Christmas gifts

zach23

Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Originally posted by doubleM23

I don't know what you're all smoking, but it's all about the Blues.

A blues fan is almost as bad as a dead wings fan.

A deadwing fan is the same thing as a cub fan. Those two teams are about tied in level of hatred I have for them. And the hatred for the deadwings goes back to when they were yearly cellar dwelers in the Norris division.

The deadwings fans that invade the United Center are just like the cub fans I endure during the Sox-cubs games. Just as annoying. Any fans that take it upon themselves to declare their city "Hockeytown" (shouldn't a place like Montreal be "Hockeytown" ) are just as arrogant and annoying as the turds that fawn over the ivy-covered septic tank up north. I miss the days of the old stadium when someone wearing a deadwing jersey would be dealt with harshly.

Sorry, cw, you are a good friend but my hatred of the deadwings is as deep as the scrubs.

Love ya too cw, but I have to agree with my brother here. What if I were to tell you that I hate Reinsdorf, so I now root for the Yankees because they win a lot of World Series? I would imagine you have other reasons too, but I won't give up on the Hockey team I grew up with. I will still watch them, but I won't spend my money there until Wirtz puts a winner on the ice. I can only dream of a Stanley Cup right now, but at least the Hawks have been consistently beating your Detroit team for the last couple of years.

When I was a kid, the house 3 doors away was rented by Cubs players in the summer aed Hawks players in the winter. The Cub players were nice, but at an early age I figured they were yahoos. The Black Hawk players were all assholes. And Wirtz and family are assholes. And because of the sellouts at the Stadium, they never wanted nor desired my support - like the cubs now, why build a winner when fans come like Pavlov's dog? Any lingering affection I might have had for the Hawks was done in when Bobby Hull was driven away.

I am a fan of none of my very earliest childhood teams. I grew up in a cubs family and went my own way. Not a Bears fan - everything I said about Wirtz was true for the Halas' in my youth, plus the Bears played at Wrigley and I like nothing that played at Wrigley. I turned away from the Bulls when they drafted Quentin Daly (spelling).

I have never been to Joe Louis and probably never will get there. I've seen the Red Wings on the bottom and I've seen them on the top. It is a natural rivalry between Chicago and Detroit because of the geographical proximity and that both were original 6 in hockey, and go way back in baseball and football. If Red Wings fans were assholes at the Stadium in the past, I don't know. I doubt that Black hawk fans in Detroit behave any better; I know that Bears fans tend to be almost (key word, almost) as boorish as the Packer fans when they come to Lions games.

Last spring, watching the Stanley Cup finals, we here all knew that everywhere in the other 49 states people were hating us and pulling for Carolina or whoever we beat. And it was neat, really, because f*** off rest of the world. Best team money could buy - and yet we wish the Sox ownership would spend money as freely. Too old to win, to keep it going - Bowman did a masterful job of keeping the team fresh and there were some marvelous, gutsy performances by players who were hurting.

"Hockeytown" is offensive? I have lived in Chicago for 25 years and Michigan for 25 years and I can tell you that hockey is taken far more seriously here than in Illinois. Illinois will never come close to supporting as many hockey teams at all professional levels as Michigan does.

And name me one college team in Illinois that is better than club status, while MSU and UM play to 80,000 in an exhibition game, and we've got Ferris, WMU, LSSU, and Northern all playing at the highest level too.

But the Red Wings are no big deal for me, really (although the only non Sox gear I have ever worn to Comiskey was last year during the SC finals). I live and die by two teams: White Sox baseball and UM football (and to a lesser extent, UM hockey). And the Sox are my greater love. I don't have anything against Black Hawks fans nor the Black Hawks. The Red Wings big rival plays in Colorado, not Illinois. But the Wirtzs can shove it all, they have to be among the worst family owners ever, ever, ever.

The Red Wings, despise them as you will, played hungry last year and won it all. That I respect. The Black hawks haven't played with passion since the early 60s, other than games in which Tony O played, and that was a long time ago.

I am surprized that anyone would compare cubs fans and Red Wing fans though. Maybe some personal stories there, I don't know. That is just a harsh comparison to my ears, in part because it includes me, and I just haven't seen it. Cub fans are in a category to me that includes Yankee, Red Sox, Ohio State, and Notre Dame fans (hi, credefan!) except worse. If Red Wing fans have been obnoxious to you guys, well, that would/could explain it. Just a historic rivalry, ok, although no one here pays the Hawks too much mind.

One of my few good memories of 2002 will be game 5 of the SC finals, the party my neighbors had, how good it was watching the Red Wings win it all (again) perhaps for the last time in a while. It was a full house and we had a great time and the last five minutes were a thrill unto themselves. I surely hope that we as Sox fans get to have that same experience many times - and for you Black Hawk fans, I hope you have it too some day. It is a great sports thrill and I hope you get to have it - at least as long as we keepiong winning it 3 outr olf every 6 years, you can have it in one of our off years! :-) But I do hope you get your SC thrill some day. It is great!