Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 12:03 AM)
Seriously?

Garcia probably won't out-HR him but I think he has a higher BA and on base %. Garcia is 24 with one full big league season under his belt. I think he takes a significant step forward this year.

Glad Sox didn't get Cespedes. Avi is the least of our worries IMO. Shortstop is a bigger problem and catcher, 2B and 3B have to produce. I've been fooled about upgrades before. I want proof on the field and in the batters box.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:09 PM)
Signing Desmond and trading Avi and Adams for CarGo. I think that would work.

Now you're at between $30-35 million in additional salary (along with a lost draft pick)...it certainly works, but would JR agree?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 06:11 AM)
Glad Sox didn't get Cespedes. Avi is the least of our worries IMO. Shortstop is a bigger problem and catcher, 2B and 3B have to produce. I've been fooled about upgrades before. I want proof on the field and in the batters box.

Avi is the most of our worries

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:13 PM)
Eaton CF

Cabrera LF

Abreu 1B

Gonzalez RF

Frazier 3B

Desmond SS

LaRoche DH

Lawrie 2B

Avila C

For a $150 million payroll, which would be about $5 million above KC and well behind Detroit.

No doubt that's the most fearsome line-up if you can keep Cargo healthy.

How much money do the White Sox realistically have to spend right now? If they aren't worried about losing a draft pick, they could add Desmond/Fowler if they wanted to continue adding to the offense instead of one big free agent OF like Cespedes?

Obviously, they could add another starting pitcher, but I don't think they will do that.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:15 PM)
What is Desmond going to cost?

Realistically?

Similar to Fowler...maybe a notch higher.

$42-48 million for three years...or a bit higher on a one year deal, which is not the best move for the Sox because they need him for two years.

Something surely will go wrong with Lawrie, Anderson, Frazier or DH.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:15 PM)
What is Desmond going to cost?

Realistically?

He turned DOWN a $107M offer already... But let's here the thoughts. This oughtta be interesting.

I think he'll take a 1 year prove it deal. Or a 3 year deal worth around 40-45 million.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:16 PM)
For a $150 million payroll, which would be about $5 million above KC and well behind Detroit.

True. Danks and LaRoche are coming off the books next year so I think it could happen.

How much money do the White Sox realistically have to spend right now? If they aren't worried about losing a draft pick, they could add Desmond/Fowler if they wanted to continue adding to the offense instead of one big free agent OF like Cespedes?

Obviously, they could add another starting pitcher, but I don't think they will do that.

They dont have any. They just whiffed on 3 straight OF's because they couldn't muster up the dough. I dont buy this "Cespedes had his heart set on New York" for a second, the dude's played for 4 teams in 2 seasons and at the onset of the offseason the Mets took themselves out of the running. The Mets, who have no money because Madoff took them to the cleaners, straight outbid the Sox.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 12:16 AM)

That team sucks. Cargo? He can't hit own weight, literally, against LHP. And he's from Colorado and costs $19M for the next TWO years!

You got $13M on the bench already and you're ready to bring in another replacement...just a little younger and even more expensive.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 05:21 AM)
They dont have any. They just whiffed on 3 straight OF's because they couldn't muster up the dough. I dont buy this "Cespedes had his heart set on New York" for a second, the dude's played for 4 teams in 2 seasons and at the onset of the offseason the Mets took themselves out of the running. The Mets, who have no money because Madoff took them to the cleaners, straight outbid the Sox.

They just gave him the largest single season outfield contract ever. It's not like Mets got a hometown discount.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:14 PM)
Greg's comment and someone typifying Avi's bat as serviceable are starting to scare me...the Sox pr campaign is starting to take find some buyers.

I think another house bet is in order...Lemon saying Avi may outproduce Cespedes on offense would be an incredibly easy bet.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:21 PM)

I'm not sure that's accurate either - the Sox probably were willing to spend money, but up to a limit and/or on their terms. They may not be willing to spend on what's left on the market either, we'll have to see.

CarGo.... What a joke.

*Edit - Ok, for Cargo the deal should be this:

Sox give: Some B spec minor

Sox get: $15M Cash

Sox get: Cargo

Anything else is a hangup. We're doing THEM a favor, even paying for more than half the $38M he's owed. I've seen guys on here talking about Adams...what????

They want to dump their garbage, pay the toll and you can get something back to save face, but let's not pretend CarGo is anything but DeAza against LHP. In fact, he's worse by -2 wRC+/

Edited by CB2.0