Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
FWIW, the draft pick might actually be something the Sox could want to give up in a signing like this, as it would actually save them a couple of million dollars, during the draft process.

That's an interesting thought.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)
The best part about the report, if true, is that they're willing to go 4 years

Of course it is. The 3 year was media released negotiations with these two. I have no doubt it was true for gordon. RH has number and he is sticking to it. Agent want 5-6 RH wants 3, they meet in the middle.

The more that I've thought about it, the more convinced I have become. The player we acquire should be playing for another contract. I don't want to sign a guy to his last contract, and run the risk that he becomes significantly less motivated.

So I don't care. Get a guy who will be a free agent in a couple years, or sign a longer deal, but with an opt out for the player.

Whatever it takes to avoid having a guy on "easy street," with no more big pay days. For all we know, that is what motivated both Frazier and Cespedes to have career years, last season. I want that incentive to remain a part of their mental approach to their games.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)
The best part about the report, if true, is that they're willing to go 4 years

I think they've always been willing to go four years. They are just creating leverage for themselves. Offer three, pretend to stick to it, then "cave" and get a deal done.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)
And they have no reason to sign until Chris Davis does

Correct. His deal seems to be the only l8ng term offer out there. This could drag out until ST with the agents playing chicken with the GMs who seem to be holding there ground. The only thing that could change is if one FA decides this is the best they will get and sign ie, Davis.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 09:18 PM)
Correct. His deal seems to be the only l8ng term offer out there. This could drag out until ST with the agents playing chicken with the GMs who seem to be holding there ground. The only thing that could change is if one FA decides this is the best they will get and sign ie, Davis.

I don't think it will last that long, as the Orioles are going to have to eventually get one of the guys.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)
I don't think it will last that long, as the Orioles are going to have to eventually get one of the guys.

Only if Davis decides the 7 year deal is the best one. I don't think the orioles are going to raise it much, Boras is not going to get them to bid against themselves this time.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)
And they have no reason to sign until Chris Davis does

Someone is going to get left standing. With the market having 3 big time bats (Davis, Upton, Cespedes) on it, but only a couple of teams still having some cash and openings, you really don't want to be the last guy left standing.

There is a big incentive to sign first, and maybe second. Signing 3rd is bad.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 03:31 PM)
Someone is going to get left standing. With the market having 3 big time bats (Davis, Upton, Cespedes) on it, but only a couple of teams still having some cash and openings, you really don't want to be the last guy left standing.

And things will get much worse if the Rockies sign Parra and trade another OF. That adds another bat to the market, but no more teams.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)

This is my biggest worry with the Sox. I'm worried either Cespedes or Upton will sign with a team & then the pressure will be heavily on them. Obviously Chris Davis isn't an option for the Sox, which makes one of the other two signing a bigger deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 09:32 PM)
And things will get much worse if the Rockies sign Parra and trade another OF. That adds another bat to the market, but no more teams.

Not if it's a simple Parra to Rockies, Cargo to Cardinals. That would actually be bad for the Sox, as Parra is more likely a possibility for Nats/Angels