Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)
If Justin Upton, a 3.6 fWAR player last year and 4.0 fWAR the year before that, makes them a competitor, then Dexter Fowler, a 3.2 fWAR player last year and 1.4 fWAR the year before that leaves them still pretty darn competitive. That's not the difference between 88 and 82 wins. If Dexter Fowler doesn't make them competitive, then the big 2 probably doesn't make them competitive either. They'd have a tiny bit of extra work to do in the latter case.

I see your point and I like it Balta but I think it completey overlooks lineup impact. WAR fails to acknowledge the fact that the one player makes our lineup scary while the other doesn't. Who the hell wants to pitch to Abreu Cespedes & Frazier? Those guys can change the score with one swing. One bad pitch changes the game.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
I see your point and I like it Balta but I think it completey overlooks lineup impact. WAR fails to acknowledge the fact that the one player makes our lineup scary while the other doesn't. Who the hell wants to pitch to Abreu Cespedes & Frazier? Those guys can change the score with one swing. One bad pitch changes the game.

Exactly. Projections & past stats are cool but it's a much different situation given the scenario.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)

Look at the other key stat though - Cespedes has a career .319 OBP. Fowler has a career .363. How many more runs score because Abreu hits a 2 run double instead of a bases empty double? And then throw in the extra work on the starting pitcher, etc.

If this lineup is scary with Cespedes, it's pretty darn good with Fowler. If this lineup isn't competitive with Fowler, it's not scary with Cespedes.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 04:59 PM)
I still think at this point I'd take power over OBP. I would have preferred Gordon, but I could not stand how it took 4 singles to get a run last year.

If Cespedes is added that's 3 guys in sox lineup with 30 homerun potential and possibly 100 rbis each

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 05:59 PM)
I still think at this point I'd take power over OBP. I would have preferred Gordon, but I could not stand how it took 4 singles to get a run last year.

The white sox were 14th in the AL in OBP last year and 15th in HR. They needed improvements in both, and they added an improvement in 1 of them so far, with 2 guys who can hit HR but do a weak job of getting on base. They are upgrades in on base over last year because the positions were so bad, but as of right now, this lineup is still near the bottom of the AL in getting on base.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 05:01 PM)
I really hope the Sox can sign Cespedes or Upton or some of the comments made on this board are going to be unbearable. :lol:

Ya I could see the Sox not getting anyone and Hahn going well just didnt find anyone to fit in so looks like the is it for the rest of the offseason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 05:03 PM)
The white sox were 14th in the AL in OBP last year and 15th in HR. They needed improvements in both, and they added an improvement in 1 of them so far, with 2 guys who can hit HR but do a weak job of getting on base. They are upgrades in on base over last year because the positions were so bad, but as of right now, this lineup is still near the bottom of the AL in getting on base.

Let's take care of both and sign Upton then :D

Lawrie got on base .030 more than Sanchez last year. Frazier is a similar improvement over whatever that was playing 3B last year. Not to mention the vast improvement at C and departure of my beloved, but very bad at getting on base, Alexei.

Just because guys don't have a .350+ OBP doesn't mean they cannot be improvements.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 06:09 PM)
Let's take care of both and sign Upton then :D

He'd help on this but if you look closely his OBP has a clearly worrisome downward signal.

2011: .369

2012: .355

2013: .354

2014: .342

2015: .336

So yeah, better than Cespedes at getting on base, more power than Fowler, but also gets on base less than Fowler and striking out a lot more.

Again, if this team isn't competitive with Fowler, they're not competitive with the big 2 no matter how much bigger their names are. If this team is competitive with the big 2, they're just about as close with Fowler and need a tiny bit of additional work to match the bigger names.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 05:06 PM)
Ya I could see the Sox not getting anyone and Hahn going well just didnt find anyone to fit in so looks like the is it for the rest of the offseason.

I think the Sox will either sign or trade for somebody, just might not be the high caliper player some might be expecting. There is definitely some high hopes and unrealistic expectations for a team that's already at its budget ceiling. Not saying JR will not raise it some, but I'm not going to assume he will til said or proven otherwise.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 05:28 PM)
I think the Sox will either sign or trade for somebody, just might not be the high caliper player some might be expecting. There is definitely some high hopes and unrealistic expectations for a team that's already at its budget ceiling. Not saying JR will not raise it some, but I'm not going to assume he will til said or proven otherwise.

At this point I'm not sure what they are going to do. Need to do more with the acquisitions of Frazier and Lawrie, though!! What will JR let RH do??

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 05:12 PM)
He'd help on this but if you look closely his OBP has a clearly worrisome downward signal.

2011: .369

2012: .355

2013: .354

2014: .342

2015: .336

So yeah, better than Cespedes at getting on base, more power than Fowler, but also gets on base less than Fowler and striking out a lot more.

Again, if this team isn't competitive with Fowler, they're not competitive with the big 2 no matter how much bigger their names are. If this team is competitive with the big 2, they're just about as close with Fowler and need a tiny bit of additional work to match the bigger names.

For the perhaps 20-25 times more often a season Fowler might get on base, I'll take the 10-15 extra home runs.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 07:10 PM)
For the perhaps 20-25 times more often a season Fowler might get on base, I'll take the 10-15 extra home runs.

Apparently I need to repeat this.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 05:01 PM)
I really hope the Sox can sign Cespedes or Upton or some of the comments made on this board are going to be unbearable. :lol:

Come on. That's really the fun of this board. It's like watching NASCAR or preschool dance recitals. They are mostly boring but you just wait for the crashes.

If the White Sox don't sign one of the remaining free agents

they just simply go in another direction. Maybe trade LaRoche, Danks and Garcia to the Angels for Mike Trout. I would like to think that most White Sox fans would be pleased with that trade.