Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 07:18 PM)
If you're Cespedes, and you're getting the same offer from the White Sox and Nationals...where would you go?

You can play in the nation's capital with one of the two true superstars in the game on what everyone considers a playoff contender versus a White Sox team that's somewhere between 3rd (optimistic) and last (pessimistic) right now out of a 5 team division. You're also even more confident in the NL East than the AL, where you now have a proven track record and just put up near MVP numbers. You've also got two "dead in water" franchises in the Braves and Phillies to pick apart offensively.

The White Sox would probably have to overpay by at least 5% to get it done, if not 10%.

Same thing with returning to the Tigers...unless the draw of being paired with Abreu is truly that enticing.

Cmon man this is pure toilet dick.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 09:05 PM)
If they're not going more than 3 years then they're not getting Cespedes. I believe Nightengale's report and while some fans may be po'd at the Sox stance, I get it. Cespedes is good but he's not Bryce Harper. At this point it might be worth Colorado and seeing what it will take to get CarGo.

Colorado is rumored to have asked for Q. If true, the Sox did the right thing.

Is this market actually quite different or is it just because we have skin in the game?

Usually it feels like this time of year will just be your bonifacios and utility players, with 3-4 tier two signings left.

But this year it seems like half the FA class is still unsigned with very little interest.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 11:30 PM)
Denard Span got the 3/$31M & a 4th year mutual option for $12M w/ a $4M buyout.

It's pretty obvious that they won't get Cespedes/Upton on a 3 year deal.

Maybe Cespedes is stuck on 5-6 years and Sox are trying to get him to 4 years. It's all a guessing game at this point IMO since the sox are so tight lipped.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 10:39 PM)
Maybe Cespedes is stuck on 5-6 years and Sox are trying to get him to 4 years. It's all a guessing game at this point IMO since the sox are so tight lipped.

This is what I'm thinking, despite the media PR stuff. Cespedes is known to want 6 and despite what the media says I believe the Sox are willing to go 4. I'm guessing if the Sox are to sign Cespedes that the two sides meet in the middle with 4 years + a 5th muatual option or a 5th year vesting option. Just guessing.

While I have been skeptical of the Sox being able to sign Cespedes I have to say the Sox chances are decent since there's less than a handful teams after him and big money teams like Boston, NYY and Dodgers have been out of it from the get go.

Maybe Sox fans should be glad the Yanks haven't been able to deal Gardner, yet.