Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

Nightengale is reliable, though of course he could be fed something with purpose just like anyone else. Also it sounds like the # of buyers right now is pretty bad. You have to evaluate this with that info at the forefront of everything.

This has the feel of a report that we'd get before (1) a signing (2) us getting out of the mix

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)
Nightengale is reliable, though of course he could be fed something with purpose just like anyone else. Also it sounds like the # of buyers right now is pretty bad. You have to evaluate this with that info at the forefront of everything.

This has the feel of a report that we'd get before (1) a signing (2) us getting out of the mix

Good post Jose and I agree.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)

Talks could have cooled and this is an attempt by one side to get the ball rolling again. So yeah, I know we say this every day, but hopefully there is resolution in the next week.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
Interesting Nightengale is tweeting about this today. Maybe they're trying to force the issue and get something done this weekend. We'll see.

Alex Gordon is probably holding things up right now

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 01:17 PM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 2m2 minutes ago

The Chicago #WhiteSox want to sign free agent OF Alex Gordon or Yoenis Cespedes, but only if they're willing to take 3-year deal or less.

More

In other words they are not a serious contender for either ones services.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
Not entirely sure how this benefits the Sox in any way

Sigh, yeah initially I advocated we chill out. But the more I sit with this the more I feel this was a really bad sign. Silence shows more control than this leak.

Sometimes it is truly painful being a White Sox fan. We will never give out a 9-figure contract. I hope I eat my words, but it is always the same 'ole story. Leave it to the White Sox to screw this up by crying "poor." With this news, we aren't "All in." We a partially in and hoping for the best with a useless RF. If they are truly only willing to go 3 years, they should be embarrassed. I am actually embarrassed.

Edited by soxfan85

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 03:27 PM)
Not entirely sure how this benefits the Sox in any way

Unfortunately it seems like it opens the door for a last minute entry by a team like the Angels or Tigers to swoop in and easily make a better offer than one centered on "three years or less".

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
Sometimes it is truly painful being a White Sox fan. We will never give out a 9-figure contract. I hope I eat my words, but it is always the same 'ole story. Leave it to the White Sox to screw this up by crying "poor." With this news, we aren't "All in." We a partially in and hoping for the best with a useless RF. If they are truly only willing to go 3 years, they should be embarrassed. I am actually embarrassed.

If this is true, I prefer they not leak the info. Just bow out gracefully.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
If this is true, I prefer they not leak the info. Just bow out gracefully.

Completely agree. If this is true, it is embarrassing trying to pretend to play with the big boys, but truly not wanting to be anywhere near the part of being one of the big boys in terms of spending.

Edited by soxfan85

Hey it is what it is... If Bobs report is true chances are we end up none of the big three. But who knows what's going on behind the scenes as much as I doubt KW would feed Nightengale BS. This very well could be a plant at an attempt to influence ongoing negotiations.

The point is all three of these guys are still available. If the market was overall demanding their services and teams were willing to give into the demands, then they would not still be free agents. This has been and will continue to be a pissing match between these guys agents and the interested teams FO.

We have no idea what the offers from other teams are or have been. We don't even know of the sox have made an offer to any of them, and if they have what the terms are. For most of the offseason we have been linked to all of these guys, and maybe the agents felt they could use our interest in creating or driving a market. But it would seem we are playing hard ball back or are incredibly stupid to be only considering a 3 year deal, when we all pretty much agree that won't get it done.

Let's just relax and see what happens. Hell we've waited this long already. This is probably just a negotiation ploy. I would guess there's some movement on this front in the next week, whether it's with us or other teams.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
No worries yet. Not sure I want any of these guys come 2019 anyways at more than 20 million

correct. It goes back to the improving the team without hurting the future. I'm sure they are willing to negotiate more and they will. However. After 3 years is anyone confident that this will be a good deal? So far the team is improved for this year and they haven't hurt the future. I'm sure there is much discussion on where the team will be and if any of these players are worth a bigger contract.

Many people on this board want the Sox to build from within. So far they haven't strayed from that and a big contract could hamper that in the future.

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)
Completely agree. If this is true, it is embarrassing trying to pretend to play with the big boys, but truly not wanting to be anywhere near the part of being one of the big boys in terms of spending.

I wonder how Todd Frazier feels now?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)
That he he is now playing for a team that will be better than the one he left.

But this FO needs to show him that they are willing to pay to get to the playoffs. Saying that our team is better than the Reds is not saying much!!