The LaRoche article dug up from 2015

glangon

QUOTE (Special K @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)
Is LaRoche the worst contract Hahn has dished out since taking over the reigns? This is essentially $25 million flushed down the toilet. We're talking about teams not willing to take him on unless the Sox eat $10 million of his salary this year?

The Sox should seriously consider just signing Heyward with LaRoche and Danks' dollars coming off the books next year. That frees up roughly $28 million.

but the bosses will not allow that to happen.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)
If this is your lone move - moving LaRoche to sign Upton, then it doesn't make sense. You need more than just Upton to help you compete in 2016. And I'm talking for a chance at the playoffs, not even actually making the playoffs.

Unless Hahn is trying for two bats.

I highly doubt our only planned moves are trading LaRoche and signing Upton.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)
If this is your lone move - moving LaRoche to sign Upton, then it doesn't make sense. You need more than just Upton to help you compete in 2016. And I'm talking for a chance at the playoffs, not even actually making the playoffs.

Unless Hahn is trying for two bats.

We improved the catched situation already (although, probably marginally). My guess is that if we are luck enough to move LaRoche, and sign a FA OF'er... we would move Avi + prospect for 3b as well (hopefully Frazier, probably Lawrie). Then maybe re-sign Alexei and let Sanchez, Johnson and Saladino fight it out for 2b. And Melky would DH with possibly Thompson in LF. That would seem to be an improvement to OF defense. But by my account, we'd still probably have 2-3 black holes in the line up offensively.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:08 AM)
If the Sox big moves are predicated on LaRoche's salary being off the books, there will be no big moves. The White Sox know this. They have to. If you need a new laptop but have to sell your 2002 Dell desktop to afford it, you aren't getting a new laptop.

Lol

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)
LaRoche is definitely a guy who could benefit from a change in scenery. Also recall, even Dunn bounced back pretty big, and he was older as I recall.

But the Sox would need to kick in some money, no doubt.

It's hard to compare the LaRoche situation to Dunn's since he's what 38 now? He could just be finished.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 03:18 PM)
LaRoche hit under .200 in four of six months.

He drove in 13 runs in May -- and was under 10 every other month.

He hit 3 home runs in the second half of the season.

His bat speed started slow -- and got slower.

Ray Charles wouldn't trade for Adam LaRoche.

excellent post.

i really thought you were going with ray charles was a better hitter than laroche last season.

Hahn on the phone:

"Bag of balls?... No?..."

"How about we send you the bag?... Still no?"

"Man, you drive a hard bargain... Okay, you get free sundaes in helmets for a year and two bags of balls..."

"What? Three bags of balls? Let me call my manager..."

"KENNY!"

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 09:26 AM)
Hahn on the phone:

"Man, you drive a hard bargain... Okay, you get free sundaes in helmets for a year and two bags of balls..."

"KENNY!"

:lol: Pretty much!

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 03:26 PM)
Hahn on the phone:

"KENNY!"

:notworthy

QUOTE (Special K @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 08:30 AM)
Is LaRoche the worst contract Hahn has dished out since taking over the reigns? This is essentially $25 million flushed down the toilet. We're talking about teams not willing to take him on unless the Sox eat $10 million of his salary this year?

The Sox should seriously consider just signing Heyward with LaRoche and Danks' dollars coming off the books next year. That frees up roughly $28 million.

$25 million over two years is really not that much, it was never a high-risk move. If a two year contract is the worst one you've signed, that's a good sign.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 09:37 AM)
Keppinger? Terrible deal.

LaRoche? Awful deal.

Dunn? Four years of acid reflux.

Danks? Slight pass for injury.

Duke? Not looking promising.

Downs? Ooops.

What am I forgetting?

Bonifacio, Belisario.

There has been a problem with guys not working out so well the past couple of years.