• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is bonkers.

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 1h1 hour ago

Doing base running research -- 2015 #WhiteSox were the first team since the 2002 Rangers to not steal third base in a season. Went 0-for-3.

South Side Sox ‏@SouthSideSox 1h1 hour ago

@CSNHayes First White Sox team to not steal third since 1949. http://www.southsidesox.com/2015/10/8/9477...no-go-white-sox

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 08:34 AM)
Your team base running is good if your players are good base runners. Coaches aren't going to magically make them better or faster

Who do you think calls for the majority of stolen base attempts? I seriously doubt most players have the green light at all times (and if they do that falls on the coaching staff). If Mark Parent was that guy, getting a new bench coach could help significantly.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 09:34 AM)
Your team base running is good if your players are good base runners. Coaches aren't going to magically make them better or faster

Honestly, I really disagree with this. Baserunning can't possibly be entirely instinctual, that's a skill unless you're Paul Konerko. "Do I go first to third under these circumstances" is a set of decisions that you can practice for. How many times do we see some guy who isn't the fastest but who is an effective baserunner because they recognize situations like that?

Furthermore, it's clearly not always the fastest guy first to second who is the best base stealer. Take our own decade ago example - Scott Podsednik was a great base stealer for a few years because he was fast enough and had extremely good tecnhique - he wasn't even the fastest guy on that team IIRC (Ozuna was probably faster in a foot race on sand). Pods knew how to read a pitcher, to get the appropriate first step, and then to nail the run and the slide and that overcame his footspeed limitations. We see the same thing with guys who are great base stealers in the minors based on pure speed, but when they get to the big leagues and see better moves and better throwing catchers their numbers drop a lot.

A coach can't turn Paul Konerko into a base stealer, but the game of baseball as I've watched it strongly suggests that baserunning is a place where coaching can make a solid contribution.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 09:30 AM)
Honestly, I really disagree with this. Baserunning can't possibly be entirely instinctual, that's a skill unless you're Paul Konerko. "Do I go first to third under these circumstances" is a set of decisions that you can practice for. How many times do we see some guy who isn't the fastest but who is an effective baserunner because they recognize situations like that?

Furthermore, it's clearly not always the fastest guy first to second who is the best base stealer. Take our own decade ago example - Scott Podsednik was a great base stealer for a few years because he was fast enough and had extremely good tecnhique - he wasn't even the fastest guy on that team IIRC (Ozuna was probably faster in a foot race on sand). Pods knew how to read a pitcher, to get the appropriate first step, and then to nail the run and the slide and that overcame his footspeed limitations. We see the same thing with guys who are great base stealers in the minors based on pure speed, but when they get to the big leagues and see better moves and better throwing catchers their numbers drop a lot.

A coach can't turn Paul Konerko into a base stealer, but the game of baseball as I've watched it strongly suggests that baserunning is a place where coaching can make a solid contribution.

Great post, I agree. Baserunning is of course speed predicated and you can't teach that aspect, but it is a technique as much as any other skill of the sport. Perfect the technique and the performance has to improve in some regards.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 09:30 AM)

I totally fall into this camp. While there is some instinct, there are plenty of skills that can be taught.

Base running can be taught to a certain point. And most of these guys are at the point where they have pretty much been taught most of what they can be taught. For guys that are potentially elite base stealers there is may be another technique or key that could push them, but for the most part you don't hear too much about guys becoming great base runners who used to be horrible. You see it the other way around when guys lose some speed but their brain doesn't seem to realize it. And by base running, not just stealing bases. That actually seems to be a smaller part of base running than in the past. It is about getting good jumps, checking your outfielders, knowing to let a ball get through the infield etc. Drills and actual game situations are about as different as practicing a speech in your bathroom and giving it that day in front packed auditorium. Experience helps.

. Renteria was a fine hire, but the reason the sox will be better at base running this year is because they have better base runners.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 12:09 PM)
RT @JonHeyman: Jacob Turner, former 1st round pick, has impressed early at chisox camp. Latos favored for No. 5 SP spot, but JT in mix.

I really hope Danks isn't guaranteed a spot in the rotation. If both Latos & Turner (or Johnson for that matter) look good, then Danks should start the season as the long man in the pen.