Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
The consensus here seems to be that the front office would not be willing to go there. So, if you're correct, where does that leave the Sox?

Saying they were serious bidders as we go to RF with someone else.

Alex Gordons contract helped to reset the market in a way. He arguably took a hometown discount, and still got a 4 year deal with a possibility for a 5th year. There's definitely room for the Sox and Cespedes agent to meet in the middle, but it has to be on a 5 year deal, in my opinion. Cespedes is arguably more valuable then Gordon, and he should be compensated as such. There is no chance in hell he signs a 3 year deal.

The only question is... which side is less willing to meet in the middle? If it's the Sox who won't move off of 3 years, then they aren't seriously pursuing Cespedes. If Cespedes won't move off of a 6 year deal, then the Sox have to keep waiting for them to budge off of it. If neither side is budging...more waiting.

I find it very hard to believe that the Sox are still willing to only go 3 years after the contract Gordon just received. I believe the Sox brass is smarter then that, so this leads me to believe that Cespedes still isn't budging off of a 6 year deal.

It almost seems like Cespedes has no other choices but to sign with the White Sox...eventually... which continues to make this a most interesting situation. There don't appear to be other serious suitors, but the longer this goes on, the longer a team like Detroit maybe sees the value in offering him a 5 or 6 year deal to not only add to their team, but keep him off of the Sox. Cespedes is probably waiting for the wildcard himself, Mike Ilitch, to decide to sign Cespedes. Hopefully the luxury tax is imposing enough to keep them away from a long term deal. If Detroit finally decides to go in another direction with their OF, then you will probably see Cespedes camp finally be willing to meet the Sox somewhere in the middle.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)
Adam Eaton approves of Cespedes.

Jake Spiwak

‏@BeatsByDrSpi

@AdamSpankyEaton @whitesox Maybe add Cespedes to the #SoxFest list too? ?

Adam Eaton ‏@AdamSpankyEaton 8m8 minutes ago

Adam Eaton Retweeted Jake Spiwak

I would be down for that..

Has he ever predicted moves in the past? I thought he did for someone before...

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 05:08 PM)
Has he ever predicted moves in the past? I thought he did for someone before...

He complained to Dan Hayes during the Winter Meetings that Hayes had been repeating himself about the lack of White Sox news. A few hours later the Lawrie trade news broke.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)
Adam Eaton approves of Cespedes.

Jake Spiwak

‏@BeatsByDrSpi

@AdamSpankyEaton @whitesox Maybe add Cespedes to the #SoxFest list too? ?

Adam Eaton ‏@AdamSpankyEaton 8m8 minutes ago

Adam Eaton Retweeted Jake Spiwak

I would be down for that..

I have to say, that has to be awkward if you are Garcia to see your teammate actively speak of replacing you.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 05:19 PM)
I have to say, that has to be awkward if you are Garcia to see your teammate actively speak of replacing you.

He wasn't loved in the Detroit locker room, maybe he doesn't have fans in the White Sox locker room if they really don't care about upsetting him with comments like that.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 06:04 PM)
You guys probably are reading too far into it. Sox think highly of Avi from what I've heard. Hard worker, good attitude but not good at baseball.

When he turned a season ending injury into something he got back from with a month to play in the season, that told me what I wanted to know about his work ethic.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 07:04 PM)
You guys probably are reading too far into it. Sox think highly of Avi from what I've heard. Hard worker, good attitude but not good at baseball.

I wonder who in the White Sox front office said we don't want that Iglesias from Boston but we do want Avi. I wonder if they are still making scouting decisions.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 05:05 PM)
I never heard this. What I heard happened was Hahn wanted Middlebrooks and KW wanted Avi. Both players aren't good. Luckily they did well with Montas/Wendelken.

Are coaching staffs expected to make every player a star?

Hah, this is a problem :)

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 07:05 PM)
I never heard this. What I heard happened was Hahn wanted Middlebrooks and KW wanted Avi. Both players aren't good. Luckily they did well with Montas/Wendelken.

Are coaching staffs expected to make every player a star?

Not expecting a star but can't even get them to be average player is an issue. So yes they can do something with pitching but can't fully get position players to be good

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 07:12 PM)
Considering we got Frazier and Lawrie for Montas and Wendelken, amongst others, it all balances out. That's good scouting.

Still it took 5 players to get those 2. Sox can't afford to keep trading out players to fill position needs.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 07:20 PM)
Still it took 5 players to get those 2. Sox can't afford to keep trading out players to fill position needs.

Yes, but when we did sell, it helped us make 2 trades this year that signals that we want to go to the playoffs and win a championship.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 07:23 PM)
Yes, but when we did sell, it helped us make 2 trades this year that signals that we want to go to the playoffs and win a championship.

Now the Sox have to go that little bit further and get us that big bat, which can hopefully make it happen in 2016. Just getting back to the Cespedes topic.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 07:32 PM)
Now the Sox have to go that little bit further and get us that big bat, which can hopefully make it happen in 2016. Just getting back to the Cespedes topic.

I completely agree, and like most said on this board, the acquisitions of Frazier and Lawrie mean nothing without another big bat in the OF.

Perhaps a better way to describe this circumstance is that the Sox need a big bat, who happens to be a decent outfielder, because the outfield is the place where the Sox have room for an addition. Ideally, he should be able to play right field, because the other two outfielders who are on the roster are not qualified to play that position.

That is why guys like Fowler and Parra are not good choices. They are not middle of the order, big run producers. Therefore, any suggestion of spending significant money, or sacrificing a draft pick, for such players simply does not make any sense.

Edited by Lillian