Is Tyler Saladino the new starting SS???

jasonxctf

I think Saladino is the default plan. I am highly confident he is not Plan A, but if their efforts to upgrade (or re-sign Alexei, which would make sense) fail, he's the fall-back.

Thing is, if the team has to fall back to that, unless they make big upgrades at both 2B and 3B and improve RF, it's hard to see the lineup as one that can contend.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 10:14 AM)
I think Saladino is the default plan. I am highly confident he is not Plan A, but if their efforts to upgrade (or re-sign Alexei, which would make sense) fail, he's the fall-back.

Thing is, if the team has to fall back to that, unless they make big upgrades at both 2B and 3B and improve RF, it's hard to see the lineup as one that can contend.

It makes more sense to upgrade 3B over SS unless you sign an SS or bring back Alexei on a 1 year deal. I think with Saladino, you have a player with a decent floor - good defender and baserunner, if he gives you anything with his bat, it's a bonus, he then becomes a valuable trade chip or could be move to 2B or 3B when Anderson comes up. I rather have him than Alexei for $10M.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 09:57 AM)
Was watching MLB network this weekend and one of the Sox-beat reporters was only chatting about the Club. He said that right now, Saladino is the plan for the starting SS position. Has anyone heard the same?

Whoever said that is speculating. It may turn out to be correct as he is probably their in-house option at the moment.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 09:57 AM)
Was watching MLB network this weekend and one of the Sox-beat reporters was only chatting about the Club. He said that right now, Saladino is the plan for the starting SS position. Has anyone heard the same?

He's the option at this point but think they will try to get a stop gap. Hell when mlb network was doing the al central preview they thought sanchez was the ss right now till dan hayes had to correct them and say saladino was more of the ss but might be looking for an upgrade for now

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
Never stopped the Sox before from rushing up a top prospect. If Saladino gets the job and struggles, Anderson is clearly next up.

Find a list of position player prospects the White Sox have taken from AA to the majors in the past decade. And in Anderson's case, he is more raw than his age in terms of baseball experience. I find that very, very unlikely.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 05:46 PM)
Find a list of position player prospects the White Sox have taken from AA to the majors in the past decade. And in Anderson's case, he is more raw than his age in terms of baseball experience. I find that very, very unlikely.

Won't he be in AAA to start

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
Won't he be in AAA to start

Yes, but my point is, he's not the Opening Day shortstop. That would be a jump from AA to the majors.

AAA is the right test for him. Work against more mature pitching that can exploit weaknesses better, and not allow him to be purely a mistake hitter. He needs that step.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)
Yes, but my point is, he's not the Opening Day shortstop. That would be a jump from AA to the majors.

AAA is the right test for him. Work against more mature pitching that can exploit weaknesses better, and not allow him to be purely a mistake hitter. He needs that step.

Yeah never thought he would be opening day SS

I think a lot of this depends on how plan A goes. It would appear, based upon rumors, plan A is to upgrade the offense and it includes being surprisingly aggressive in the FA front (i.e., Upton / Asdrubal or even someone like Kendrick). If you go that route and than stick with Saladino at SS, I just don't get it. If you are going to spend the money and put out the stops, don't you have to make sure you really have relative solid options across the lineup and I don't think Saladino as your starting SS is a great option (backup plan great).

That said, I don't really understand yet what we are doing and where we are headed, but to the defense of Hahn, etc, unfair for me to reach those conclusions based purely on rumors. I think if we sign someone like Upton, it means we are going to add another good option somewhere and also means we bring Alexei back (or find a similar type vet player). I think 2B is where we'll see a young player get their shot. Other than 2B (Micah / Sanchez / Saladino) and Trayce, we don't have another young position player who could potentially be ready for a contending team.

IF we are going to contend, please make sure we can contend, if not, lets make sure we take the long view and lets focus on adding long-term assets and figuring out if we have any other internal assets.