White Sox targeting OF Justin Upton

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 09:16 PM)
If the Sox spend the kind of money needed to acquire someone like Upton, Heyward or Gordon, that would preclude any other big signings. Therefore, unless they are willing to trade a starting pitcher, the guy whom they sign better be their much needed clean up hitter. Who would fill that role better, Upton or Heyward?

I continue to believe it doesn't make sense to target guys based on traditional batting order roles. The most important thing is that a "good hitter" will be added somewhere in the first four slots.

Using that logic, Heyward is clearly better, as he adds a left-handed threat (the one LaRoche was supposed to add) and substantially improves the defense at the same time.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 11:25 PM)
I continue to believe it doesn't make sense to target guys based on traditional batting order roles. The most important thing is that a "good hitter" will be added somewhere in the first four slots.

Using that logic, Heyward is clearly better, as he adds a left-handed threat (the one LaRoche was supposed to add) and substantially improves the defense at the same time.

I disagree. You need protection for Abreu so that teams can't simply pitch around him and so he could reach his full potential. If you don't believe you need a traditional batting order where your 3-4-5 hitters are your best and most powerful, then why not trade Abreu away at that point?

Yes, this, yes. A great way to waste precious time and recourses is to chase the antiquated lineup "fit", when in reality you should be looking for substantial improvements in whatever form they present themselves. Just because Heyward is going to maybe hit a dozen HR less than you'd like when attempting to supplement this power starved offense, doesn't mean you overlook how much of an upgrade he is in every other facet of the game compared to other options. In my mind he actually draws comparisons to the offseason's hottest geezer in Zobrist, minus some of the defensive flexibility. He's the wise pickup of the offseason, even if he commands the highest position player payout.

I agree, I also hate the logic that a 3B or corner OF has to produce power numbers simply because of their position. I understand everyone wants power numbers but I would be perfectly fine with a 3B who can get on base at a good clip.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 12:06 AM)
I agree, I also hate the logic that a 3B or corner OF has to produce power numbers simply because of their position. I understand everyone wants power numbers but I would be perfectly fine with a 3B who can get on base at a good clip.

That part I agree with. I don't think your power needs to come from certain defensive positions. I think it needs to come from certain spots in your lineup, however, unless your entire lineup can get on base. Even then, you need someone to drive them in.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 12:11 AM)
That part I agree with. I don't think your power needs to come from certain defensive positions. I think it needs to come from certain spots in your lineup, however, unless your entire lineup can get on base. Even then, you need someone to drive them in.

Anybody that can hit the ball with good average can knock in runs from the four spot IMO.. Imagine how many RBIs Ichiro would have had if he 4th or 5th his entire career? If you have guys who get on base in front of them they don't have to hit home runs just need a hit

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 12:24 AM)
Anybody that can hit the ball with good average can knock in runs from the four spot IMO.. Imagine how many RBIs Ichiro would have had if he 4th or 5th his entire career? If you have guys who get on base in front of them they don't have to hit home runs just need a hit

What's easier to obtain - a lineup 1-9 that can get on base, or a lineup which has 3 boppers that can drive in runs with maybe the 1-2 hitters as OBP guys?

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 12:30 AM)
What's easier to obtain - a lineup 1-9 that can get on base, or a lineup which has 3 boppers that can drive in runs with maybe the 1-2 hitters as OBP guys?

Depends how much money you got lol.

I am just making a point, no team would do what I mentioned but just saying anybody with a good average can knock in a lot of runs if they are in the right spot in the lineup, don't need power to knock in runs

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 10:56 PM)
He had a hand / hammate injury, if I recall. He never complained about it, but its the type of injury that could really drain / suck the power out of your swing, imo. And its the type of injury that I'd think you couldn't play through (nor would it heal without significant rest).

Thank you for the Info. I was not aware of that injury. Now my question is; Why was he playing? He should have been benched.

Now, I'm even more disappointed in this team. If he couldn't contribute because of his health, he should not have been left in a position to spoil the team's chances of being competitive. He was a "black hole" in the cleanup spot. Simply inexplicable!!

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 01:01 PM)
Thank you for the Info. I was not aware of that injury. Now my question is; Why was he playing? He should have been benched.

Now, I'm even more disappointed in this team. If he couldn't contribute because of his health, he should not have been left in a position to spoil the team's chances of being competitive. He was a "black hole" in the cleanup spot. Simply inexplicable!!

with due respect to all, i don't believe it. fluff job by the sox

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)

if that is the truth, then why put out feelers on trading him and i don't buy the money for a bat.

on a side note, laroche, does anyone think this was a hahn move in the first place.... meaning getting him here??

It would be terribly sad and short-sighted if the Sox actually DON'T make a move because they can't find a way to move the final $13m owed to LaRoche. Make the right moves, THEN worry about reclaiming some LaRoche money. If you can't, then that's the price of taking a gamble, Mr. Reinsdorf.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
It would be terribly sad and short-sighted if the Sox actually DON'T make a move because they can't find a way to move the final $13m owed to LaRoche. Make the right moves, THEN worry about reclaiming some LaRoche money. If you can't, then that's the price of taking a gamble, Mr. Reinsdorf.

great point and that lack of move will be a loss in the profit and lost ..... which the owners always work for the money aspect.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 12:57 AM)
Yes, this, yes. A great way to waste precious time and recourses is to chase the antiquated lineup "fit", when in reality you should be looking for substantial improvements in whatever form they present themselves. Just because Heyward is going to maybe hit a dozen HR less than you'd like when attempting to supplement this power starved offense, doesn't mean you overlook how much of an upgrade he is in every other facet of the game compared to other options. In my mind he actually draws comparisons to the offseason's hottest geezer in Zobrist, minus some of the defensive flexibility. He's the wise pickup of the offseason, even if he commands the highest position player payout.

Indeed, and ESPECIALLY when your team needs help in so many ways. The offense is power-starved, yes -- but it's also OBP starved. And the defense is, well, defense-starved.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 08:39 AM)

I agree with this.

It will be very hard for them ever to achieve their goal of sustained success if $13 million causes them back off almost fully from improving the team.

And it's not like they have any leverage with LaRoche anyways. Fix your roster now if you can, and deal with him later if you cannot now.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 07:01 AM)

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 08:30 AM)

It is not a fluff job by the Sox. The only info on LaRoche's hand injury that I've seen came from the very bottom of this piece on South Side Sox.

LaRoche complained about hand soreness in the beginning of the season, and according to Schneider, the soreness was in some "serious places on the hand." After performing tests, LaRoche didn't break his hamate but occasionally still experiences soreness in his right hand. Something to keep an eye on because a nagging injury like this can zap the power from a batter's swing, and could be a factor on why LaRoche's slugging percentage is below .400.

I have not seen any other media outlets run with this or even mention it, so it's possible I'm overrating it.