White Sox acquire Brett Lawrie

Baron

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)
A possible name to keep an eye on....when I visited Winston-Salem in August I talked to several scouts from different organizations who LOVED Trey Michalczewski. The Winston-Salem roster was loaded but Michalczewski was the first name I always heard.

I'd be so bummed if Trey is in this deal.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)
I loved what I saw from Trayce last year, but if you can use him as a main piece to acquire a young starting 3b...then nice job selling high on him.

I still think he improves this team dramatically just with his defense over Melky and Avi. Even if we sign Upton, I'd want Trayce out there. I think trading him creates a hole to fill one.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)
I loved what I saw from Trayce last year, but if you can use him as a main piece to acquire a young starting 3b...then nice job selling high on him.

I actually didnt realize that Lawrie is only 25. Its seems like he has been in the league a long time.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 03:47 PM)
I still think he improves this team dramatically just with his defense over Melky and Avi. Even if we sign Upton, I'd want Trayce out there. I think trading him creates a hole to fill one.

If it was up to me, Avi is traded before Trayce

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)

I am with you. Improve in the other areas without giving him up and you can afford to have Trayce as a wildcard in the lineup. Maybe he will surprise some folks and come around offensively. If (big if, I know) he does you have a commodity that everyone in the league wants right now. Speed/defense and some pop.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 09:37 AM)
Thank you. I feel like I am the only one who isn't a Trayce believer. He had an incredible start, and a quick downturn to where he would be expected to hit. The defense is impressive, but I just don't see the bat being there. If he can get us a starting 3B, I am OK with that.

I agree with you 100%. If the Sox would have traded Trayce for Lawrie a year ago this site would have been ecstatic. Then Trayce comes up and plays well in just a small handful of games and suddenly he's the future? It seems that people like to ignore the fact that the guy put up just low .700 OPSs in the minors and is actually 3 months older than Avisail Garcia who most on this board have written off and who had vastly superior AAA numbers.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)
I agree with you 100%. If the Sox would have traded Trayce for Lawrie a year ago this site would have been ecstatic. Then Trayce comes up and plays well in just a small handful of games and suddenly he's the future? It seems that people like to ignore the fact that the guy put up just low .700 OPSs in the minors and is actually 3 months older than Avisail Garcia who most on this board have written off and who had vastly superior AAA numbers.

Garcia's numbers are irrelevant because they can't put him in the field anymore. Trayce is a beast defensively so you're leaving out half the story.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)

I think you guys may be downplaying the importance of how a guy plays when he hits the big stage. Its a huge deal to come up and play like you belong.

But hey, maybe I am over playing the fact he played well on the big stage, iono.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)

Trayce is a 4th OF until he proves otherwise as far as I'm concerned. The potential is obviously there, but how many guys have ever succeed in the majors after being unable to hit effectively past high A? I'm sure there are some examples, but most have probably been after a change of scenery though.

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
I think you guys may be downplaying the importance of how a guy plays when he hits the big stage. Its a huge deal to come up and play like you belong.

But hey, maybe I am over playing the fact he played well on the big stage, iono.

His "playing like he belonged" was basically an unreal, non-sustainable first few weeks followed by a mediocre month that averaged out to a good looking stint.

August: .469/.514/.844

September: .233/.310/.422

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
Garcia's numbers are irrelevant because they can't put him in the field anymore. Trayce is a beast defensively so you're leaving out half the story.

I think you're using the term beast a little loosely here. Sure he is a good outfielder but he's not gold glove quality. Using UZR/150 he would have ranked 35th amongst all outfielders with at least 200 innings played. Had he played a full season he would have been roughly 25th in DRS. While that is good, it's not good enough if he can't manage a .700 OPS.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

I think you're using the term beast a little loosely here. Sure he is a good outfielder but he's not gold glove quality. Using UZR/150 he would have ranked 35th amongst all outfielders with at least 200 innings played. Had he played a full season he would have been roughly 25th in DRS. While that is good, it's not good enough if he can't manage a .700 OPS.

You need at least a seasons worth of defensive metrics before they mean anything.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)

Metrics in his short stint are pretty close to useless. He'd be a plus or plus-plus corner guy, and at least above average if not plus in CF, in my view. don't care about gold gloves, but he'd be very good out there.

QUOTE (staxx @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 10:27 AM)
I agree. But we can't overvalue our prospects.

Sox also can't be giving away prospects when the system is thin. Sox are walking on a fine line from things needing to go right vs things can go wrong and taking another step back.