Rule 5 Draft Preview

NorthSideSox72

While we may be focused on the Hot Stove during the Winter Meetings, don't forget the Rule 5 Draft on Thursday. People here have asked about it, and it is certainly possible the White Sox could pick up - or lose - some players via that route.

Here is a preview, including where the team stands, who they are at risk of losing, and who they may target to acquire if available.

Looks to me like there is more risk of them losing prospects than drafting them this year, but it's hard to predict. Anyone have any predictions for the Rule 5? Sox pick someone up? Who they will lose?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 10:28 AM)
I think we make a pick. If Blash is there I think you have to draft him. If not I think we go with TJ Rivera. And I'd like that a lot.

Rivera seems like a utility infielder, which doesn't seem like a need. Unless you think he can start at 2B over Sanchez and Micah?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)
Rivera seems like a utility infielder, which doesn't seem like a need. Unless you think he can start at 2B over Sanchez and Micah?

He's another cheap name to add to the mix, since nothing is settled there. I'd bring him in for spring training if we aren't adding another IF as insurance (if anyone gets hurt or Micah gets traded). If we have to offer him back, offer him back. Better pick IMO, than a pitcher (where we aren't even protecting our own talented pieces) or OF (I'd even want Avi over anyone not named Blash and Trayce/Shuck seem firmly locked in as 4th OF).

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 07:45 AM)
He's another cheap name to add to the mix, since nothing is settled there. I'd bring him in for spring training if we aren't adding another IF as insurance (if anyone gets hurt or Micah gets traded). If we have to offer him back, offer him back. Better pick IMO, than a pitcher (where we aren't even protecting our own talented pieces) or OF (I'd even want Avi over anyone not named Blash and Trayce/Shuck seem firmly locked in as 4th OF).

I was thinking about this one yesterday after you mentioned him. I'll add him to the article, thanks for talking me into it, haha.

QUOTE (bjm676 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 07:56 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 1h1 hour ago Nashville, TN

Hahn said a couple of potential fits through tomorrow's Rule 5 Draft. But that wouldn't be the answer to an major team question

I bet they draft an infielder or outfielder to compete for a bench spot.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 07:50 AM)
I bet they draft an infielder or outfielder to compete for a bench spot.

One thing the team doesn't need, IMO, is a utility infielder. Saladino and Sanchez both look better than the options available to me. My guess is, they don't pick anyone. But if they do, they grab an arm.

More likely, they will lose someone. And of course they will probably be active in the minor league phase.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 08:03 AM)
One thing the team doesn't need, IMO, is a utility infielder. Saladino and Sanchez both look better than the options available to me. My guess is, they don't pick anyone. But if they do, they grab an arm.

More likely, they will lose someone. And of course they will probably be active in the minor league phase.

Yeah most likely an arm but competition isn't a bad thing. And as of now those two are our starters at second and short.

I would take a risk on either Fuenmayor or Blash as RH DH platoon options if either lasts til 10. I think we have the flexibility to carry an extra guy like that with Saladino, Sanchez, and Trayce having great versatility defensively.

If not I always like the option of taking a kid who can throw 98 and seeing what happens. I've seen enough from the likes of Putnam, Webb, Carrol, ect to take a risk on someone new

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 08:27 AM)
I would take a risk on either Fuenmayor or Blash as RH DH platoon options if either lasts til 10. I think we have the flexibility to carry an extra guy like that with Saladino, Sanchez, and Trayce having great versatility defensively.

If not I always like the option of taking a kid who can throw 98 and seeing what happens. I've seen enough from the likes of Putnam, Webb, Carrol, ect to take a risk on someone new

Rockies should really take Fuenmayor if he's still there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 08:03 AM)

Do we need a utility outfielder either? Shuck was solid last year and Thompson seems like the ideal 4th OF.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 08:52 AM)
Do we need a utility outfielder either? Shuck was solid last year and Thompson seems like the ideal 4th OF.

No we don't. Off chance that if they really like Blash - and remember the Sox drafted him previously - they may pick him up anyway, under the assumption that one of Garcia or LaRoche ends up gone. If they can't make that happen, they just give him back. $25,000 net cost gamble might be worth it.

Probably won't happen, but possible.