Heyman: Justin Upton to the Tigers

Baron

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:02 PM)
Gotta figure some of these guys will pass on theirs (Ian Kennedy needs an opt out? Really? He's going to get more than that?)

Right...but it seems to be clear now you have to have it in the contract somewhere. Just to give the player the option.

Ah f*** now.

I'd be happy that a division rival is throwing the dollars and years at someone like this, but evidently it doesn't matter to Detroit. They'll keep doing it until they win, the owner moves on from this world, or someone casually reminds the FO that they aren't the NYY. Whichever comes first.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:00 PM)
Your move, Jerry Reinsdorf.

It's hard to make an argument that as things stand today, despite our 3 young/cost-controlled aces at the front of the rotation, we're NOT still likely a 4th or 5th place team.

If Minnesota can get another starting pitcher, they might actually be the most dangerous team in the AL Central, but Sano still has to follow up his impressive debut and adjust to the pitchers this time around. Buxton has to stay healthy and put up at least a 700 OPS.

Mike Illitch....balls (or, more accurately, a bank vault) of steel.

It certainly feels like the White Sox can't be done adding to next year's team....if they are 'all in'.

As much as the Lawrie and Frazier (in paritcular) should help, that is NOT what you think when you're all in unless they either do have a tight budget for the upcoming season and/or believe the in-house talent will rebound and don't have to do as much.

"This just puts them in a position to compete with us".

This really changes the landscape for Cespedes. He has every reason to expect a similar deal, at this point, and I doubt the Sox give it to him. Even though I agree that this is a pretty dumb deal for Detroit, it further exacerbates a problem we are all too familiar with; that the White Sox will not pay open market price for a premium player. Cespedes will get his money from someone and we will be left with Fowler or Jackson. I know I said I was warming up to the idea of Jackson, but with KC retaining Gordon and Detroit nabbing Upton in an already tough division.... I mean seriously how the hell are you going to expect to compete!? You need someone who is a run producer in the outfield and that is Cespedes. Jackson and Fowler are okay players on an already elite team, but they will not push this team over the top.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:12 PM)
"This just puts them in a position to compete with us".

This really changes the landscape for Cespedes. He has every reason to expect a similar deal, at this point, and I doubt the Sox give it to him. Even though I agree that this is a pretty dumb deal for Detroit, it further exacerbates a problem we are all too familiar with; that the White Sox will not pay open market price for a premium player. Cespedes will get his money from someone and we will be left with Fowler or Jackson. I know I said I was warming up to the idea of Jackson, but with KC retaining Gordon and Detroit nabbing Upton in an already tough division.... I mean seriously how the hell are you going to expect to compete!? You need someone who is a run producer in the outfield and that is Cespedes. Jackson and Fowler are okay players on an already elite team, but they will not push this team over the top.

Good point. Davis (7 years), Upton (6 years?) and Gordon (4 years) all got multi-year deals. I'm not exactly sure who these teams are bidding against (specifically in the Davis contract), but I don't understand why Cespedes wouldn't get at least get a 4 year deal, and probably 5-6 years.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:15 PM)
Good point. Davis (7 years), Upton (6 years?) and Gordon (4 years) all got multi-year deals. I'm not exactly sure who these teams are bidding against (specifically in the Davis contract), but I don't understand why Cespedes wouldn't get at least get a 4 year deal, and probably 5-6 years.

Upton and Gordon signed for lower than predicted, though, right? I think Cespedes might still get 5 years, but unless it's the Angels I don't see another team able or willing to offer him over $100 million.

Edited by OmarComing25

The White Sox are now the 4th best team in their division. Sweet.

I'm sorry but this move is bad news for the Sox all together. Upton gets paid big on 6 years, it improves direct competition & this was a team that wasn't supposed to be in on the top 2.

Being a fan of this team can be so damn frustrating. Yes, I know Cespedes is still out there but we all know how this is going to end.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 08:54 PM)
Cespedes should get less than Upton, but I think 5/$100M becomes a realistic target for him and I don't see the Sox going five years.

Of course they won't, that would make perfect sense. This front office better get going on the outfield or they won't make it out of the hotel during SoxFest.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:22 PM)
Of course they won't, that would make perfect sense. This front office better get going on the outfield or they won't make it out of the hotel during SoxFest.

Our ownership is a joke...one of only 3 MLB teams NEVER to have given out a $70M or greater contract. Ridiculous. And if this 3-year thing is true given today's market, they are completely insane and should be ashamed of themselves. Sell the damn team to somebody who wants to win already.

Edited by soxfan85

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 08:36 PM)
Well Tigers will be tougher the next two years but after that they're completely f***ed.

Everyone keeps saying this year after year after year, but I don't think it matters to them. Their books and finances probably look like Illinois' books and finances, but they'll dip their toes in these waters again in 2 or 3 years once they inevitably fail to win a championship.