Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
Funny read from an Astros writer POV. He makes some good points that won't be popular with folks that want the Sox to sign Cespedes.

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2016/1/18/107...igning-cespedes

"Second, Cespedes isn't a great hitter.

I'll pause while the over-reactors pontificate.

Done yet?

He's not a great hitter. He's a good hitter coming off of a magnificent walk year. And the most important thing to know is: never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less important is this: never overpay for a free agent after an awesome walk year that could be classified as an outlier."

I agree. And apparently Rick does too. Don't overpay for Cespedes. I'd like to see them go above the reported 3 years $55M, up to maybe $75M. But going 5 or 6 and nearing $150M would be a mistake. I continue to think Rick has played this out the right way.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 04:58 PM)
Funny read from an Astros writer POV. He makes some good points that won't be popular with folks that want the Sox to sign Cespedes.

Done yet?

He's not a great hitter. He's a good hitter coming off of a magnificent walk year. And the most important thing to know is: never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less important is this: never overpay for a free agent after an awesome walk year that could be classified as an outlier."

This is exactly what I've been saying since september

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)
In this day and age where we dont see as many power hitting sluggers across the league I would have to ask him why he wouldnt put Cespedes in the category of the great hitters. I guess it all depends on what this guy considers "great" but look around, you dont see guys putting up huge offensive numbers anymore. If it werent for the popularity of sabermetrics that we have now there would be a lot of small boring numbers for fans to argue about. Cespedes is in the bottom part of the top tier offensive guys in the league in my opinion.

47th in wRC+ (121) since he came into the league. That's not good enough to be considered "great".

Edited by OmarComing25

Done yet?

he's basically right, but what's the alternative?

Give the few remaining prospects for Cargo, whose game is full of holes itself? And while Cespedes had a career year, at least the trend is upward.

Given that they traded 3 solid (if not better) prospects for 2 years of Frazier, they've got to follow this up some way. (Now if it's Cargo, I'd hope they don't follow it up and just take the losses with Frazier).

And note that the Sox would be better in the pen and in the OF had they not made the Frazier trade, so they've go to firm some stuff up.

But they have to do something. Perhaps they could make a small trade for an upgrade; maybe Austin Jackson.

But to do what they did for Frazier and not follow it up is the same practice that has repeatedly failed.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 04:06 PM)
The constant pestering probably means nothing to Jerry/KW/Hahn, but it's worth a shot.

At this point, if the @whitesox don't sign @ynscspds, that means that they don't care about the fans at all. #cesPAYdes #WhiteSox #Cespedes

Come on Mike, you know that's not how this works.

227 pages of endless speculation. Here's one more: The Sox will go four years on Cespedes for a bit of a cut in salary. He signs for $70M total. The Sox hope that teaming him with Abreu brings out the best in Yoenis.

excuse me: 228 pages and counting LOL :P

Edited by elrockinMT

Done yet?

In this vein, it is interesting to note that Jackson's career numbers are not that far from Cespedes', in some respects:

A. Jackson .273 .333 .399 .732

Y. Cespedes .271 .319 .483 .805

If you look at his 5 year career in Detroit and compare it to Cespedes career, without that strong finish last year in N.Y., his numbers are actually better.

The question is; could Jackson's performance, after the trade to Seattle be an outlier? And, could Cespedes performance in N.Y. be one, as well?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)
In this vein, it is interesting to note that Jackson's career numbers are not that far from Cespedes', in some respects:

If you look at his 5 year career in Detroit and compare it to Cespedes career, without that strong finish last year in N.Y., his numbers are actually better.

The question is; could Jackson's performance, after the trade to Seattle be an outlier? And, could Cespedes performance in N.Y. be one, as well?

Haha, that's a stretch. Those are very different numbers.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 04:44 PM)
Haha, that's a stretch. Those are very different numbers.

OK, let's look at it this way:

A. Jackson 5 years with Detroit: .277 .342 .413 .755

Cespedes 3 years with Oakland: .262 .318 .470 .788

Cespedes 1 year with D. Tigers: .293 .323 .506 .829

Cespedes 1 year with Red Sox: .269 .296 .423 .719

I'm simply wondering if their respective performances, last season, might have been outliers.

Of course, Cespedes has more raw power, but you have to wonder if he is really as good as those numbers with the Mets suggests.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 04:29 PM)
47th in wRC+ (121) since he came into the league. That's not good enough to be considered "great".

I personally have never once thought or said that Cespedes is 'great' hitter. But he's still a massive upgrade and an elite all-around talent that should be brought aboard if we can get him on 4 years for under $100 million.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 04:35 PM)
227 pages of endless speculation. Here's one more: The Sox will go four years on Cespedes for a bit of a cut in salary. He signs for $70M total. The Sox hope that teaming him with Abreu brings out the best in Yoenis.

excuse me: 228 pages and counting LOL :P

NO way he signs a 4 year deal for under $20 million a year imo.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)

The gulf between their salaries is comparable to the gulf between them in all around talent and impact, imo. And Cespedes may/seems to be getting better, while the same can't necessarily be said of Jackson.

Having said all that, I'll take Jackson as a back-up plan if we don't get Cespedes.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)
I agree. And apparently Rick does too. Don't overpay for Cespedes. I'd like to see them go above the reported 3 years $55M, up to maybe $75M. But going 5 or 6 and nearing $150M would be a mistake. I continue to think Rick has played this out the right way.

Rick really has played this well, imo. I agree that 3/55 is a bit low for a short term deal but the most I would be willing to do would be either 3/60 or 4/75-80. I'm just not sold on Cespedes long term success as he ages. He's looking to get paid based on his 2015 numbers whereas I'm thinking about what he will be able to give the signing team over the length of the contract. I do not expect him to continue his 2015 numbers and therefore am not willing to pay as though he will.

Cespedes could end up being the classic case of a player having a career year before FA, capitalizing on with a new long term contract then regresses. That story has been written and re-written too many times.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
This is exactly what I've been saying since september

Yes sir you have! Once Cespedes came out and said he wanted 6/150 I thought, FU dude! 6 years is too long and 25M per year is too much. If a team is going to pay that or close to it, I hope that team is not the White Sox.

If anybody wants to read something that will make you roll your eyes read Scott Merkin's latest article.

It seems that he refuses to listen to projections or past metrics when judging players/teams. Atleast that's from what I gather.