Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

The player that saved the Mets season was looking for a mega-deal, and now he's getting squashed in free agency

http://www.businessinsider.com/yoenis-cesp...-to-plan-2016-1

Awful lot of stuff written about the uncertainty in signing Cespedes long term. Seems more and more every day. Is there something to the " red flags " that have been written about? The smoking between innings doesn't bother me but the other stuff does to some extent.

“He doesn’t put any effort into his defense,’’ a National League scout told the Sun-Times. “He’s an immensely talented guy but he’s moody and he’s no factor whatsoever in the clubhouse. He can throw, but there’s the effort.

“When you’re looking to make an investment of 100 million dollars you want some guarantees.’’

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7/71/12...year-offer-nats

I think maybe fathom has been right all along in his views on Cespedes. I really hope the Sox have moved on and can find an outfielder elsewhere.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 07:51 PM)
http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7/71/12...year-offer-nats

I think maybe fathom has been right all along in his views on Cespedes. I really hope the Sox have moved on and can find an outfielder elsewhere.

If Chicago writers are starting to call him lazy, that is a bad sign.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 07:41 PM)

Awful lot of stuff written about the uncertainty in signing Cespedes long term. Seems more and more every day. Is there something to the " red flags " that have been written about? The smoking between innings doesn't bother me but the other stuff does to some extent.

Wait, what? Yo rips party darts between innings!? That's hilarious if true.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 07:53 PM)
Wait, what? Yo rips party darts between innings!? That's hilarious if true.

Lol, ya its been written about for a while now. I remember Caulfield bringing it up last fall. It's been coming out more and more lately. Have a look...

“Not that Cespedes is a bad guy, according to sources, so much as someone ‘who marches to his own drumbeat’ and apparently irritated the Mets at times by not taking batting practice, not hustling during games at times and constantly smoking cigarettes between innings.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-l...gn-with-a-team/

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 07:58 PM)
Problem is Fowler could come off the market to the Cubs as well. Things look bleak at the moment.

I didn't see the Fowler to the cubs info. That would put a damper on the process

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 07:56 PM)
Hey, chopped liver here.

Oh come on, you've been Cespedes BIGGEST cheerleader! :P

Just kidding. Ptatc, you have been there with fathom every step of the way. :gosoxretro:

To a lesser extent so have I since I never liked Cespedes' 6/150 asking price nor the idea of wrapping up so much money into one player on a team of 25.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 08:41 PM)

I also think teams are scared to go long term because they might think he's more 2013-2014 vs what may have been a career year in 2015. Cespedes was just a touch over league average as a hitter in 13/14.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 07:41 PM)

Now that all the bad stuff is coming out we're sure to sign him!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 01:00 AM)
hi8is has gone crazy this month...

Granted, as one who gets emotional from time to time, he's REALLY taking this hard.

In the back of your mind as a White Sox fan, you have to be conditioned to at least expect to be disappointed and then it's easier to be pleasantly surprised.

The last time I was REALLY excited about the White Sox was heading into 2009 after the 2008 playoffs and we had Beckham and Viciedo on the horizon. Probably followed more Barons games that year in the first half than White Sox games in the second half this year. Of course, almost all of the touted prospects from that team have fallen off the face of the earth.

As far as Cespedes goes, it's safe to say he's probably not going to put up another 6 WAR season. He's much more likely to be at 3-4. That would be worth roughly $24.5 per year (avg. war of 3.5) on the FA market, or basically $98 million for four.

Anything over 4 years or $100 million and the White Sox should turn somewhere else.

The end.

i really don't know what is going on, i am just reading, but when i saw this, i laugh. Hi8is really cracks me up, since he first posted.

back then he always responded in a he person like funnnyyyyy.

i know this is not about baseball, but i needed a little relief and humor.

peace

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 02:17 AM)
Heh when I heard about cigarettes in the dugout that's what I thought of....smoking on the sideline before a kick lol

sounds like he is a chain smoker maybe.

another smoker who smoke like that was Roger Maris...... the movie 61 showed him smoking like s fiend.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 08:12 PM)
I also think teams are scared to go long term because they might think he's more 2013-2014 vs what may have been a career year in 2015. Cespedes was just a touch over league average as a hitter in 13/14.

I think you're right. 13/14 is probably closer to what can be expected from Cespedes going forward. A few days ago I mentioned Cespedes could be the player we've seen have a career year just before FA and regress with his new contract. Cespedes is looking to get paid based on his career year but how many think he will continue to perform at that level for the length of the contract? Not me.