Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 04:30 PM)
Hmm, could be. Ventura: " think I'll put Gordon's bat in the chili hole.". Also, corn hole can be used for an ethanol-like flavor. Chili-cornqueso wrapped tube-steak, perhaps?

I'm so fricked baseball bored, like, Napoleon Dynamite bored! GAWD! Ya, its that bad...

There are exactly zero new rumors today as far as the free agent outfielders are concerned. Hell, not even OF trade rumors either but that's likely due to the lack of FA movement.

Constipated market, there is.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 07:28 PM)
I do think if they sign Cespedes they may think harder about Alexei. Longer he's out there, the cheaper he is.

Sucks to give up a pick but Desmond is intriguing. Can't believe he turned down $107 million and had a bad contract year.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 07:30 PM)
Hmm, could be. Ventura: " think I'll put Gordon's bat in the chili hole.". Also, corn hole can be used for an ethanol-like flavor. Chili-cornqueso wrapped tube-steak, perhaps?

I'm so fricked baseball bored, like, Napoleon Dynamite bored! GAWD! Ya, its that bad...

There are exactly zero new rumors today as far as the free agent outfielders are concerned. Hell, not even OF trade rumors either but that's likely due to the lack of FA movement.

I didn't expect anything this weekend (rumor wise).

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 06:32 PM)
Constipated market, there is.

Seriously constipated. An endless game of Circle Jerk with the Butthole Surfers playing pop goes the weezle, except it never pops! Just caught in a timeless/endless loop...

No kiss kiss, no bang bang! Sigh...

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 06:34 PM)
I didn't expect anything this weekend (rumor wise).

I hear ya. I didn't expect any signings but did think there would be something new to discuss, even the off-kiltered tweet.

The Upton rumors are so eerily quiet it makes a library sound like a heavy metal concert venue.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)
Sucks to give up a pick but Desmond is intriguing. Can't believe he turned down $107 million and had a bad contract year.

The question i have is say the Sox sign Desmond to a 1 yr deal would he be eligible to be a qualifying offer free agent again next year if he performs well. really can't find the rules stating what is the requirements. Other idea tho is sign him to a 2 year deal with a opt out after 1st year then I believe for sure can qualify for offer. If you look at kazmirs deal it's for 3 years but can opt out after the first year and I'm pretty sure one of the baseball guys said he can get a qualifying offer again.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 07:49 PM)
The question i have is say the Sox sign Desmond to a 1 yr deal would he be eligible to be a qualifying offer free agent again next year if he performs well. really can't find the rules stating what is the requirements. Other idea tho is sign him to a 2 year deal with a opt out after 1st year then I believe for sure ca4m qualify for offer. If you look at kazmirs deal it's for 3 years but can opt out after the first year and I'm pretty sure one of the baseball guys said he can get a qualifying offer again.

I don't know the rules. I wouldn't hate a 1 year deal with a club option for next season.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 06:49 PM)
The question i have is say the Sox sign Desmond to a 1 yr deal would he be eligible to be a qualifying offer free agent again next year if he performs well. really can't find the rules stating what is the requirements. Other idea tho is sign him to a 2 year deal with a opt out after 1st year then I believe for sure can qualify for offer. If you look at kazmirs deal it's for 3 years but can opt out after the first year and I'm pretty sure one of the baseball guys said he can get a qualifying offer again.

There are no requirements. They could offer him one as long as he stays on team for the year.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 09:07 PM)
There are no requirements. They could offer him one as long as he stays on team for the year.

So if that's the case maybe a 1 yr deal which would forfeit the pick this year but recoup the pick next year as long as he plays well and stays with the team the whole year

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 09:15 PM)
So if that's the case maybe a 1 yr deal which would forfeit the pick this year but recoup the pick next year as long as he plays well and stays with the team the whole year

That makes sense for a lot of reasons.

1) Playing only four months, his salary should be more palatable.

2) Uncertainty about Saladino offensively as a regular.

3) Desmond could Dh, pinch run and possibly play all over the field like a Zobrist or Tony Phillips. He has the athleticism.

4) Gives them time to monitor Saladino, so no move until there's a clear need develops.

5) Improves team speed/base-stealing.

6) Motivation of playing for big contract if he rebounds.

7) No cost to the major or minor league rosters.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 06:48 PM)
I hear ya. I didn't expect any signings but did think there would be something new to discuss, even the off-kiltered tweet.

The Upton rumors are so eerily quiet it makes a library sound like a heavy metal concert venue.

Yeah, it's strange that we've heard basically nothing about Upton lately

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 3, 2016 -> 12:12 AM)
Yeah, it's strange that we've heard basically nothing about Upton lately

Wasn't there a thought that Upton potentially preferred Baltimore? Maybe he is literally waiting on the Davis stalemate to work itself out, in hopes that Davis leaves so he can get that $$.

Meanwhile Gordon & Cespedes see if they can find anyone to give them that extra year, and the Sox play patient while they have the best offers out to either guy. At least that's what I hope is going down...