White Sox acquire Brett Lawrie

Baron

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 09:58 AM)
Avi performed just as I, eminor3rd and others expected him too. The guys who were saying we were "wrong" about Avi at the end of April, quickly disappeared by the end of May.

I still think Avi is going to be a good ball player. I am in the minority here but I still feel he has all the tools and he has a great work ethic that became evident when he returned after the injury when it was the thought he would be done for the year. I am pulling for the guy.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Special K @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 06:37 AM)
I disagree. If Avi and LaRoche were to play 150 games this year, I think you would get very similar production, with maybe, just MAYBE, a very slight uptick from LaRoche, but I highly doubt it given he's only getting older. Same goes for Gillaspie if we had him playing 150 games at third this year. The only guy who I may agree with you is Sanchez, because he was a rookie, and let's be honest, you can only go up from those offensive numbers (which he did in the second half).

LaRoche will bounce back next year, I believe. Sanchez hit for literally 1 month all year, he is a guy that we need to replace if we want to contend. Melky will probably be good for a .750 OPS this year, Garcia should be on the bench for Thompson because the defensive WAR itself from CF will be more valuable than Avi as a player alltogether. Lawrie will hit more than any 3rd baseman we've had in years and if he gets a WAR of 1, I think it's a 3 game improvement over 2015.

This is a good trade. I did like Erwin as a wildcard guy that could put some things together and become a legit prospect, but you can't fault the Sox for putting this deal together.

I am very interested to see how Eaton and Lawrie co-exist. They are either going to be besties or mortal enemies. I imagine that will depend on how the team performs.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 09:26 AM)
I feel like the Sox did flukeishly underperform last year though.

No one expected Samardzija, LaRoche, Garcia, Gillaspie, Sanchez, etc to be that bad.

Even if they just played to their career averages, the Sox would've won 83-85 games last season IMO.

I absolutely expected Gillaspie to be that bad

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 09:03 AM)
Please quit using fielding percentage as if it's a relevant stat. Even if you are going to use it please remember that 2nd and 3rd base are not equals. Last year the average fielding percentage for 2B was .984, for 3B it was .958. Of course his fielding percentage is going to increase the more he plays second. 3B is much harder to play, it requires much quicker reflexes and much longer throws than 2B does.

You are wrong again. I did not post his combined but his % by position. The poster said his defense dropped last year because he played both 3rd and 2nd. But the first 2 years in MLB he only played 3rd and his fielding % was lower at 3B than his fielding % at 3B in the years he played 3rd and 2nd.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
You are wrong again. I did not post his combined but his % by position. The poster said his defense dropped last year because he played both 3rd and 2nd. But the first 2 years in MLB he only played 3rd and his fielding % was lower at 3B than his fielding % at 3B in the years he played 3rd and 2nd.

Either way, using fielding percentage is a piss poor way to evaluate a defender.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 05:00 PM)
I still think Avi is going to be a good ball player. I am in the minority here but I still feel he has all the tools and he has a great work ethic that became evident when he returned after the injury when it was the thought he would be done for the year. I am pulling for the guy.

I think he's a bit better than Viciedo, but not much. For whatever reason, he's a mess at the plate. He has some great hits, some great at bats, but overall doesn't seem to have much of a clue up there and I don't see it improving. He almost seems overanxious up there to me. Of course I would be too with pitchers throwing 100 mph and relievers entering in the sixth inning with their assortment of pitches.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 06:03 AM)
Please quit using fielding percentage as if it's a relevant stat. Even if you are going to use it please remember that 2nd and 3rd base are not equals. Last year the average fielding percentage for 2B was .984, for 3B it was .958. Of course his fielding percentage is going to increase the more he plays second. 3B is much harder to play, it requires much quicker reflexes and much longer throws than 2B does.

Fielding percentage isn't a relevant stat. But third base isn't harder to play than second base. It's easier. Another way of saying that is "there are more players who can play third base than there are who can play second base." Because they can't cover the ground required at second base.

Third base however, will lead to more errors because of the length of the throw and the speed with which the ball gets to the 3b man.

Stick Evan Longoria at 2nd base and he'll maybe make less errors. And he'll give up way more hits on all of the balls he can't get to

I follow along on this site fairly religiously. Seldom do I feel the need to post something, unless I'm drunk or some dumb s***.

but I feel the need to add this to the discussion.

I live in Toronto. I worked as a bartender during Lawrie's rookie year. He was a hero. No other way to put it. He was the franchise saviour for the Blue Jays. He was the Canadian cover athlete for our version of MLB THE SHOW, for example.

He was still a kid. Maybe 22? I met him a couple times while working. He always seemed quiet and polite, though somewhat intense. Never rude.

Then he was traded for Josh Donaldson. He was expected to replace an MVP type player. Again, perhaps impossible expectations

What I'm getting at is....maybe he can benefit from not being expected to be "the answer" and just be the player he is. I think that can be a good player.

