Jason Heyward to Cubs (8 yrs 184M)

GGajewski18

Back off the ledge, folks. The Sox aren't moving.

Somebody said that the other teams sharing cities with a big brother at least compete, unlike the Sox. Uh, the Mets had 6 straight losing seasons before they won a pennant. The future will continue to look dire for the Sox... until it doesn't.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
I dont think it's the ballpark. Its really a great place to watch a game. I think it's sox fans in general look for excuses not to go.

This organization hasnt really given fans a reason to go if we are being serious. Theyve been to the playoffs 6 times since 1920.

Solid signing, for sure. An already exciting offense (if you prefer the longball over manufacturing runs) just became more dangerous.

If I'm a Cub fan, I'm still concerned about how this team performs in the playoffs. It's definitely built to succeed in the regular season, but the things that knocked them out last postseason (pitching, non-contact hitters, defense) have only been improved slightly. I'm not saying they can't win it all this year, they'll definitely be considered a strong contender, I just think they're a team that screams 105 regular season wins and an NLCS exit.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 09:00 PM)
The NL will be much tougher next year.

It's so much more top heavy than the AL is. Half the teams in the NL are trying, the other half have no chance of winning 70 games. In the AL, some of the worst teams have the most talented players in baseball (Seattle, CWS, Boston)

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
This organization hasnt really given fans a reason to go if we are being serious. Theyve been to the playoffs 6 times since 1920.

This is what I mean. In the late 90's and 2000s the sox had one of the highest winning percaentages in baseball. Fans didnt go because thet werent in the playoffs. If the sox consistently nake the playoffs, fans wont go because they didnt win the world series often enough.

I hafe season tickets because I enjoy baseball, live closer to the ballpark and enjoy the ballpark.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 02:05 PM)
Just look at the Mets division. You have basically 3 teams rebuilding and then the Nationals.

The west will be tougher. The cubs are a good team don't get me wrong and Heyward makes them better.

If the other big outfielders go to the NL the shift in balance becomes more equal.

The other NL teams that want to compete will have to do some more heavy lifting most notably the cardinals, dodgers and Nats

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 02:10 PM)
The west will be tougher. The cubs are a good team don't get me wrong and Heyward makes them better.

If the other big outfielders go to the NL the shift in balance becomes more equal.

The other NL teams that want to compete will have to do some more heavy lifting most notably the cardinals, dodgers and Nats

Well the Dodgers need to do something. So do the Cardinals.

Chapman screwing up really put them in a bind.

As long as Heyward is really good for 3 years, this is a pretty genius contract for Theo. He lets him walk when his guys get expensive and doesn't have to pay him for his over 30 years.

The gamble is Heyward doesn't regress for 3 years. That seems like a decent bet. The downside is if he gets injured or falls apart, Theo has a problem.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 02:07 PM)
Jayson Heyward in 2015: 79 runs/13 HR/60 RBI/.293 BA/.359 OBP/.797 OPS

Adam Eaton in 2015: 98 runs/14 HR/56 RBI/.287 BA/.361 OBP/.792 OPS

https://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien/status/675403766129102849

I just murdered a kangaroo. you gotta be f***ing kidding me? runs? rbi? #facepalm. Chuck whatever the f*** his name is should be banished pete rose style for that garbage. a dynasty is forming and there's nothing anybody can do about it.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)
The NL will be much tougher next year.

Cubs, Cards, Pirates, Mets, Nationals, Diamondbacks, Giants, and Dodgers are battling for 5 playoff spots.

Reds, Brewers, Braves, Phillies, Rockies, Brewers, and Marlins are all bad though.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 02:14 PM)
As long as Heyward is really good for 3 years, this is a pretty genius contract for Theo. He lets him walk when his guys get expensive and doesn't have to pay him for his over 30 years.

The gamble is Heyward doesn't regress for 3 years. That seems like a decent bet. The downside is if he gets injured or falls apart, Theo has a problem.

The other scenarios where it could a problem is an injury or if he truly enjoys the situation with chicago and maddon and decides he can live with 24 million per year.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)
Also, for those of you who want a full rebuild to replicate the Cubs' path, remember that they are where they are right now partly due to a couple lopsided trades (Rizzo, Russell), a pitcher coming out of nowhere to become a top 5 pitcher, and spending almost half a billion dollars in two offseasons in free agency. We'd never be able to do all that.

It needs to start with a few lopsided, franchise altering trades. That's Hahn's responsibility. Lawrie type of deals are great but we're only moving the needle a little bit. Yes, I know, every team is looking for that -- but yet every offseason there's a lopsided trade or two and I always hear how it can bever happen with the Sox. Or some other excuse that says it was the perfect set of circumstances. Hahn should have been shopping Quintana from Day 1 of the Winter Meetings. Now, more so. We're not getting our star OF through FA....it's going to be through drafting (HAHA) or trade.

I think everyone expecting Upton or Cespedes is going to be disappointed. I read on South Side Sox the White Sox offered Laroche to Pittsburgh with us picking up 8million.....and they declined. We're trying to collect as much money as possible for the big FA push but I feel like we're near our salary limit and someone else has to go

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 09:17 PM)
I just murdered a kangaroo. you gotta be f***ing kidding me? runs? rbi? #facepalm. Chuck whatever the f*** his name is should be banished pete rose style for that garbage. a dynasty is forming and there's nothing anybody can do about it.

No one is saying Eaton is better overall than Heyward. If anything, I think it's just people pointing out that they were extremely similar offensive players last year.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
The other scenarios where it could a problem is an injury or if he truly enjoys the situation with chicago and maddon and decides he can live with 24 million per year.

True, but that's the case with any big contract, those 8 years are guaranteed whether there's an opt out in there or not. The opt out is just an extra win-win for the player and team added to the typical big dollar deal, there's really no downside to it and plenty of upside.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
Cubs, Cards, Pirates, Mets, Nationals, Diamondbacks, Giants, and Dodgers are battling for 5 playoff spots.

Reds, Brewers, Braves, Phillies, Rockies, Brewers, and Marlins are all bad though.

With the unbalanced schedule, the NL East/Central teams have an advantage over the West teams for the 2 WC spots.