Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 09:57 PM)
So, in other words, we have a 2500+ post thread here and Cespedes will be signing elsewhere.

Great. I f***ing hate the Sox sometimes.

The team that signs Cespedes to a huge deal is going to really hate it in 2018-2019.

The one thing I can't get over is that none of these guys are good fits, as the Sox need a right fielder and none of them fit the mold. It's a lot of money to spend for someone that won't improve your defense very much due to shuffling.

Also, shouldn't you be concerned about Hahn and company potentially giving out the biggest contract in team history after the disaster that last year's FA spending was for them?

Edited by fathom

The current Sox outfield is a bit of a mess, and doesn't inspire much confidence in this front office. None of our current outfielders are home grown products.

They were all acquired, over the last 3 years, through trades or free agency. One would think that they would have been able to put together a decent outfield.

However, here are the facts:

1) Defensively, the Sox arguably have 3 left fielders. None of them is a viable candidate for RF, and only one is a credible center fielder, just barely.

2) Not one of them is likely to hit even 20 homers

3) Not one of them is likely to steal more than 20 bases.

I like Eaton, and Melky is an OK player. It's too soon to pass judgement on Avi. What grade would you give the front office on the construction of this team's outfield?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 09:07 PM)
The current Sox outfield is a bit of a mess, and doesn't inspire much confidence in this front office. None of our current outfielders are home grown products.

They were all acquired, over the last 3 years, through trades or free agency. One would think that they would have been able to put together a decent outfield.

However, here are the facts:

1) Defensively, the Sox arguably have 3 left fielders. None of them is a viable candidate for RF, and only one is a credible center fielder, just barely.

2) Not one of them is likely to hit even 20 homers

3) Not one of them is likely to steal more than 20 bases.

I like Eaton, and Melky is an OK player. It's too soon to pass judgement on Avi. What grade would you give the front office on the construction of this team's outfield?

Davidson and Avi being horrible busts has really hurt

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
I'm personally more worried about Melky falling off a cliff than Avi not improving at all.

I don't understand that concern, personally.

He is what he is defensively but after a brutally slow start with the bat, he still finished up with a .273 BA & OBP over .300.

His power might not be there anymore but there's no denying that the second half of his season was very nice.

I think I am going to give up Twitter and rely on Soxtalk for any more news on this. Whenever I search on "Cespedes" half of what I see is the daily collective Twitter tantrum by Mets fans who can't take "no" for an answer and selfies of latina girls named "Cespedes" looking for dates, whom I also assume can't take "no" for an answer. Both need to grow up and think I probably need to find a better use of my time.

SFF

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
Davidson and Avi being horrible busts has really hurt

I agree. However, wasn't Davidson really acquired to fill the hole at 3RD? If he had developed as hoped, it might have eliminated the need to trade for Frazier, but I don't think it would have changed the outfield picture much.

However, to your point, Davidson is another example of a poor choice in position players. This organization is currently just not very good at identifying position players. Thank goodness for Abreu.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 10:19 PM)
I agree. However, wasn't Davidson really acquired to fill the hole at 3RD? If he had developed as hoped, it might have eliminated the need to trade for Frazier, but I don't think it would have changed the outfield picture much.

However, to your point, Davidson is another example of a poor choice in position players. This organization is currently just not very good at identifying position players. Thank goodness for Abreu.

If Davidson was decent, they wouldn't have needed to trade for Frazier and would have more resources left to upgrade at OF.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)
And it's not just that the tools aren't above average, they're mostly grading out as awful

This exactly. I'm tired of the "only one full season" line. Fine, but he hasn't shown anything. We have no reason to believe he'll ever be a good baseball player, other than he was about an 80th-ranked prospect at one point. And those guys wash out. All. The. Time.

He needs to show that he is good at something, because so far he hasn't shown anything. Nothing. Less than nothing. I hope if I were given 600 plate appearances last year and performed as you might expect I would, nobody here would be like, "Yeah, but he hasn't really been given much of a chance..."

If Avi has a role next year it will be a very bad thing.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)
Sometimes a player wears out his welcome with an organization. Not saying that is the caee, but I think you are overreacting to their lack of interest.

The same Red flag would appear w Cespedes. Boston quickly moved him and he had some problems w a a coach in his brief stay. Could also be a red flag but just might have been a poor marriage.

AJ had history but he certainly was well respected w the White Sox.

There are very few that could even tolerate AJ, except Hawk of course.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 04:17 PM)
And it's not just that the tools aren't above average, they're mostly grading out as awful

Yeah, the thing that makes me feel least confident in him is how many different things have to improve. Basically no part of his game graded out as even approaching average last year, with his overall hitting probably being the closest (but not all that close). His defense looks so bad that he almost certainly has to fall back on his bat to provide value, but a close look at his hitting just reveals so many problems. Not enough walks, too many strikeouts, chases way too many balls out of the zone, his measures of power are all piss-poor. It would be genuinely surprising to see him even put up a 1.0 WAR season, IMO.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
Yeah, the thing that makes me feel least confident in him is how many different things have to improve. Basically no part of his game graded out as even approaching average last year, with his overall hitting probably being the closest (but not all that close). His defense looks so bad that he almost certainly has to fall back on his bat to provide value, but a close look at his hitting just reveals so many problems. Not enough walks, too many strikeouts, chases way too many balls out of the zone, his measures of power are all piss-poor. It would be genuinely surprising to see him even put up a 1.0 WAR season, IMO.

So who in the FO takes the blame on saying yes let's get this guy? RH?

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 03:59 PM)
So who in the FO takes the blame on saying yes let's get this guy? RH?

The FO made the trade so blame it on the the FO. What differnce is it if it was RH, KW or JR. This was the consensus trade. None of them work by themselves.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 04:03 PM)
The FO made the trade so blame it on the the FO. What differnce is it if it was RH, KW or JR. This was the consensus trade. None of them work by themselves.

Sorry for asking. Just wondering if any one individual in the FO thought he was a can't miss player. I remember reading and hearing how he was the mini Miggy.

Edited by Saufley

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 03:27 PM)
This exactly. I'm tired of the "only one full season" line. Fine, but he hasn't shown anything. We have no reason to believe he'll ever be a good baseball player, other than he was about an 80th-ranked prospect at one point. And those guys wash out. All. The. Time.

He needs to show that he is good at something, because so far he hasn't shown anything. Nothing. Less than nothing. I hope if I were given 600 plate appearances last year and performed as you might expect I would, nobody here would be like, "Yeah, but he hasn't really been given much of a chance..."

If Avi has a role next year it will be a very bad thing.

So he time Anderson performs the same in one full season are you going to give him another chance or ready to dump him.