Heyman: Justin Upton to the Tigers

Baron

To be honest, I'm not all that convinced by the Tigers.

From the start of last season, they replaced Cespedes with Upton (like for like)

They replaced Price with Zimmerman (downgrade)

They replaced Soria and Nathan with K-Rod and Wilson.

A rotation of Zimmerman, Verlander, Sanchez, Greene and Norris should strike fear into no-one.

A bullpen with K-Rod, Wilson and a lot of holes should also strike the fear into no-one

The finish this off with a right-handed heavy line-up that admittedly has the impressive Cabrera, V-Mart, Upton and J-Mart but then again last season they had Cabrera, V-Mart, Cespedes and J-Mart and they ended up winning 74 games last year.

I'm not convinced. Losing Price, Cespedes, Avila, Soria and Nathan and replacing them with Zimmerman, Upton, Salty, K-Rod and Wilson will not give this team another 15-20 wins that it will need to win the AL Central.

Edited by glangon

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So as I suspected the Tigers had whatever money these guys were asking for but in the end they decided they liked Upton more than Cespedes. It would have been way worse if they would have signed Cespedes though, knowing we werent in on Upton at all.

I still cant understand why Upton wanted NOTHING to do with the Sox. It seems like it was more than just a money issue being that he wouldnt even talk with them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:07 PM)
I think ill itch will be gone soon, and there are going to be problems in Detroit, besides no World Series wins, so under your criteria, the Tigers haven't had any exciting seasons under his ownership.

They could very well end up being in the Padres or Mets situation very soon.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:13 PM)
Correct. Currently only a few keepers. This is why they need to be patient and continue to make good trades and short term FAs. This way can have good teams until they can produce better players. They won't survive a total strip down like the Cubs.

And even with a total strip down, the Cubs still managed to spend nearly half a billion dollars in free agent contracts to add to it. Something the Sox will never be able to do.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
They could very well end up being in the Padres or Mets situation very soon.

Yet here we are in a very White Sox situation, directionless with limited money to spend and holes to fill with no doubt more second/third tier options.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)
Yet here we are in a very White Sox situation, directionless with limited money to spend and holes to fill with no doubt more second/third tier options.

with all due respect, i would rather go with the bold if it means spending money just to spend money.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 12:11 AM)
JR is going to be 80 years old soon and isn't going to do a rebuild so the "three year window" , "rebuilding on the fly" , "retooling" stuff will continue as it has for the last 8 years or so. I really think KW and Hahn are in a tough spot and I wouldn't want their jobs. With the 120M budget they have to work with, there isn't much of a margin for error. Just one or two bad contracts can really hurt a budget like that.

I was hoping for a rebuild last winter but then I realized JR's age and realized it will not happen.

I really wonder if JR is getting close to selling the team. The team seems to pretty firm in making sure that all contracts are coming off the books at the end of 2019 which would lower the amount of debt that a new owner would need to take on. I could see JR selling the team in 2017-2018 range as he has said that he does't think his family should keep the team after hes gone. A low debt load coupled with the possibility of a lucrative TV deal in 2019 would be enough to get JR all he wants out of selling the team.

I think JR would like to win, but its not his priority right now, he already has his ring.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
One thing: I have to wonder why Dombrowski was sacked when this is still the behavior post DD.

I am not sure he was "sacked". I think he was probably having talks with Boston and Ilitch's statement was "I've decided to release Dave from his contract in order to afford him the time to pursue other career opportunities." Then Boston sat on it for a month to avoid tampering charges and give the appearance of a thorough hiring process.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 05:19 PM)
I am not sure he was "sacked". I think he was probably having talks with Boston and Ilitch's statement was "I've decided to release Dave from his contract in order to afford him the time to pursue other career opportunities." Then Boston sat on it for a month to avoid tampering charges and give the appearance of a thorough hiring process.

nice post, but wouldn't that be define as tampering????

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)

Have you heard this anywhere? I feel like a situation like that would leak, considering the teams involved and media around Boston.

Upton also was pursued by the Chicago White Sox, Texas Rangers and Houston Astros, but those teams preferred signing him to a short-term deal. Upton’s agreement takes away another viable option for Cespedes, who remains on the market with dwindling options.

Nightnegale

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
Makes you wonder what they are truly willing to do with Cespedes. 4 years seem logical.

The four/$88M Jimmy has been throwing around seems like a good offer, even after the Upton news. I wouldn't want the Sox to go any longer or higher.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)
Have you heard this anywhere? I feel like a situation like that would leak, considering the teams involved and media around Boston.

No, I have not. It was my speculation at the time when DD left given that Larry Lucchino was out as president in Boston three days earlier.

Nothing to see here, just random internet speculation. But I could see the Red Sox making an approach knowing Lucchino was leaving and DD going to Ilitch to express his interest and then Ilitch "releasing him to pursue other opportunities". The phrasing of the statement from Ilitich always struck me as DD had other irons in the fire.