Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

Apparently these guys aren't getting offered anything if the White Wox have been mentioned as favorites to sign them but are only offering 3 years or less. Negotiating is a game. We should see what ultimately happens before the hopes drain.

There is a lot of bad information out there, some made up by attention mongers and some thrown out there by teams and agents. Maybe this piece was thrown out their by an agent trying to get other teams offering more than 3 years.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
But this FO needs to show him that they are willing to pay to get to the playoffs. Saying that our team is better than the Reds is not saying much!!

Sacrificing the future to win now is why the Sox are in the position they are. Improve the team each year while realistically protecting the future is a better plan.

Besides Frazier is gone in two years anyway.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
Sacrificing the future to win now is why the Sox are in the position they are. Improve the team each year while realistically protecting the future is a better plan.

Besides Frazier is gone in two years anyway.

The future is 2016!! Otherwise why trade for Frazier?

Theres been so many years/ numbers/ teams rumored with the big three, I wouldn't get anxious over the latest rumor. If it happens, it happens, if it doesn't then I suspect Hahn has a few backup plans to fall back on either with second tier FA's or trades. Relax Sox fans before you constipate yourselves.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
The future is 2016!! Otherwise why trade for Frazier?

Exactly. They won't have Sale, Quintana, Abreu, Eaton, etc signed to team friendly deals forever. If they won't take advantage of that by spending on the rest of the roster, it's time to just start an Astros/Cubs style rebuild. Continuing to hedge between trying to build a competitive roster and rebuilding is an awful strategy.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
Nothing has happened. All three are still FAs. Relax.

I'll try. But, with the acquisition of both Frazier and Lawrie and feeling like we may be just that one player away from being a much better team - - - I really would like to see something good happen real soon! I think we all would!

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 03:30 PM)
I'll try. But, with the acquisition of both Frazier and Lawrie and feeling like we may be just that one player away from being a much better team - - - I really would like to see something good happen real soon! I think we all would!

Yes, but not worth getting all worked up until the chips have fallen.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 03:32 PM)
[quote name='BlackSox13' date='Jan 1, 2016 -> 03:13 PM' post='3282553' Relax Sox fans before you constipate yourselves.

Too late! Can't poop!

Oh s***! Time to call in " The Laxitive". Hi8is, where arrrrrre yoooooooouu? To the Lax-mobile!!!

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb-news/46897...es-justin-upton

"Star first baseman Jose Abreu is trying to recruit Cespedes over to Chicago's South Side and might get his wish. If Chicago fails on both Cespedes and Gordon, the Sox could turn their attention to Justin Upton, which is not a bad consolation prize"

Upton with a similar opt-out to Heyward after 3-4 years makes some sense...

At least he would be in his 20's and with less concern about declining production.

That said, his market has been the most quietest of those three...kind of similar to Chris Davis, albeit with no offer from the Padres to legitimately keep him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)

At least he would be in his 20's and with less concern about declining production.

That said, his market has been the most quietest of those three...kind of similar to Chris Davis, albeit with no offer from the Padres to legitimately keep him.

Upton will turn 29 in August

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)

I agree, the Upton opt-out idea makes sense and is much more of a possibility than with Gordon/Cespedes whom seem to be looking to get locked up for the long term financial security. I like the idea of Upton and an opt-out depending on the parameters.

I have been googling the big three over the last four or five days and Upton is by and large the most quite as far as rumors and speculation goes. From the little bit I've been able find, it sounds like Upton might be sitting back waiting for Cespedes and/or Gordon to sign. Without Cespedes/Gordon for competition it could force a desperate team to be more willing to give into his demands.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)
I agree, the Upton opt-out idea makes sense and is much more of a possibility than with Gordon/Cespedes whom seem to be looking to get locked up for the long term financial security. I like the idea of Upton and an opt-out depending on the parameters.

I have been googling the big three over the last four or five days and Upton is by and large the most quite as far as rumors and speculation goes. From the little bit I've been able find, it sounds like Upton might be sitting back waiting for Cespedes and/or Gordon to sign. Without Cespedes/Gordon for competition it could force a desperate team to be more willing to give into his demands.

Wonder if the Sox are in better position now to go for Upton. Offer him a 5 year deal averaging say 23 million a year, with opt-outs after the 3rd/4th/5th years. Would fit the Sox 2-3 year window and allow Upton to re-enter free agency as early as age 31 I believe.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 05:46 PM)
Wonder if the Sox are in better position now to go for Upton. Offer him a 5 year deal averaging say 23 million a year, with opt-outs after the 3rd/4th/5th years. Would fit the Sox 2-3 year window and allow Upton to re-enter free agency as early as age 31 I believe.

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out, but if the White Sox need to "backload" a deal to take advantage of the ending of LaRoche and Danks's contracts after 2016, that makes offering an "opt out" basically worthless because the player would have given up a huge amount of money by backloading it.