Heyman: Justin Upton to the Tigers

Baron

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:35 PM)
I think it's time we stop believing what teams are supposedly out & which teams will pay what, because realistically NONE of it has been true to this point.

How so? There weren't many who thought the Royals were out on Gordon, and the Tigers have been mentioned all offseason long as a potential player on the big 3 OF. And Davis going to Baltimore surprised no one. There's been nothing out of the ordinary here.

Edited by OmarComing25

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will forever hate Upton. That's all I gotta say. What a loser. Money aside, the fact that he would consider playing for the Sox but prefers to go to the dump that is Detroit is just baffling.

I truly hope the Sox do something, but, I'm not even confident Cespedes makes us favorites for the division at this point. We still have a weak back end of the rotation and question marks at SS, DH (assuming we sign Cespedes), and possibly C.

At this point, I like the idea of Desmond and Fowler/Jackson. Get better at two positions.

And I may just be ranting, but, this whole thing of refusing to spend on big contracts for good players is not a good strategy. We just end up over-spending to get average players like LaRoche, Dunn, Melky, etc. Philosophy needs to change asap.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:42 PM)
They just traded away 5 prospects for two players with two years of control. Two of those players were in their top 10. How is that not hurting their future?

This only applies if the prospects have a chance of being impact players. These were not. He traded marginal prospects for mlb talent to improve the team. Trading these prospects did not hurt the team's future.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 07:50 PM)
This only applies if the prospects have a chance of being impact players. These were not. He traded marginal prospects for mlb talent to improve the team. Trading these prospects did not hurt the team's future.

So, by that logic, the Sox have a crap farm system. If top 10 guys in your system are not impact players, you've got a lot more to worry about.

Just goes to show much f***ed this franchise is right now.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:50 PM)

I mean, I believe that as well but that's absolutely not a certainty. Either way, while I'm certainly not freaking out about anything yet and by themselves I like all the deals the sox have made, if you trade for a star with 2 years on his deal you best put something together that's better than a .500 team year one.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 07:42 PM)
They just traded away 5 prospects for two players with two years of control. Two of those players were in their top 10. How is that not hurting their future?

Actually 3 players were in the top 10 as of mid season 2015 based on Future Sox rankings. Montas 3, Micah Johnson 5 and Trayce Thompson was 10.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 04:57 AM)
I mean, I believe that as well but that's absolutely not a certainty. Either way, while I'm certainly not freaking out about anything yet and by themselves I like all the deals the sox have made, if you trade for a star with 2 years on his deal you better put something together than a .500 team year one.

Yep their chances at winning the division decreased tonight. Not a good situation when your two year window is going up against two very talented teams with a similar window.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:59 PM)
You have to admire Mike Ilitch. Money doesn't matter, what he has to do doesn't matter.

All that matters is winning the World Series.

And pizza. :)

(He owns Little Caesar's)

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:59 PM)
You have to admire Mike Ilitch. Money doesn't matter, what he has to do doesn't matter.

All that matters is winning the World Series.

I give him all the credit in the world. At least he's always in all the way.

Mark

Yet he has never won a World Seriies, and owes Cabrera, Verlander, Martinez, Zimmernan, and Upton over $600 million.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:01 PM)
Yet he has never won a World Seriies, and owes Cabrera, Verlander, Martinez, Zimmernan, and Upton over $600 million.

At least he is trying. Do you ever wonder why Tigers fans show up in spades to Comerica compared to Sox fans at US Cellular?

I have to believe its because ownership is committed to winning... at ALL costs.

Our ownership continuously proves to us that they are not committed to winning at all costs... and some are surprised that Sox fans hardly show up to the park.

Owing those guys 600 million doesn't matter much if the fans are showing up because you paid those guys 600 million.

Edited by South Sider

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:05 PM)
Given a choice as owner for the White Sox starting now, who do you take? Ilitch or Reinsdorf?

I think ill itch will be gone soon, and there are going to be problems in Detroit, besides no World Series wins, so under your criteria, the Tigers haven't had any exciting seasons under his ownership.

Edited by Dick Allen

Well, Upton was the guy I wanted all along. Hurts doubly that he's filling a significant hole on a division competitor. Hurts triply that the contract terms are reasonable.

For the first time, I'm really believing that the "three year" bulls*** is real. And it really sucks. If we don't end up with a significant upgrade in RF somehow, this will be the first time since Hahn took over that I legitimately think he f***ed up.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 11:07 PM)
I think ill itch will be gone soon, and there are going to be problems in Detroit

Reinsdorf is going to be gone soon, too, and there are problems in Chicago as we speak. So, given a choice starting now, who would you rather own the Sox, given the way you know they run their respective franchises? Reinsdorf or Ilitch?

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:54 PM)
So, by that logic, the Sox have a crap farm system. If top 10 guys in your system are not impact players, you've got a lot more to worry about.

Just goes to show much f***ed this franchise is right now.

Correct. Currently only a few keepers. This is why they need to be patient and continue to make good trades and short term FAs. This way can have good teams until they can produce better players. They won't survive a total strip down like the Cubs.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:08 PM)
Well, Upton was the guy I wanted all along. Hurts doubly that he's filling a significant hole on a division competitor. Hurts triply that the contract terms are reasonable.

For the first time, I'm really believing that the "three year" bulls*** is real. And it really sucks. If we don't end up with a significant upgrade in RF somehow, this will be the first time since Hahn took over that I legitimately think he f***ed up.

This x1,000,000.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:05 PM)
Given a choice as owner for the White Sox starting now, who do you take? Ilitch or Reinsdorf?

Well... Ilitch does have more money to commit to his team :D

Jerry is a great guy though!

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:57 PM)
I mean, I believe that as well but that's absolutely not a certainty. Either way, while I'm certainly not freaking out about anything yet and by themselves I like all the deals the sox have made, if you trade for a star with 2 years on his deal you best put something together that's better than a .500 team year one.

No its not a certainty. But we know they won't have a budget even asbig as theCubs so it is thebest chance to have a consistent winner. Posters keep using the criticism of "only one playoff appearance since 2005". This is because they haven't taken the time to build it, they have just tried to win this year.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:17 PM)
No its not a certainty. But we know they won't have a budget even asbig as theCubs so it is thebest chance to have a consistent winner. Posters keep using the criticism of "only one playoff appearance since 2005". This is because they haven't taken the time to build it, they have just tried to win this year.

What is the best way to build a consistent winner? Once again, no matter what we think about those guys trading 3 top 10 prospects for a 2 year guy and not putting out a team that can win in year one is pretty much the opposite of building a consistent winner. And like I said, I'm far from freaking out as there is are still ways to improve this team but I will be super frustrated if they're just going to play the middle here.

Ilitch made it clear last month at a news conference to announce the signing of Zimmermann that he’s not afraid to keep spending.

“I’m telling them you gotta get out there and get me the best players, and I don’t care about the money,” he said. “I want the best players, and that’s it.”

freep.com/sports

I wouldn't say it's the best division. That has to be the AL East.

Probably it will end up being the most competitive.

I'd even argue with Houston, the Rangers, the Angels and the Mariners...you've got just as much if not more talent in that division, especially if Cespedes ends up on one of the first three teams.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 10:08 PM)

Is it Hahn's fault if they aren't allowed to spend though?