Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

It's honestly hard to imagine where all of these FA OFs are gonna sign. After the big three, there are still multiple guys who can be productive pieces on a winning team, but there just doesn't seem to be much of a market for these guys to this point. I see no possible scenario in which several FAs (including Cespedes and Gordon) do not sign for far less than what they were projected to receive in November. And I think Parra, Span, Jackson and especially Fowler with the QO will get pretty friendly deals compared to some of the crazy inflated contracts we saw in November and early December. I could definitely see a scenario where the prices drop to a point that more teams get involved in any number of those guys, but it's a pretty crazy atmosphere out there right now. Supply is will in excess of demand (at current asking prices).

Rick Hahn has played this perfectly to this point. The people who have voiced otherwise in a strong fashion don't understand the economics of the game. The Sox are very well positioned to land Cespedes or Gordon, and likely at far less than we would have felt possible a mere 30-45 days ago.

Being patient sucks, but I feel it will be worth it.

Edited by ChiSox59

I have been very surprised by this market. All summer what did we hear.? You can find pitching, hitting and power are hard to come by. This market was supposed to hurt pitchers, yet we have seen sky high prices for them, and the most lob sided trade for one in recent memory. Meanwhile, a great class of outfielders has no market. I have theories, but it's bizarre.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 04:03 PM)
I have been very surprised by this market. All summer what did we hear.? You can find pitching, hitting and power are hard to come by. This market was supposed to hurt pitchers, yet we have seen sky high prices for them, and the most lob sided trade for one in recent memory. Meanwhile, a great class of outfielders has no market. I have theories, but it's bizarre.

I feel like teams have placed a much higher premium on pitching. Possibly, teams feel that they can home-grow their own hitting talent and use the FA market to bolster pitching, thus allocating the resources toward that.

Also, many of the hitters on the FA market have an asking price vs actual value this year due to the fact that there aren't any Greinke or Price caliber hitters ala Harper/McCutch in 18. (Upton/Heyward/Cespy considered tier 1). Teams simply may not see it worth giving these specific players high contracts.

Edited by staxx

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 05:27 PM)
I feel like these guys are getting close to signing. I'd be shocked if they didn't sign this week

I agree and once the first outfielder signs the rest will be in rapid succession one after another. The pressure is building.

QUOTE (staxx @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
I feel like teams have placed a much higher premium on pitching. Possibly, teams feel that they can home-grow their own hitting talent and use the FA market to bolster pitching, thus allocating the resources toward that.

Also, many of the hitters on the FA market have an asking price vs actual value this year due to the fact that there aren't any Greinke or Price caliber hitters ala Harper/McCutch in 18. (Upton/Heyward/Cespy considered tier 1). Teams simply may not see it worth giving these specific players high contracts.

Pitching wins in the playoffs.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 05:50 PM)
I just hope we strike first.

Yes and hopefully for one of Cespedes/Upton or another trade involving B level prospects or less.

This market has to be somewhat confusing to GM's since they have so many quality options available to them.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)
I think Sox and Gordon are using each other to get what they want. Gordon back to KC, CWS Cespedes. I expect another update of some sort Monday.

I agree. Either help this lineup but I think Cespedes fits the overall need better. Saving that pick would be pretty damn nice, too.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)
Abreu and Cespe 3/4 sure sounds sexy but so does Gordon in the two hole.

Speaking of batting order... The add of either one of these guys would be huge.

IF they were to bring back Alexei or someone else at SS, where do they bat? Only spot I can really see is either 7th or 9th...

CF Eaton

LF/RF Cabrera

1B Abreu

RF/LF Cespedes

3B Frazier

DH LaRoche

2B Lawrie

C Avila/Navarro

SS Saladino/Ramirez

Seems to make about the most sense, right?

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 07:08 PM)
I agree. Either help this lineup but I think Cespedes fits the overall need better. Saving that pick would be pretty damn nice, too.

Like I've said, give me Cespedes to go along with Frazier and Lawrie and I'm tickled to death. Plus we have a chance at a decent platoon at catcher and then have 3 top 50 picks? Hell yah. Imagine us in first place at the beginning of June, and go into the draft with 3 top 50 picks. That'd be exciting.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 07:13 PM)
Speaking of batting order... The add of either one of these guys would be huge.

IF they were to bring back Alexei or someone else at SS, where do they bat? Only spot I can really see is either 7th or 9th...

CF Eaton

LF/RF Cabrera

1B Abreu

RF/LF Cespedes

3B Frazier

DH LaRoche

2B Lawrie

C Avila/Navarro

SS Saladino/Ramirez

Seems to make about the most sense, right?

I'd much rather let Saladino play then Alexei. I'd rather sign Desmond than bring back Alexei.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 04:18 PM)
Hahaha

And a new sexual term to coincide:

Gordon - An average in length penis who's girth is exceptional.

To prevent future bulls*** postings of this nature I will go back now to just saying: blah, blah, blah... Blah blah blah blah.

Safer that way.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 04:17 PM)
I'd much rather let Saladino play then Alexei. I'd rather sign Desmond than bring back Alexei.

I do think if they sign Cespedes they may think harder about Alexei. Longer he's out there, the cheaper he is.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 06:14 PM)
Maybe a new sexual innuendo has been born... Aka: Give her a Gordon in the two hole.

Hmm, could be. Ventura: " think I'll put Gordon's bat in the chili hole.". Also, corn hole can be used for an ethanol-like flavor. Chili-cornqueso wrapped tube-steak, perhaps?

I'm so fricked baseball bored, like, Napoleon Dynamite bored! GAWD! Ya, its that bad...

There are exactly zero new rumors today as far as the free agent outfielders are concerned. Hell, not even OF trade rumors either but that's likely due to the lack of FA movement.

Edited by BlackSox13