Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

We will be devastated if Fulmer and Adams both flop and Montas becomes a star...but what are the odds of that happening, all three together?

It will nevertheless be more disappointing in the next two FA signing periods if we do have to buy starting pitching at the going rates because we don't have sufficient quality depth left to trade from.

The Detroit Tigers and Chicago White Sox are among the teams considering Cespedes, Heyman notes. In a separate tweet, Heyman calls the Tigers an "interesting" candidate and reveals that they seriously considered Davis before he re-signed with Baltimore. Meanwhile, the Houston Astros could also be in the mix for Cespedes, Peter Gammons of GammonsDaily.com reports.

http://espn.go.com/blog/mlb/rumors/post/_/...l-cespedes-sign

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
We will be devastated if Fulmer and Adams both flop and Montas becomes a star...but what are the odds of that happening, all three together?

It will nevertheless be more disappointing in the next two FA signing periods if we do have to buy starting pitching at the going rates because we don't have sufficient quality depth left to trade from.

Watch out for the alien hiding behind the bush on your way out the front door today!

As much as I'd like to see them sign someone and "go for it" I can understand if they don't.

I think in their 'heart of hearts' the Sox realize you are still looking at 2017. Still far to many holes and question marks to realistically think they are going to 'contend' in 2016 in my opinion.

Back end of the rotation is 'iffy', bullpen could be weaker if they don't resign Albers, shortstop is a question mark, DH is a black hole and then you have Garcia in right.

A lot would have to go right even if they signed another big stick in that division.

Like I said, I hope they do but it won't surprise me if / when they don't.

Mark

Mark, my question to you is; Why would the Sox be any better in 2017? Who will they have then, that they don't have now?

I guess a mature Rodon and a rookie Fulmer, but who else? I doubt Anderson will be that big of a difference maker in 2017, and

maybe even a defensive liability at SS.

I assume that you are thinking about La Roche and Danks being off the books. However, whom are they going to acquire with that money, in the poor Free Agent market, next year?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
As much as I'd like to see them sign someone and "go for it" I can understand if they don't.

I think in their 'heart of hearts' the Sox realize you are still looking at 2017. Still far to many holes and question marks to realistically think they are going to 'contend' in 2016 in my opinion.

Back end of the rotation is 'iffy', bullpen could be weaker if they don't resign Albers, shortstop is a question mark, DH is a black hole and then you have Garcia in right.

A lot would have to go right even if they signed another big stick in that division.

Like I said, I hope they do but it won't surprise me if / when they don't.

Mark

Thanks, Mark! You have just answered the question I was going to ask.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)
Were you devastated when they traded Montas? I remember when I said they should trade him for the right return you said he was going to be the right-handed Chris Sale.

Let's not put words in my mouth. I said I liked him as a future starter instead of a reliever like you and his repertoire was like Chris Sale's meaning his high 90's heat and a devastating slider. All he needed to get down was control of his change up and that was Sales 3rd pitch also.

I'm too old to be devastated when the Sox make a trade. I like to see the upside to prospects rather than their downside . I don't think that's a crime. I hope he has success on the ML level whether as a starter or reliever.

Just because I champion a prospects upside doesn't mean I fall in love with them .And I think it's rather childish to ask if I was devastated . If you're going to say I said something please try to use exactly what I posted rather than innuendo intended to make me appear unknowledgeable .

Also the post was about the Sox not trading a top prospect and I pretty sure most would agree anyone in the top 3 and even the top 5 are top prospects. Was Montas not a top prospect in your view ? Aren't you also a writer for Future Sox who contributed to mid season rankings of prospects ?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
Just watched the Cespedes segment on MLB Network. No new information, but they all said that the Sox are a good fit. We were also the first team they mentioned.

It makes a ton of sense and it's been mentioned by all the top reporters. When Rosenthal said he expected us to land Gordon or Cespedes it was good enough for me. Still a waiting game. Though I wonder if Detroit is being used against the Sox.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 06:38 PM)
Mark, my question to you is; Why would the Sox be any better in 2017? Who will they have then, that they don't have now?

I guess a mature Rodon and a rookie Fulmer, but who else? I doubt Anderson will be that big of a difference maker in 2017, and

maybe even a defensive liability at SS.

I assume that you are thinking about La Roche and Danks being off the books. However, whom are they going to acquire with that money, in the poor Free Agent market, next year?

if i had to make a guess, i would say money..... the main part would be salary coming off the books like danks and laroche.

second, money for fa's. i would assume the org would be hoping the prospects will be ready to step in.

MLB Network had a Cespedes segment on just now.

Not sure who the older guy is but he seems to think The Sox are his best fit. Carlos Pena agreed as well. Seems like more speculation than anything but interesting that they keep riding the Sox on this.

Also said, multiple teams have questions about sign Cespedes to a long-term deal.

Edited by SoCalSox

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
Someone actually created this account on Twitter lol

image.jpg1_zpsmx33ul57.jpg

People got the hashtag #cesPAYdes trending on twitter. Fans have been calling and tweeting the White Sox all day telling them to sign him. It's pretty funny actually.

Funny read from an Astros writer POV. He makes some good points that won't be popular with folks that want the Sox to sign Cespedes.

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2016/1/18/107...igning-cespedes

"Second, Cespedes isn't a great hitter.

I'll pause while the over-reactors pontificate.

Done yet?

He's not a great hitter. He's a good hitter coming off of a magnificent walk year. And the most important thing to know is: never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less important is this: never overpay for a free agent after an awesome walk year that could be classified as an outlier."

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
Funny read from an Astros writer POV. He makes some good points that won't be popular with folks that want the Sox to sign Cespedes.

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2016/1/18/107...igning-cespedes

"Second, Cespedes isn't a great hitter.

I'll pause while the over-reactors pontificate.

Done yet?

He's not a great hitter. He's a good hitter coming off of a magnificent walk year. And the most important thing to know is: never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less important is this: never overpay for a free agent after an awesome walk year that could be classified as an outlier."

In this day and age where we dont see as many power hitting sluggers across the league I would have to ask him why he wouldnt put Cespedes in the category of the great hitters. I guess it all depends on what this guy considers "great" but look around, you dont see guys putting up huge offensive numbers anymore. If it werent for the popularity of sabermetrics that we have now there would be a lot of small boring numbers for fans to argue about. Cespedes is in the bottom part of the top tier offensive guys in the league in my opinion.