Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
True. It's not like the Sox targeted improving at 3B or Catcher or anything. The only move that matters is an OF improvement.

But the problem here is we were passed by Detroit, and still have to catch KC and Cleve...and just might be even with the Twins, who happen to have one of the better farm systems in the game again under Ryan.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 08:37 PM)
But the problem here is we were passed by Detroit, and still have to catch KC and Cleve...and just might be even with the Twins, who happen to have one of the better farm systems in the game again under Ryan.

Well of course Sox are going to be awful if nearly everyone on the team underachieves again like 2015.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 08:37 PM)
Slit my throat for me

Bob NightengaleVerified account

‏@BNightengale

The biggest surprise now is if #Nats don't sign Cespedes. They appear to be the only team interested in giving him longer than 3-year deal.

How is this not a massive red flag to everyone?

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
Slit my throat for me

‏@BNightengale

The biggest surprise now is if #Nats don't sign Cespedes. They appear to be the only team interested in giving him longer than 3-year deal.

I wonder if other teams' fanbases are just as outraged.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 08:39 PM)
They played the market wrong and got caught. They'll pay for it at the deadline is they are even close enough to a playoff spot.

How so, it's not like they couldn't have changed their mind on the 3 year length if they wanted to. Quite frankly, I don't think they trusted any of these 3 outfielders on a lengthy deal.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
How so, it's not like they couldn't have changed their mind on the 3 year length if they wanted to. Quite frankly, I don't think they trusted any of these 3 outfielders on a lengthy deal.

I think they could have. They don't need to trust them. They just won't win as many games.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
What does Danks have to do with anything? At the time he signed that extension he was every bit as valuable as Cespedes and was worth every penny. It's not his or the Sox fault that his career got derailed by a major injury.

I'm sorry I offended you.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 08:40 PM)
The only thing you can think is there is massive behind-the-scenes badness with Cespedes. The whispers of that with Puig are all over the place, but not Cespedes. Slight primadonna behavior but whatever, that's about it

I would say it's more than slight. More stories have come out about him being a diva than just about anyone I can recall when they were a free agent.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
Take a look at his previous three seasons. Unlike you, I don't view things in a vacuum to fit my narrative.

There's no vacuum.

This is the going rate for free agents.

Why is it shocking? Didn't we experience it firsthand last offseason?

Look at those ridiculous pitching contracts.

You don't develop your own players and have a borderline third quartile payroll and bottom quartile farm system, it's not the best situation to extricate yourself from...where most spending and trading becomes counterproductive but standing pat like a shark that stops swimming and floats to the bottom.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
What does Danks have to do with anything? At the time he signed that extension he was every bit as valuable as Cespedes and was worth every penny. It's not his or the Sox fault that his career got derailed by a major injury.

I believe Sox knew Danks was getting surgery before they offered that deal. I've always thought it was a terrible deal, one of KW's worst.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
Slit my throat for me

‏@BNightengale

Please, I don't want to hear "three year deal" ever mentioned again!

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
It should be, but fans want the numbers, and don't care about the rest. Until it's May, things aren't going well, and everyone is freaking out about 4 more years of Cespedes.

Exactly when in this current plan can fans reasonably expect to compete for the playoffs again?