Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today.

giphy.gif

I'm doing some research on OFers today...primarily defense. One of my favorite stats is runs saved.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
giphy.gif

I'm doing some research on OFers today...primarily defense. One of my favorite stats is runs saved.

:cheers

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)
I'm guessing that is what it is. And if the White Sox were the competition with KC for Gordon, why would KC have had to offer 4 years with an option for a 5th if the White Sox were only offering 3? That is another thing that doesn't make much sense. So either the Sox were offering 4 or 3 with an easily attainable 4th year vesting option or another team was offering 4.

This is a great point. My guess is that the White sox offered something like 4 years and $75-$80 million.

Some interesting things to point out just from a quick glance.

Dexter Fowler was essentially responsible for 20 runs scored in 2014 and around 13 last year. As opposed to Jason Heyward who was +24(saved). Cespedes was also better than Alex Gordon in that department. Alex Gordon dropped off pretty significantly.

Brian Bilek ‏@ChiSoxraBBit 6m6 minutes ago

Everyone freaking out about the #WhiteSox supposedly not willing to go more than three years should take a step back.

Brian Bilek ‏@ChiSoxraBBit 5m5 minutes ago

The #WhiteSox are never straightforward with anything financial in the media. They never have been and they shouldn't be. Discretion is key.

Brian Bilek ‏@ChiSoxraBBit 4m4 minutes ago

Why would KC give Gordon four years with a 5th year option if the #WhiteSox were only offering three years? They wouldn't.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 07:43 PM)

Dexter Fowler was essentially responsible for 20 runs scored in 2014 and around 13 last year. As opposed to Jason Heyward who was +24(saved). Cespedes was also better than Alex Gordon in that department. Alex Gordon dropped off pretty significantly.

I never understood the Sox paying a premium for LF defense with Gordon given the smaller dimensions at the Cell compared to KC

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 12:43 PM)

Hard to draw any conclusions when he was injured for six plus weeks on a counting stat...

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
I never understood the Sox paying a premium for LF defense with Gordon given the smaller dimensions at the Cell compared to KC

Otoh, we paid a premium for offensive potential in Cabrera and didn't get any there, either.

But yeah, it's the same reason guys like Heyward and Parra would make less sense...unless we were playing in Old Comiskey.

A lot of the value for Cespedes and Gordon is related to their arms and preventing extra bases from being taken...and that's still relevant, as we saw with Viciedo in 2012 as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 07:31 PM)
Otoh, we paid a premium for offensive potential in Cabrera and didn't get any there, either.

Gordon would have received the biggest contract in Sox history. Melky's deal is hardly a "premium", despite how much you want to try and spin the Gordon deal from KC's side.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)
Brian Bilek ‏@ChiSoxraBBit 6m6 minutes ago

Everyone freaking out about the #WhiteSox supposedly not willing to go more than three years should take a step back.

Brian Bilek ‏@ChiSoxraBBit 5m5 minutes ago

The #WhiteSox are never straightforward with anything financial in the media. They never have been and they shouldn't be. Discretion is key.

Why would KC give Gordon four years with a 5th year option if the #WhiteSox were only offering three years? They wouldn't.

This is promising news.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)

But yeah, it's the same reason guys like Heyward and Parra would make less sense...unless we were playing in Old Comiskey.

A lot of the value for Cespedes and Gordon is related to their arms and preventing extra bases from being taken...and that's still relevant, as we saw with Viciedo in 2012 as well.

Melky has a really good arm. Had 8 assists last year and 13 the year before that. It's one reason the Royals offered him 4 years before last season to play RF for them.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
This is promising news.

It's not really news. He just has the same ideas a lot of people on here think as well. It's true that they never are straight forward to the media out about anything really. I could have tweeted that myself.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
Jackson definitely is the best buy low guy right now...as Parra, Span and Fowler go up in price incrementally from Jackson's expected $7.5-9 million range.

Yeah I'm not opposed at all to Austin Jackson but if we're possibly in on the other guys, then might as well wait on them first.

Um, because it was a mutual option that seems like it only will be plausible in a very specific circumstance What are the odds the team thinks he's worth an extra $19 million that season and his side is content with a 1 year, $23 million deal? That probably means it gives each side a tiny bit of leverage to hold onto him and negotiate an extension if he decides to finish a career there and if the Royals can afford his last couple years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
Um, because it was a mutual option that seems like it only will be plausible in a very specific circumstance What are the odds the team thinks he's worth an extra $19 million that season and his side is content with a 1 year, $23 million deal? That probably means it gives each side a tiny bit of leverage to hold onto him and negotiate an extension if he decides to finish a career there and if the Royals can afford his last couple years.

I think he was moreso referring to the 4th year.