White Sox targeting OF Justin Upton

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
Response to the "Stay Down Until You Come Up 100" tweet:

Rick Slattery ‏@rickslat123 3m3 minutes ago

@TimAnderson7 enjoy Oakland. But glad to see Shark and Upton on the southside.

Could be a random guy, or could be his best friend.

Rickslat is just a troll. See my post from last year's Samardzija rumors ^

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sign OF Justin Upton 6 years/125 million

Trade OF Trayce Thompson and SP Chris Beck for 3B Brett Lawrie

Trade 1B Adam LaRoche, SP Frankie Montas, OF Avisail Garcia, and SP Tyler Danish for OF Carlos Gonzalez

CF Adam Eaton (L)

DH Melky Cabrera (S)

1B Jose Abreu

LF Carlos Gonzalez (L)

RF Justin Upton

3B Brett Lawrie

C Alex Avila/Dioner Navarro

2B Carlos Sanchez (L)

SS Tyler Saladino

Thoughts?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 02:52 PM)
Rickslat is just a troll. See my post from last year's Samardzija rumors ^

Weren't the Sox extremely close to acquiring Upton last off-season? So couldn't he have been right on Shark and wrong on Upton previously? Kenny was supposedly pretty ticked we didn't end up with Upton last off-season. I presume Anderson would have been a part of that deal with the Braves.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 05:03 PM)
Weren't the Sox extremely close to acquiring Upton last off-season? So couldn't he have been right on Shark and wrong on Upton previously? Kenny was supposedly pretty ticked we didn't end up with Upton last off-season. I presume Anderson would have been a part of that deal with the Braves.

Well, everyone knew we were getting Shark. It was heavily rumored weeks before the winter meetings. This guy wrongly assumed Anderson was being traded to Oakland. He has 30 followers and 75% of his tweets are "[insert team here] signs [insert player here] to a [insert length and money here] contract.", then he deletes the ones that end up being obnoxiously wrong.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 04:58 PM)

Trade 1B Adam LaRoche, SP Frankie Montas, OF Avisail Garcia, and SP Tyler Danish for OF Carlos Gonzalez

CF Adam Eaton (L)

DH Melky Cabrera (S)

1B Jose Abreu

LF Carlos Gonzalez (L)

RF Justin Upton

3B Brett Lawrie

2B Carlos Sanchez (L)

SS Tyler Saladino

Thoughts?

If they go all in like that, I'm 99.9% sure that Saladino wouldn't be the starting shortstop.

How much / what will the difference in cost / years be between Gordon and Upton? Is Upton going to get more money and more years while Gordon provides actual better production (kind of like he has past few years)? I presume Royals are going to ensure they won't be beat.

Seemed to me like Royals are ready to move on from Gordon. I feel like Upton may come cheaper as thanks to a monster second half from Cespedes and the exposure for Gordon winning the World Series. Not long ago I would have said Upton would have definitely been the 2nd most valuable outfielder, but now he'll have to get in ine, which may work in our favor.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 06:04 PM)
How much / what will the difference in cost / years be between Gordon and Upton? Is Upton going to get more money and more years while Gordon provides actual better production (kind of like he has past few years)? I presume Royals are going to ensure they won't be beat.

I wanna know what the difference in money is going to be between Upton and Heyward. If you're going to after Upton, might as well pay a little more Heyward with opt outs every year after year 4 or 5 of the deal. I've been pushing that on here for a while.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
I wanna know what the difference in money is going to be between Upton and Heyward. If you're going to after Upton, might as well pay a little more Heyward with opt outs every year after year 4 or 5 of the deal. I've been pushing that on here for a while.

I just keep assuming the difference between Heyward and Upton is going to be significant. I also figure Cespedes is going to get a contract based upon six months of production, which is tough to gel. Funny thing is, prior to going to the Mets, I thought he'd be a potential value "big contract" but then he blew up and I expect the opposite to happen. Nice thing about Jason and Justin is their relative ages.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 06:16 PM)
I just keep assuming the difference between Heyward and Upton is going to be significant. I also figure Cespedes is going to get a contract based upon six months of production, which is tough to gel. Funny thing is, prior to going to the Mets, I thought he'd be a potential value "big contract" but then he blew up and I expect the opposite to happen. Nice thing about Jason and Justin is their relative ages.

Annually, I don't think it would be too much more. But He wouldn't be a problem after he opted out around his age 30/31 age season to try and get another 6-7 year deal.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 06:19 PM)
Jason hasn't hit his prime yet. He would make a lot of sense especially with our defensive deficiencies. He makes a ton of sense....throw info out that were in on Upton and then silently swoop in and sign Heyward.....then I wake up ya ya I know :)

Upton is 2 years younger then Cespedes (and not Cuban) and 3 years younger than Gordon. Big reason I'd want Upton over th latter two. You're getting his prime years.

That's obviously especially true for Heyward.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 07:27 PM)
Upton is 2 years younger then Cespedes (and not Cuban) and 3 years younger than Gordon. Big reason I'd want Upton over th latter two. You're getting his prime years.

That's obviously especially true for Heyward.

Agreed. I'm good with any of those. Just prefer Heyward due to his age and defense. We'll see how his bat is going into his prime years

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 04:58 PM)

CF Adam Eaton (L)

DH Melky Cabrera (S)

1B Jose Abreu

LF Carlos Gonzalez (L)

RF Justin Upton

3B Brett Lawrie

2B Carlos Sanchez (L)

SS Tyler Saladino

Thoughts?

This would make me very happy. Very White Sox, but that's why I love em.

If the Sox spend the kind of money needed to acquire someone like Upton, Heyward or Gordon, that would preclude any other big signings. Therefore, unless they are willing to trade a starting pitcher, the guy whom they sign better be their much needed clean up hitter. Who would fill that role better, Upton or Heyward?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 08:16 PM)
If the Sox spend the kind of money needed to acquire someone like Upton, Hayward or Gordon, that would preclude any other big signings. Therefore, unless they are willing to trade a starting pitcher, the guy whom they sign better be their much needed clean up hitter. Who would fill that role better, Upton or Hayward?

Upton, but that's a narrow way to analyze the situation.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 08:28 PM)
Upton, but that's a narrow way to analyze the situation.

Perhaps, but I think that a cleanup hitter remains the biggest priority. Therefore, the guy they get better fill that hole.

If you get a guy who is going to hit somewhere else in the lineup, who bats cleanup, behind Abreu?