White Sox acquire Brett Lawrie

Baron

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 05:31 AM)
Just can't pay much for this stopgap 3b. A mediocre prospect and one of the several mediocre bullpen pitchers. as need pen help.

I don't think he'd be a stop-gap if he's producing around his career marks.

Someone like Saladino at SS is a stop-gap if I've ever seen one. Or Sanchez at 2B. Even though I wouldn't be surprised to hear of A. Cabrera signing with the Sox after Lawrie is traded for..... :snow

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's his contract status? From what I read he's eligible to be a free agent in 2018, but I didn't see what he was owed for the next two years.

I like the idea, provided the price isn't too high. He's young, has some fire, and his numbers aren't bad. I think we'd all love to see Frazier, but I think we know what kind of package the Reds would demand. Hopefully this the first of several moves.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 06:09 AM)
What's his contract status? From what I read he's eligible to be a free agent in 2018, but I didn't see what he was owed for the next two years.

I like the idea, provided the price isn't too high. He's young, has some fire, and his numbers aren't bad. I think we'd all love to see Frazier, but I think we know what kind of package the Reds would demand. Hopefully this the first of several moves.

'16 and '17 are arbitration years so his salary will be based on performance.

Since Lawrie will be a free agent in 2 years, the front office may be thinking that he would be an adequate stop gap, until Trey Michalczewski is ready. That would seem like a reasonable plan, providing the Minor League players, in the deal, are not top tier prospects. That would allow the Sox to spend the money on a middle of the order bat, filling another hole. That is not to say that Lawrie wouldn't be a desirable long term solution, but if he performs well, over the next 2 seasons, he would probably be too expensive, as a free agent. Then there is also the possibility of extending him early.

Edited by Lillian

Depending on the price, I'm more than content with this move. We got nearly -2 WAR out of the 3B position last year and assuming Lawrie's defensive performance in 2015 was an outlier, he should be a 2 to 2.5 WAR player next year (if healthy) with a chance for more. That's a 4+ WAR swing at a position where our internal candidates were Mike Olt & Matt Davidson. Hard to be upset about that if the price is secondary prospects given the scarcity of 3B in the majors.

Will still need find a legit impact bat to pair with Abreu if we're serious about improving the offense though.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 06:43 AM)
If the Sox get lawrie then the sox/Royals games should be fun this year.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/04/19/brett-law...fight-ejections

Yeah Herrera telling him he's going to aim for his head next time he sees him...that was classy...god I hate the Royals

*edit*

Somebody should have told that 6 year old to stay back! She didnt know how unstable Lawrie is....

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 07:08 AM)
It's unclear who #WhiteSox would send to Oakland for Brett Lawrie. But OFs Avisail Garcia, Trayce Thompson, Adam Engel, Jacob May in talks.

https://twitter.com/philgrogers/status/674575811496828928

Something like Avi and Beck for Lawrie (and maybe another piece?) would be fine with me. Opens up an OF spot for someone else and then Thompson can platoon and get at bats in the outfield with LaRoche making Melky DH against lefties.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 06:51 AM)
Yeah Herrera telling him he's going to aim for his head next time he sees him...that was classy...god I hate the Royals

*edit*

Somebody should have told that 6 year old to stay back! She didnt know how unstable Lawrie is....

Well, he wasn't wearing his batting helmet. Otherwise, he may have thrown it down causing it to hit the little girl.

I'm guessing we get Lawrie, Padres get Matsuda and where does Freese go? It seems like most teams in the league have solid 3B or teams are committed to bad 3B due to contracts so I don't really know where to place everyone.

Edit: I guess he'd probably to back to Angels.

Also, a little off topic here, but that Justin Upton tweet mentioned the Sox were talking to multiple players with QO's attached. Does anyone know the market for Howie Kendrick? I'm not advocating signing him but I wouldn't put it past Sox management.

Edited by soxfan2014

well as a fan of the sox, i am here waiting for the rest of this to unfold. what we know is lawrie is a sox, whether it is good or bad, that does not matter. it was a necessity that needed to be done. we all know why and at what failures of the past that lead us here. it is also here that we wait for that price to be mention.

that price..... that too needed to be done, to be paid, we as fans may or may not like the price, it needed to be paid.

this payment give the FO a little more time to continue to build this system, to find their replacement and not be under the gun of some kind.

i will not rant if that price is too steep for me, but i am only a fan.

what is next on the agenda.... who or what ever position is needed. remember next yr fa is pretty poor overall, i will demand here and now, that the sox look at next yr availability players and make and take that step now, to fix this team. this quasi 3-yr plan will hit a snag next yr, all for the sake of not making the necessary moves this yr.