans can make all the guesses we can.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
there has to be a happy medium and only hahn will be able to figure it out.

we as fans can make all the guesses we can.

I think that's understood. Still doesnt take away from the fact that it's a waste of time.

Plus the talking yourself out of competing people the "Well this team is better and so is this team we cant compete" drive me crazy. You can say that for every single year if you wanted to. You just have to convince yourself that there's no parody and your team sucks. Then it's easy.

None of the players mentioned above besides Rodon are worth sacraficing any of the time left on Sale's,Q's or Abreu's contract.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
Plus, unlike many, I'm not throwing in the towel on Garcia just yet. He's 24 and played 1 full season in the majors. I still think he has a lot of potential and want to see what he can do in year 2 before dumping him.

But I could also see adding players while developing. I wouldn't mind him moving to LF, Melky to DH, and signing one of the big 3 OF's to play RF.

As for Frazier, I wonder how highly thought of Trey M. is in baseball circles. Maybe Trey, Beck/Danish, and Micah could get it done.

I admit I'm about fed up with Avi, its his clueless approach at the plate that really gets to me. I hate giving up on players that are so young but the guy is beyond frustrating sometimes. I think Avi is at a point where he will need to earn a starting spot with a good ST performance.

Frazier: I think this is where we disagree. I really want no part of him to be honest but that's just me and my humble opinion.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)

I remember during the season, someone asked Keith Law about Trey. Law said he could be an above average 3B hitting and fielding.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 07:42 PM)
I think that's understood. Still doesnt take away from the fact that it's a waste of time.

Plus the talking yourself out of competing people the "Well this team is better and so is this team we cant compete" drive me crazy. You can say that for every single year if you wanted to. You just have to convince yourself that there's no parody and your team sucks. Then it's easy.

None of the players mentioned above besides Rodon are worth sacraficing any of the time left on Sale's,Q's or Abreu's contract.

again you make an excellent point. in fact you made several.

we as fans can scream from the high mountains, but that will not do anything.

it comes back to the FO to make the necessary improvement.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 01:34 PM)

The patch work team hasn't been a mode for success. They probably should have looked into what Quintana could bring back (as that Arizona/Atlanta trade as a sample), but if the alternative option is tearing down the minor league system just as it's starting to improve, and giving big money to free agents isn't exactly a plan that has worked.

Listening to KC sports radio, they interviewed someone from Cincy. Talked about Frazier. Said the Reds could be doing a deal soon because this is about the time they make deals. Said they use Winter Meetings to get things in place.

We'll see if they make a deal. They have the leverage because they don't have to deal him. But now might be the time with his second half decline last season. Hope we can get him without giving Anderson and Fulmer.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 08:08 PM)
Definitely.

to play devils advocate, if he didn't struggle in the 2nd half, we're talking about an MVP candidate and someone that would require Rodon to get. I've made mention of this before, but I think part of the reason he struggled in the 2nd half was due to the Reds fielding about 5 MLB caliber players and the rest being a minor league team. There wasn't a lot of emotion in their games.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 09:13 PM)
Listening to KC sports radio, they interviewed someone from Cincy. Talked about Frazier. Said the Reds could be doing a deal soon because this is about the time they make deals. Said they use Winter Meetings to get things in place.

We'll see if they make a deal. They have the leverage because they don't have to deal him. But now might be the time with his second half decline last season. Hope we can get him without giving Anderson and Fulmer.

this has nothing to do with you personally,

but ref to cincy, talk is cheap.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)
to play devils advocate, if he didn't struggle in the 2nd half, we're talking about an MVP candidate and someone that would require Rodon to get. I've made mention of this before, but I think part of the reason he struggled in the 2nd half was due to the Reds fielding about 5 MLB caliber players and the rest being a minor league team. There wasn't a lot of emotion in their games.

Yes, if he would have continued with the numbers he put up in May he would have been a MVP candidate. His track record shows consistent decline in the second half of the season for him with a .273/.341/.506 hitter in the first half and a .239/.298/.417 hitter in the second half over his career. He also has a significant shift away from Great America with a line of .270/.333/.507 with a .231 ISO at home against .244/.309/.426 with .182 ISO on the road.

He has good qualities but is not going to be the savior of this team and therefore I don't think he is worth trading for. If the Sox were a guy away and needed to solidify 3B defensively and add a little pop this may make sense, but given the state of things, the Sox are better off diverting resources elsewhere.