If you excuse intensity for being a "douche" that's is a mistake. And those who like to make personal assumptions about people they don't know? Chill, head.

Edited by Blackout Friday

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 04:30 AM)
I follow along on this site fairly religiously. Seldom do I feel the need to post something, unless I'm drunk or some dumb s***.

I live in Toronto. I worked as a bartender during Lawrie's rookie year. He was a hero. No other way to put it. He was the franchise saviour for the Blue Jays. He was the Canadian cover athlete for our version of MLB THE SHOW, for example.

He was still a kid. Maybe 22? I met him a couple times while working. He always seemed quiet and polite, though somewhat intense. Never rude.

Then he was traded for Josh Donaldson. He was expected to replace an MVP type player. Again, perhaps impossible expectations

What I'm getting at is....maybe he can benefit from not being expected to be "the answer" and just be the player he is. I think that can be a good player.

If you excuse intensity for being a "douche" that's is a mistake. And those who like to make personal assumptions about people they don't know? Chill, head.

a great point and a nice way to say we should be a little understanding.

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 09:30 PM)

Thank you for taking the time to post this. Everything I have read about Lawrie says he's a genuinely good person and goes with everything you said about him. I looked around at his twitter and Instagram and the fans just love him. Another member here posted a video of him giving a surprise visit to a six year old little girl on her birthday and he was nice as could be and asked her for a hug.

The Sox need more intensity and Lawrie will surely help with that.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 06:39 AM)
"Rage-filled bro"? What gives you that impression?

Videos of him slamming his helmet down, punching a water cooler, huffing around enraged in the dugout answered the "rage-filled" equation.

And his nickname from Oakland fans was "breh". The famous shirtless, 40oz pictures help support him being a "bro", outside of the Oakland fans calling him such.

In case you were wondering, Nick Swisher was the last "bro" we had. Not quite as rage-filled though.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 08:26 AM)
I feel like the Sox did flukeishly underperform last year though.

No one expected Samardzija, LaRoche, Garcia, Gillaspie, Sanchez, etc to be that bad.

Even if they just played to their career averages, the Sox would've won 83-85 games last season IMO.

Also in the disagree group and willing to say I expected big regression in Gillespie and a little bit of regression in Abreu, Eaton and Sale. Also was skeptical about LaRoche but I thought Melky and Samardzija would have been better.

Edit: Eaton was awesome too last year I should say. He wasn't the same scrappy player from 14 but managed to hit what, 13 more homers?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 10:30 PM)

Was still drunk. But all true. Lawrie's rep as a "douche" is presumptuous and stupid.

That is really cool to hear. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the info. He may not be the answer to our 3B problem but then again maybe he is. I, for one, am looking forward to spring training and seeing what this young man can do for the Sox. We need some intensity on this team and I'll be watching with interest.

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 05:08 AM)
Was still drunk. But all true. Lawrie's rep as a "douche" is presumptuous and stupid.

It was posted in this thread that Mark Buehrle ( who is revered around here) said he had no problem at all with Lawrie . He was probably asked by the Sox front office about Lawrie's character before the Sox pulled the trigger on the trade. It needs to be emphasized and re-emphasized. We've probably all seen or knew athletes who were ultra competitive to the point of being dicks to umps and opposing players but with their own team mates they are the kind of guys you would want in a foxhole with you. Knowing a guy has your back is a good thing, a very good thing.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)
It was posted in this thread that Mark Buehrle ( who is revered around here) said he had no problem at all with Lawrie . He was probably asked by the Sox front office about Lawrie's character before the Sox pulled the trigger on the trade. It needs to be emphasized and re-empathized. We've probably all seen or knew athletes who were ultra competitive to the point of being dicks to umps and opposing players but with their own team mates they are the kind of guys you would want in a foxhole with you. Knowing a guy has your back is a good thing, a very good thing.

excellent post.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 10:20 AM)
It was posted in this thread that Mark Buehrle ( who is revered around here) said he had no problem at all with Lawrie . He was probably asked by the Sox front office about Lawrie's character before the Sox pulled the trigger on the trade. It needs to be emphasized and re-emphasized. We've probably all seen or knew athletes who were ultra competitive to the point of being dicks to umps and opposing players but with their own team mates they are the kind of guys you would want in a foxhole with you. Knowing a guy has your back is a good thing, a very good thing.

Great post and couldn't agree more.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
Chris Sale isn't a bro.

Paul Konerko got mad one time too. I guess he's on the same temperament as Carlos Zambrano then? Come on now.

With all his personal handshakes for different players in the dugout he kinda looks like a bro...for what it's worth. Granted who cares if a guy is a "bro"?

I don't really know why you're obsessing over this for like four days.

Edited by soxfan2014