Teams are targeting SS Tim Anderson, #White Sox's No. 1 prospect,

Whisox05

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:25 AM)
Teams are targeting SS Tim Anderson, #White Sox's No. 1 prospect, as well as pitching prospects in trade talks.

https://twitter.com/philgrogers/status/674263367234789376

Looks like teams have realized that Gambler Kenny is back ready to win a world series and will empty the farm again.

I have a semi hypothesis that with how significantly teams are valuing their prospects, that the paradigm / moneyball shift might actually be in using your prospects for other cost-controlled players. It seems like in so many cases teams don't want to give up their top guys that the value for good players is actually less than you would expect (because everyone is kind of to the point of overvaluing prospects). Been thinking about this lately and than when I see stuff like Seager / Urias for Jose Fernandez being absurd (a guy who isn't a free agent until 2019 and when healthy (and he looked like he didn't miss a bit late last year) is one of the best pitchers on the planet at 22/23 years old) and I think to myself how absurd that notion is. What are the odds that Seager / Urias both hit...slim and I think the odds of Urias being at Fernandez level are also equally slim.

Bottom line, I find myself to the point of, maybe using chips (not necessarily vets) but for position equivalents of solid players is the real way to go. Look at how the Jays scourged the A's last year for the AL MVP.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
I have a semi hypothesis that with how significantly teams are valuing their prospects, that the paradigm / moneyball shift might actually be in using your prospects for other cost-controlled players. It seems like in so many cases teams don't want to give up their top guys that the value for good players is actually less than you would expect (because everyone is kind of to the point of overvaluing prospects). Been thinking about this lately and than when I see stuff like Seager / Urias for Jose Fernandez being absurd (a guy who isn't a free agent until 2019 and when healthy (and he looked like he didn't miss a bit late last year) is one of the best pitchers on the planet at 22/23 years old) and I think to myself how absurd that notion is. What are the odds that Seager / Urias both hit...slim and I think the odds of Urias being at Fernandez level are also equally slim.

Bottom line, I find myself to the point of, maybe using chips (not necessarily vets) but for position equivalents of solid players is the real way to go. Look at how the Jays scourged the A's last year for the AL MVP.

Playing careers decline at 30/31 as they had in the past pre-steroid. You pay a premium for older players with some talent as these are what is needed if your farm is not there.

Cost controlled is the major thing now a days. 24 year old is what is needed.

Quintana and Sale are the epitome of today's baseball age.

Those two are the reason a rebuild would be a bad idea. Combined they are worth $400M on the open market.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)

As the price of front line talent goes up, the value of prospects goes up accordingly.

It better be a special trade for him to be moved. I'd rather he be in Charlotte at the start of the season while the team takes a step back in setting up for 2017. All of these band aid moves are more than likely going to be for incremental improvements that still won't get them to 88+ wins.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 08:41 AM)
As the price of front line talent goes up, the value of prospects goes up accordingly.

The problem I see is Jose Fernandez is cost-controlled talent. The fact that a 2-1 for Fernandez (yes two very top prospects) is so laughed at, goes to tell you how overvalued prospects are today over an already existing proven / cost controlled talent. Just look at other sites proposals on what it would take to get Sale or Q and how it differentiates from our assumptions on this site. Reality is right now prospects are more valuable than ever before, yet bust rates aren't any different (i.e., they are absurdly high). And the actual payroll vs. revenue generated in MLB is down, which is a boon for the owners (payrolls haven't inflated near as much as their bottom line results / revenues).

I could see Kenny all of a sudden becoming a money ball genius in this era (presuming he can draft and develop talent to the point that other teams are interested).

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)
Anderson is good, but he's like a mid-top 100 guy. That's a valuable but very movable asset. A much better (Margot) guy just got moved for Craig Kimbrel, for example.

Anderson should not be untouchable; every system;'s "number one" prospect is not the same thing.

How is Margot a much better guy?

Anderson made huge strides this year defensively, and was better offensively and coming in, he was ranked a better prospect by about 20 with MLB.com and BP, and the Phil Rogers doing the ranking BA had Margot about 20 better.

The fact that Anderson also plays SS has to factor in as well. They cannot trade him unless it's a really good deal and what is coming back is going to be around awhile.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
The problem I see is Jose Fernandez is cost-controlled talent. The fact that a 2-1 for Fernandez (yes two very top prospects) is so laughed at, goes to tell you how overvalued prospects are today over an already existing proven / cost controlled talent. Just look at other sites proposals on what it would take to get Sale or Q and how it differentiates from our assumptions on this site. Reality is right now prospects are more valuable than ever before, yet bust rates aren't any different (i.e., they are absurdly high). And the actual payroll vs. revenue generated in MLB is down, which is a boon for the owners (payrolls haven't inflated near as much as their bottom line results / revenues).

I could see Kenny all of a sudden becoming a money ball genius in this era (presuming he can draft and develop talent to the point that other teams are interested).

I think part of that is injury, but I was also surprised when it was seen as the "crazy marlins" asking for th emoon. That said, there is a cloud of risk there that you typically would not want to give up your 2 beloved talents for.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:25 AM)
Teams are targeting SS Tim Anderson, #White Sox's No. 1 prospect, as well as pitching prospects in trade talks.

https://twitter.com/philgrogers/status/674263367234789376

While he is the White Sox top prospect, how does he stack up overall? I don't hear his name mentioned amongst the overall talent in the minors, but I'm hardly an expert on minor league talent.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
While he is the White Sox top prospect, how does he stack up overall? I don't hear his name mentioned amongst the overall talent in the minors, but I'm hardly an expert on minor league talent.

Coming into this season:

Baseball America 92

mlb.com 76

Baseball Perspectus 39

And he did develop a bit this season.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 08:55 AM)
I think part of that is injury, but I was also surprised when it was seen as the "crazy marlins" asking for th emoon. That said, there is a cloud of risk there that you typically would not want to give up your 2 beloved talents for.

A year ago they could have said that about Joc Pederson. I'd still take Joc but his stock is a heck of a lot more down than it was this time last year (or especially say last May/June before he fell off a cliff and went all Jeff Francouer). No matter how elite a prospect, they still have pretty high bust risk. Its just the nature of the beast. With the amount of young, high profile talent that has came up and had early success (Kris Bryant / Harper / Trout / Fernandez / Sale / Rodon), I think it has slightly altered people's perspectives, but I'd also argue their are still as many high profile busts as before. Getting a good, proven major leaguer when they are still a few years away from free agency is still incredibly valuable and its something I'd go 2 for 1 on most anytime. 2 for 1 prospect deals for above average players with a few years left seem to have limited downside.