Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
Agree. As long as they still upgrade the team from now until Spring Training.

Yes, just not the "we'll see where we are at and adjust near the deadline". Get as good as you can get right now, and adjust at the deadline if needed. The other way hasn't worked.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 08:56 AM)
I keep going back to raBBit's post saying that the talks have been creative and options are the sticking point. Leads me to believe that the Sox are sticking to fewer years (I might believe they'll offer four years), and they are haggling over options for an additional year or two.

If the tweet saying the Nationals offer is not good is true, then maybe the Sox truly are the only serious bidders.

I just hope this nonsense ends soon...like today.

If the only teams remaining in these discussions are only with the White Sox and Mets, and the Mets are not going beyond 1 year, why would the White Sox need to go from 3 to 4 years. The only reason I can think is if they believe Cespedes will take the Mets offer over the White Sox.

Have any other teams been linked to Cespedes?

Is Washington a serious player?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:18 AM)
If the only teams remaining in these discussions are only with the White Sox and Mets, and the Mets are not going beyond 1 year, why would the White Sox need to go from 3 to 4 years. The only reason I can think is if they believe Cespedes will take the Mets offer over the White Sox.

The Nats are the front runner according to reports this morning.

Keep in mind, the report from the Mets guy about the Nats offer not being good is probably BS.

The kid is like 12 & has bought 85-90% of his followers. His tweet got no real play either. Very telling.

I'd put much more stock into Nightengale & the Nats guy saying their offer was substantial.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)
It'll be warranted if they continue to sit on their hands until the season starts. This looks like a half finished product and will probably perform like one.

and then some posters ... yeah even me will think it all goes back to $$$$ and look at where the sox salary is at the start of the yr.... 120 mil.

i just hate looking at this that way, but it is soooo obvious , how can anyone not see.

now if the second tier of'er and another much needed position that will be great.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
And it should be. This team is stuck in the middle & makes two makes that tells fans they are going for it & then won't pony up for a game changer like Cespedes. Makes no real sense.

I just want a direction for sure. Either rebuild or go for it. Now that they've added Lawrie and Frazier to take advantage of a couple of years of this cost controlled core, they need to pony up.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 09:26 AM)
I know which is why it was making me mad to. LOL

Its like now that the Score is the Cubs network we are going to have to deal with happy joy Cub talk all day even by our resident Sox fans that are on the Score. Of course I could just not listen.

I haven't listened to that garbage station for about 7 months now and don't miss it one bit! Do the same!!

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
Jon HeymanVerified account ‏@JonHeyman 3m3 minutes ago

Nats reportedly back involved with cespedes. They seemed set in OF, but could trade to open spot. @Ken_Rosenthal on this.

Who's gonna take Werth and that terrible contract?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 04:18 PM)

for me, i would think yes.

i looked at the NL East and see that still wide open. maybe with nat't being a little fav.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 04:23 PM)
Could end up as a blessing in disguise.

If I knew the Sox were going to take the money they're offering Cespedes and use it elsewhere, I'd be totally fine with that. Just don't want to see them not get Cespedes and say he was a special circumstance and that they're going to stick with Avi.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
Could end up as a blessing in disguise.

This. Cespedes will probably revert back to his 13-14 numbers next couple years. While that is still a good player and makes the Sox better, it is worth nowhere near ~$25M a year. I will be disappointed if he goes elsewhere, but would only be truly mad if it ends up being a 3-4 year deal under $22M AAV. 4 years and $90M would be my max.