Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
Um, because it was a mutual option that seems like it only will be plausible in a very specific circumstance What are the odds the team thinks he's worth an extra $19 million that season and his side is content with a 1 year, $23 million deal? That probably means it gives each side a tiny bit of leverage to hold onto him and negotiate an extension if he decides to finish a career there and if the Royals can afford his last couple years.

The mutual option was BS. It means nothing. It's there for the buyout because the buyout becomes a trade kicker if he gets traded. As I stated before, every free agent technically is on a "mutual option" if you think about it.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
It's not really news. He just has the same ideas a lot of people on here think as well. It's true that they never are straight forward to the media out about anything really. I could have tweeted that myself.

Reading the posts, it seems like a good thing to point out as a lot of people are sure taking things at absolute face value instead of reading into it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 08:09 PM)
So there's also no reason NOT to believe the White Sox didn't offer four years and $80 million to Gordon on Monday, December 27th.

We have the national writers saying three years was the max tendered and our inside sources saying four.

I've not seen this from a single person

Except if Mark Buehrle or Paul Konerko had a very solid season at age 35 and the Whie Sox let them go when they had an option to keep them (basically a loyalty rewards send off)...it wouldn't sit very well with the fanbase to see an entire career with one organization end his career with another team (in the case of a Buerhle or Gordon).

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
I've not seen this from a single person

Isn't that what Rabbit keeps intimating? Or was that Bucket? Hard to keep track.

This supposed offer on Monday was only for three years? That seems crazy to be so far off...knowing you're going to have to pay a premium to dislodge him from the only team he's ever played for.

If Hahn is this great negotiator, he would have to have known it would mean paying 10-15% more than KC.

Or the Royals' package three days later (and direct communication from Moore to Gordon and not through Close) came as a complete shock.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
That part seems obvious, they'd give him the 4th year because the White Sox were offering 3 years and they upped their deal to beat that?

No. If the Sox were offering 3 years, I'm pretty sure the Royals would have re-signed him to a 3 year deal with a 4th year option. We weren't getting him for the same price as Kansas City.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
Except if Mark Buehrle or Paul Konerko had a very solid season at age 35 and the Whie Sox let them go when they had an option to keep them (basically a loyalty rewards send off)...it wouldn't sit very well with the fanbase to see an entire career with one organization end his career with another team (in the case of a Buerhle or Gordon).

There is nothing for stopping them from mutually agreeing to a contract of any amount of any length in 4 years. This thing is just for show. And I'm sure White Sox fans would understand if Konerko didn't get an additional $19 million for a victory lap. They gave him $2 million with $1 million deferred and people still were mad.

I'm sure Hahn would be up for a 3 year $55 million contract for Cespedes with a $40 million mutual options in years 4 and 5, and I doubt you would call that 5 years $135 million.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 09:17 PM)
Nothing in that article really states the White Sox are cooling on the players, but instead are seeing if their prices fall further. There is a big difference between those two things.

There was nothing new in that article. Just a writer putting together his opinion based on all the tweets/articles that came out yesterday.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
Sox are 'cooling' on Cespedes and Upton.

All that article is... A summary of the past two weeks found in this thread. Just stripping out the credible sources and leaving behind:

Poop

Blah

Dogs who are acting as a source

Obscure song references

Little 12 year old reports typing between pimple pop breaks

Other vulgar displays of lunacy

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)
There is nothing for stopping them from mutually agreeing to a contract of any amount of any length in 4 years. This thing is just for show. And I'm sure White Sox fans would understand if Konerko didn't get an additional $19 million for a victory lap. They gave him $2 million with $1 million deferred and people still were mad.

What were Konerko's age 35 numbers, or Zobrist's?

Konerko was obviously toast the end of that previous year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
There was nothing new in that article. Just a writer putting together his opinion based on all the tweets/articles that came out yesterday.

Or you could put it this way. Geez - no fun caption poopie pants. Well, that's my son... So, yea.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)
Isn't that what Rabbit keeps intimating? Or was that Bucket? Hard to keep track.

This supposed offer on Monday was only for three years? That seems crazy to be so far off...knowing you're going to have to pay a premium to dislodge him from the only team he's ever played for.

If Hahn is this great negotiator, he would have to have known it would mean paying 10-15% more than KC.

Or the Royals' package three days later (and direct communication from Moore to Gordon and not through Close) came as a complete shock.

The Royals lowballed him until New Year's Eve.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
What were Konerko's age 35 numbers, or Zobrist's?

Konerko was obviously toast the end of that previous year.

You can look them up, it was 2011 when the Sox were all in. Konerko and AJ were supposed to be goners but they came back, and Paulie has never made anywhere near the $19 million Gordon would receive on top of the $4 million deferral or buyout.

Mutual options are pretty irrelevant. Especially considering they are 4 years in the future.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
You can look them up, it was 2011 when the Sox were all in. Konerko and AJ were supposed to be goners but they came back, and Paulie has never made anywhere near the $19 million Gordon would receive on top of the $4 million deferral or buyout.

Mutual options are pretty irrelevant. Especially considering they are 4 years in the future.

$13.5 million in 2013 (Konerko) vs. $19 million in 2020...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
From Nightengale:

The #WhiteSox haven't changed stance, still won't give more than 3 years to any of the free-agent OFs, @Marty2634

That's an absolute joke. Stop trying to get Cespedes then and go straight for Fowler or someone else who is a marginal upgrade.