White Sox acquire Brett Lawrie

Baron

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 08:42 AM)
I feel like the Sox should sell high on Engel now.

He was a nobody before the AFL, and now he's on the radar. It's time to capitalize on his value.

It's not quite that black and white. He was not a nobody, he was a prospect to watch in the system, Top 20 on the back end. AFL made him pop a bit more, but so did his improved plate discipline in A+ this year and his very strong defense. He's not on the radar purely for AFL - scouts and analysts aren't that gullible. He's always been seen as pretty high-ceiling.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 08:50 AM)
I keep reading from A's fans that Beane is going to "fleece" Hahn again like with Shark. My belief is that is not the case, I would take the first round draft pick over any of the four players that the Sox gave up. Thoughts?

The draft pick the Sox will get because Samardzija signed elsewhere could be better than the players the Sox sent over there. I just look at the fact that it wasn't Shark's fault the Sox sucked last year. There were so many bad things that happened, and his poor pitching was just a small part of that.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 08:52 AM)
White Sox have been kicking the tires on Brett Lawrie for at least a month. Staying healthy is key question for club

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/674602123452145664

Levine has no idea. This am, he tried taking credit for the news that broke out of San Francisco last night and it was just sad. He's been merely saying itd be a good idea for the Sox to talk to Oakland, and even that I'm he probably took from this message board or twitter.

At age 21, in 69 games at AAA Vegas, he hit .353 with 24 doubles, 6 triples and 18 homers. His slugging % was .661

I don't care if it was the PCL, that's very impressive. Project those numbers over a full 162 game season and you're talking about 50 doubles, 13 triples and 40 HR's.

No wonder he was so cocky. That kind of production would do a lot to boost anyone's confidence.

That's why he was such a highly rated prospect, as these rankings demonstrate:

Prospect Ratings by Baseball America:

Pre-2009: Rated #81 Prospect

Pre-2010: Rated #59 Prospect

Pre-2011: Rated #40 ProspectProspect Ratings by BaseballProspectus.com:

Pre-2009: Rated #57 Prospect

Pre-2010: Rated #99 Prospect

Pre-2011: Rated #57 Prospect

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 08:50 AM)
I keep reading from A's fans that Beane is going to "fleece" Hahn again like with Shark. My belief is that is not the case, I would take the first round draft pick over any of the four players that the Sox gave up. Thoughts?

I've read comments from A's fans thinking they won't get anyone for him.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 08:58 AM)
So - trade Avi and Engle for Lawrie and then sign Upton seems to be the big plan? Supplemental moves to follow.

A lineup of

Eaton

Melky

Abreu

Upton

Lawrie

LaRoche

Navarro

Saladino

Sanchez

doesn't seem that bad and is much improved over the 2015 version. I just don't know if it would make the Sox a playoff caliber team though.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 08:32 AM)
I wouldn't be happy about giving up Engel. I could see Trayce because of his brother in the area that makes sense plus he was productive in his small sample size in the bigs.

If anything else, we'd be selling at his peak value after his AFL.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 04:06 PM)
By the way if anyone wants to do any supposition about prospects involved, here is the mid-season Top 30 prospects list. Its from July/August so some things have shifted, and there are a few guys not on there that likely will be in January, but you get the idea.

great, it is always nice to have a ref to look at.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 08:55 AM)
Levine has no idea. This am, he tried taking credit for the news that broke out of San Francisco last night and it was just sad. He's been merely saying itd be a good idea for the Sox to talk to Oakland, and even that I'm he probably took from this message board or twitter.

Bruce is really good at waiting until something comes out, and then saying he knew it all along. He is either the worst reporter in the world, because he won't break a story, or he is a liar.

I'll let everyone else be the judge.,