Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

Sure would be nice if there was some young breakout potential at positions like SS, 2B and RF. Maybe a few flaws, but potential to turn a negative into a positive.

Some ideas:

The Dodgers have a bunch of OF, why not grab Trayce Thompson? He's at least a good defender. They also have Micah Johnson, might be useful to get a LH bat in a lineup that feature Adam LaRoche as its premier LH bat. Also, Oakland's got this SS, not so good with the glove but he can hit. I think his name is Semien?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:02 PM)
God knows I have too many posts in this thread that were anti-Cespedes, but for those that wanted him....would you have been ok with paying him 27.5?

Why the hell not? If Jerry is fine throwing down 27.5 for a year why would I care? It's not stopping the team from spending going forward and we at least have a chance at the playoffs with that roster. No brainer to me.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:31 PM)
Too late for that. No rush to rebuild, all it takes is unloading Sale and you drastically improved your system.

Well here's the thing. Just because you start a rebuild doesnt mean that all it takes is 5 years and you'll be right in the playoffs. That's what they are missing. Losing now doesnt guarantee winning in the future.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:09 PM)
With you, here.

That has to be the dumbest deal in baseball history.

Just wondering...Why?

Baseball is flowing in money, it's pouring in, Just today read in USA Today where Manfred said it's getting nine billion a year in revenues. What they are paying Cespedes is basically peanuts today. The mets wouldn't have shelled that out if they didn't think they could afford it.

They came close to winning a World Series last year, they want to win it this time around.

I guess I don't understand those who worry about "fiscal responsibility" in this era.

Regarding the Sox specifically, they've got a TV deal expiring in 2019. Ratings are in the toilet, if they want to get anywhere close to what a number of other teams have signed for they need to start winning on the field.

Cespedes would have helped them. He's a better player right now than Garcia probably will ever be.

Just my opinion.

Mark

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 06:34 AM)
Well here's the thing. Just because you start a rebuild doesnt mean that all it takes is 5 years and you'll be right in the playoffs. That's what they are missing. Losing now doesnt guarantee winning in the future.

But a rebuild guarantees nothing either. With the Sox history of not developing hitters, I'm not exactly confident they can rebuild an offense from scratch if they traded Abreu and Frazier. I'm sure some will disagree, but the Sox system absolutely sucks after the top 3. You might as well trade Rodon also, as you aren't competing in his cheap years.

The only way I'm blaming anything on Hahn is if he convinced JR that one of the Big 3 would be realistic options before trading for Frazier and Lawrie.

But the only pertinent remaining question is how much do they have left to spend before the season and for who exactly.

Adding Fowler, Jackson or Desmond alone won't move the bar with fans, so they'll just have to hope this team can make it to July in competitive fashion and not completely whiff like our non-moves last season.

Otoh, sacrificing a draft pick when you convinced everyone you would only do that in special circumstances...just double down on two draft picks for the price of one (since you keep the high first rounder) and roll the dice.

Fowler/Desmond, Jackson/Desmond or CarGo/Desmond gives you three realistic options that puts you back ahead of the Tigers and Indians.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:37 PM)
But a rebuild guarantees nothing either. With the Sox history of not developing hitters, I'm not exactly confident they can rebuild an offense from scratch if they traded Abreu and Frazier. I'm sure some will disagree, but the Sox system absolutely sucks after the top 3. You might as well trade Rodon also, as you aren't competing in his cheap years.

Yep exactly. I think if it comes to that....Rick Hahn wont be here along with a ton of his staff.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 12:38 AM)
I'm kind of warming up to the idea of Desmond. Say they sign him and Jackson.

Eaton

Melky

Abreu

Frazier

Desmond

LaRoche

Lawrie

Jackson

Avila/Navarro

That isn't perfect, but it's not terrible either.

Not terrible at all, but need to see what Desmond costs. I can see LaRoche coming out of that lineup so fast....

Edited by CB2.0

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 09:38 PM)
There was when the Rox signed Parra.... I hope that's dead.

I was talking to Caufield12, though. He apparently thinks he's good (which...no).

Supposedly CarGo is not the outfielder there are shopping. Parra went there to play with CarGo.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:38 PM)
There was when the Rox signed Parra.... I hope that's dead.

I was talking to Caufield12, though. He apparently thinks he's good (which...no).

CarGo was basically MVP the second half.

Coming into last year, they were looking at eating salary. Same with LA and Ethier.

Situations change. I never loved CarGo, but the preservation of Anderson/Fulmer has to be a big part of the equation.

In reality, it's Blackmon or Dickerson anyway...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:46 PM)
I still think it's only a matter of time before we get a long article on the White Sox page about Avi's potential and how hard he's working. I expect him to start opening day..no platoon.

He's actually at a special Camp Beckham to work with Gordo and Greg Walker on a new flip technique down in Georgia according to his twitter feed.

Making season ticket calls from special sat phone on jet.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 05:46 AM)
I still think it's only a matter of time before we get a long article on the White Sox page about Avi's potential and how hard he's working. I expect him to start opening day..no platoon.

It's like the Sox were trolling their fans today having Avi call about tickets. Maybe the Bulls will have Mirotic call tomorrow.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 11:49 PM)
It's like the Sox were trolling their fans today having Avi call about tickets. Maybe the Bulls will have Mirotic call tomorrow.

The Bulls are another story...players dont give a s*** and Hoiberg looks like he's under water right now.