Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (kwill @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
So what is plan B. I would hope it would be to add a player like Jackson and another starting pitcher without giving up a pick. I know our rotation is stacked with lefties but Cliff Lee is a very intriguing option to me.

I would like to see an improved outfield defense. I hope the White Sox would think about 2017 payroll flexibility as well.

I'd prefer jackson/pitcher over jackson/desmond.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)
You seem like a great guy and all, but he's got a point. Most of your posts are nearly impossible to decipher, and the ones that are decipherable are usually little one liners or agreeing with someone. And I often wonder by reading your posts if you even watch any baseball or just post about it. Guessing we're not in the minority on the board either. Again, you seem like a great guy and all and I am sure we'd get along wonderfully over a beer watching a Sox game, but your posts often just muddy the water.

The guy is from China or something, second language is English. He's actually pretty darned knowledgeable with baseball and specifically prospects. There's no need to point out someone you don't like who is t causing any harm. Personal attacks masked with beer glasses clinging, included.

Also - didn't I lose a bet about LaRoche to you last year? I think you get to pick my avatar for 2016.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
They struck out on Davidson and Avi, and you are seeing the price you pay when you don't have a farm that can cover mistakes. If we have starters in RF/3b, this is a very different offseason.

Does the fact that they struck gold with Abreu offset this? Imagine the team if they were not shrewd enough to sign him. You just can't look at the negatives. No FO is going to hit on all transactions. You need to weigh the positives and negatives together. That's why the teams that are consistently the best develop their own. The true price they are paying is from not developing their own players.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
Does the fact that they struck gold with Abreu offset this? Imagine the team if they were not shrewd enough to sign him. You just can't look at the negatives. No FO is going to hit on all transactions. You need to weigh the positives and negatives together. That's why the teams that are consistently the best develop their own. The true price they are paying is from not developing their own players.

I think the rest of my post addresses this pretty clearly.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:06 PM)
If what we believe is true with Cespedes and the top thing to him aside from money is culture, no reason we should offer more than the nats.

nice post.

but i see the amount of money being really important on many players.... they will go for the money.

so my additional question is, is there a point in money and / or yrs that many posters can honestly say, they would not be happy with???

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
I think the rest of my post addresses this pretty clearly.

I agree. I was just asking you if you thought Abreu made up for not hitting on the others. I've been dealing with grad students all day. I didn't really word it properly.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
+1

No idea why the hell this board became so negative because the Nationals submitted an offer. It's one lower than we expected except were doomed now. It honestly made me more confident as I don't think it'll be hard to beat.

Sadly Sox Fans remember all to well Tory Hunter all but signed and Angels came in and JR choking on his Turkey at Thanksgiving.We are being bombarded with 3 years only and we believe it because we know what it is that makes JR Shrek tick.$$$$ We are used to losing during Shrek`s reign as owner.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)

They have developed and have good deals for pitching which is why they have a leg to stand on.

They have failed on hitting. Davidson and Avi were MLB ready hitters they traded for. Both have major flaws that should have been seen by decent scouts. The fact Avi was sold as a potential center fielder leads me to hope whoever gave them that idea was either from anther team or is unemployed.

The inability to develop hitting needs to be addressed but until they figure that out, a bad contract is what they need to deal with...actually a couple bad contracts.

The White Sox do not spend on player development and as such either have a couple bad contracts or hope to get lucky.

When the AL central sucked (early 2000's) they could get away with this but not anymore and over the last few seasons it has caught up to them.

Nothing really new has come up since it was reported that the Nationals had offered 5/$100 or so. I would think that if talks had been as serious as we were led to believe we night have heard some more chatter. That being said, if the Nationals truly are the only team willing to go 5 years, they might get the deal done after all. The Sox could be (and should be) still working up some creative ways to sign him.

I hope this is over one way or the other tonight.

QUOTE (RaySox @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:17 PM)
I would throw Cespedes 5/100 (to match Nats) with a player opt-out after 2017.

He gets the chance to play at a hitter friendly park with friend Jose Abreu and he gets free Beggar's Pizza for the duration of the contract :D

i made my proposal and i was told it was non sensible or something. it might have been.

but with the minor league having J May and A Engel close to step in, and i am sorry but i think i lost faith in Hawkins.

i still see a 3-4 yr contract.

i like the fact that the sox should give a front loaded contract with a mutual option after 2 yrs. pay the $$$$ for a hitter.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)
its all kool.......

how many are going to sox fest..... ?????

I'm going to be there. The RH and RV town halls should have some additional security if Avi is still penciled in as the RF next week. I'm sure Robin will be asked if he has a pulse, and then Mr. Tough Guy who asks it will scurry away from the room when he does.