Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 06:04 PM)
Sure but if they stick to 3 year limit then Orioles have an advantage

I have absolutely know idea why they would stick to 3 years with him . That would be his age 30, 31 and 32 seasons. It's not unreasonable to go 4 or even 5 years for him which would bring him through age 34.

If the Sox thought they could get production from Adam LaRoche's age 35 and 36 seasons why wouldn't they pay for a much more athletic guy like Cespedes age 33 and 34 seasons ? I just don't get what the FO is doing. They have to go at least 4 years to be taken seriously . Cespedes will not want to re-enter free agency after his age 32 season.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 08:03 PM)
Didnt the Sox have some money they were trying to offer shark. Is that money still floating around or did they spend it on something we don't know about.

They supposedly had it for Shark, something like $90-100 million.

They bid at least $120-125 million on Tanaka.

Technically, Upton fits the mold of being closer to his prime age-wise than Cespedes, but it's a clear case of need and fit coming together if ever there was...

That's not overpaying him at the originally expected 6 years and $150 million, it's the 4-5 years (depending on opt-outs/buy-outs/options) and $75-105 million range where the benefits start to outweigh the costs.

Basically, the same contract demands of Alex Gordon originally, but for a player who was 100% healthy last year and put up MVP numbers.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 08:03 PM)
Didnt the Sox have some money they were trying to offer shark. Is that money still floating around or did they spend it on something we don't know about.

Wasn't that before they acquired Frazier and Lawrie? They went from a middle infield making league minimum to those two. For all we know, that money could have been what allowed Hahn to get both of them.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 08:17 PM)
I have absolutely know idea why they would stick to 3 years with him . That would be his age 30, 31 and 32 seasons. It's not unreasonable to go 4 or even 5 years for him which would bring him through age 34.

If the Sox thought they could get production from Adam LaRoche's age 35 and 36 seasons why wouldn't they pay for a much more athletic guy like Cespedes age 33 and 34 seasons ? I just don't get what the FO is doing. They have to go at least 4 years to be taken seriously . Cespedes will not want to re-enter free agency after his age 32 season.

If that's the ultimate lesson of Adam Dunn, Adam LaRoche and John Danks, great.

Then develop one of the top 5-10 farm systems in the game (that consistently produces 2-3 contributors per season) and spend that money in Latin America/international free agents under 30.

Being timid now after being so aggressive going after Lawrie and Frazier doesn't make any sense.

The White Sox, Padres and Red Sox weren't wrong about spending last year. They simply picked the wrong players.

This whole thing is like the White Sox are promoting the idea of Natalie Portman in Closer or Jessica Alba in Sin City and then we dutifully buy our tickets and Bartolo Colon comes out in a thong instead.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 08:20 PM)
Wasn't that before they acquired Frazier and Lawrie? They went from a middle infield making league minimum to those two. For all we know, that money could have been what allowed Hahn to get both of them.

That was in the early months of last season and the off season heading into 2015.

There's really not a huge amount of difference between Frazier/Lawrie in 2016 and Samardzija last year, something like $5-6 million, or about the same as Bonifacio/Beckham.

The real issue here has to be cash flow THIS SEASON, because next year LaRoche and Danks will both be off the books.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)
Fowler not that good might be NL player.

Fowler is a 2 WAR a year player that gets on base at a high clip. Defense is below average but still a huge upgrade over Avi.

He played with the Astros & hit .276/.375, 8 HRs & 11 SBs. He would be fine in the AL.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 08:39 PM)
Fowler is a 2 WAR a year player that gets on base at a high clip. Defense is below average but still a huge upgrade over Avi.

He played with the Astros & hit .276/.375, 8 HRs & 11 SBs. He would be fine in the AL.

Im not happy giving up draft pick to the cubs.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 08:34 PM)
That was in the early months of last season and the off season heading into 2015.

There's really not a huge amount of difference between Frazier/Lawrie in 2016 and Samardzija last year, something like $5-6 million, or about the same as Bonifacio/Beckham.

The real issue here has to be cash flow THIS SEASON, because next year LaRoche and Danks will both be off the books.

Ah, didn't realize you were referring to last year. I was wondering if I missed when the Sox tried to get Shark back, haha. I'm with you - I don't understand not making a splash in FA when there is a large sum coming off the books next year + a weak FA class in 2017.

Unless the Sox are thinking about blowing it up next offseason if they fail yet again, because the high price tags might be realistic at that point...

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 02:41 AM)
Ah, didn't realize you were referring to last year. I was wondering if I missed when the Sox tried to get Shark back, haha. I'm with you - I don't understand not making a splash in FA when there is a large sum coming off the books next year + a weak FA class in 2017.

Unless the Sox are thinking about blowing it up next offseason if they fail yet again, because the high price tags might be realistic at that point...

I'm sure the disasterous 2015 season hurt their 2016 budget

Who the heck are we actually competing with for Fowler?

The Cubs? Cardinals? Orioles? Angels?

Would the Orioles really give up a draft pick for him? Does he really make enough of a difference to make the Angels a sure-fire pennant contender from their current status?

Every columnist coming out and suggesting Garcia as a rebound candidate didn't have the benefit or misfortune to suffer through the last 4 months of the season watching him flailing away helplessly.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 06:39 PM)
I can believe Baltimore is offering 5 years but I think Crasnick is way off on the dollar amount. That proposed offer is in the range of what Gordon got and Cespedes should get more than that. Unless the offer is for 3/4 years 75-90M range, that would make more sense. Crasnick's numbers don't jive that's for sure.

I could see the offer being a front loaded 3/75 guaranteed with a 4th yr option to bump it to 90.